Noisy mf-104m artifacts at short delay settings

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Gladmarr

Noisy mf-104m artifacts at short delay settings

Post by Gladmarr » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:22 pm

Is there a way to get those super weird delay artifacts that you usually get by setting the mf-104m waaaay past the normal delay time at shorter delay times? Multipliers? Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Gladmarr

Re: Noisy mf-104m artifacts at short delay settings

Post by Gladmarr » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:57 pm

No ideas? Has anyone tried this? I suppose I could just try it myself.... :roll:

aaronharmon

Post by aaronharmon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:25 pm

It's my understanding that there are delay multipliers hidden in the pedal that can be accessed by using a midi interface. I watched a video where a guy was changing the multipliers using an IPAd. Im sure there are plenty of videos about this. This may be what youre looking for.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:05 am

I would get artifacts that sounded like ring modulation on my Z when the pitch was going towards the end of the BBD's useful range. Does yours do that at all frequencies?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:05 pm

The M will do that at the longest delay settings as well. I just wanted to get that weird sound at short delay times. It's musically unusable, but that's why I like it.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:11 pm

Those artifacts are precisely due to the fact the delay timeis very long: they come from the BBD clock "underclocking". I guess you won't be able to have them at "normal" time valules.

Anyone correct me.

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Could I get them on a Clusterflux? Considering that's only designed for short delay - maybe using te multipliers and no modulation.... Hmmmm.....

facon

Post by facon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:09 pm

You can get a bit of a slapback out of the cluster flux, but the background noise will be really loud. Not in a cool way. When I try it all the way up, the hiss is almost as loud as the effect.

Perhaps you could look into an effect that you'd plug into the feedback loop? Like a WMD Geiger Counter?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:18 pm

Gladmarr wrote:Could I get them on a Clusterflux? Considering that's only designed for short delay - maybe using te multipliers and no modulation.... Hmmmm.....
I think the multipliers control the BBD clock, i.e. they will just set the delay time. But then again, if this time is in a "normal" range, there sis no reason the BBD sounds weird.
I mean this is not a matter of the way the time is set, this is a matter of the time value itself.

As far as the ClusterFlux goes, I cannot say whether it supports extreme clocking.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:01 pm

The delay multiplier is just that, it takes the stock "quiet" range and multiplies by a factor of 2, 4 or 8. When at 8 for example, the shortest delay time is longer, and the max delay time is much longer. In between the two exrtremes, you will retain the quiet portion and quickly get into the noisy artifact and clock noises. In other words, you get upto 400ms of heavy artifact delay time.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:48 pm

I just tried it, and you do indeed get a longer, useable delay time. However, the BBD chips whine and howl at that extended (8x) range. You can't do anything useful over the howling…. Booooo!

Thanks for all your input. It was a useful experiment.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:41 pm

I built a kit that PAiA made; a (ph)flanger/chorus tabletop unit that you could crank the delay down into very noisy territory. It was cool for a limited type of effect.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:12 pm

I have found a bunch of uses for both the noise and the degrading awesomeness. It is musical when you add a midi controller / play the knobs. If you have a parametric EQ you can dial the wining frequency back a bit & pull all others forward. Other effects work to move some noise to the side so to speak... Of course others make it worse.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:21 am

For all the noise the Clusterflux made at that longest delay setting, it would take a lot of subtractive EQ to clean it up. For whatever reason, I don't like to dig that deep with EQ. Just my own personal idiosyncrasy. I do live using that sound on the MF-104, so I'll just stick with it there. Moog should do a mod where users can select the number of delay chips in use - that coud produce some wonderfully noisy results.

radioland

Post by radioland » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:23 pm

Nice thread - I like to overclock my MF-104M too.

I`m not sure if mentioning products form other manufacturers in this forum is kosher, but as I have no connections to the manufacturer, I think it`s safe: From looking at the description and watching some videos about koma elektroniks BD101, this thing seems to have been built for exactly what you are looking for: Going crazy with short delay settings. It sounds like a seriously overclocked delay to me.
So maybe you can`t go there with the MF-104M (if you can, I`m also interested in the "how to"), but with other gear.
Since this effect is not what you want for most of the users, it`s likely to be hard to come by...

Cheers, radioland
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-107 (3), MF-108M, CP-251 (2), EP-2, Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute, Fender 50s Precision Bass, EBS Valve Drive, Lehle Sunday Driver, EHX Big Muff Pi, EHX Stereo Pulsar, TC Electronic Trinity Reverb, Logic Pro X