New MF-104M firmware. Time LED, tap tempo fixes

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Amos

Re: New MF-104M firmware. Time LED, tap tempo fixes

Post by Amos » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:40 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:I wonder if there is a "MIDI merge" function like on the Phatty. That would allow you to transmit the sysEx from the computer to the Sub and having the later transmitting it to the 104 through MIDI...
Yes there is such a function. You can use a Sub Phatty as a USB MIDI interface in this way... in the Sub Phatty Editor, Preferences page, you can set
Merge USB Input: to the option "DIN Only" and this will pass any MIDI received at the USB (from the computer) out the DIN output (to your 104, in this case). It should work fine. I would recommend not touching any of the Sub Phatty keys/knobs while using it to send firmware to another machine, though... you don't want to add any random MIDI notes into the middle of a firmware update. Aside from that caution, though, I would expect it to be successful.

radioland

Post by radioland » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:59 pm

Amos wrote:You can use a Sub Phatty as a USB MIDI interface in this way... in the Sub Phatty Editor, Preferences page, you can set
Merge USB Input: to the option "DIN Only" and this will pass any MIDI received at the USB (from the computer) out the DIN output (to your 104, in this case). It should work fine. I would recommend not touching any of the Sub Phatty keys/knobs while using it to send firmware to another machine, though... you don't want to add any random MIDI notes into the middle of a firmware update. Aside from that caution, though, I would expect it to be successful.
Thanks for your help - the the midi merge function worked with my Sub Phatty and my MF-104M. Everything worked the way the readme-file described. But I still have a problem: While the new firmware is sent, the middle LED changes 3 times from green to red and then stays solid green. No booting up again, no sound. When I unplug the power supply and plug it back in, all the lights flash orange once and then the three bottom LEDs stay solid green, still no sound. What went wrong?
It was the same way with C6 and Sysex Librarian, and both showed that the loading of the new firmware had been completed, so I assume that the booting up with the new firmware never took place.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks again for your great work and help!

Cheers, radioland
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-107 (3), MF-108M, CP-251 (2), EP-2, Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute, Fender 50s Precision Bass, EBS Valve Drive, Lehle Sunday Driver, EHX Big Muff Pi, EHX Stereo Pulsar, TC Electronic Trinity Reverb, Logic Pro X

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:57 am

Thanks for the update, however I get a similar, yet different problem with my MF-104M firmware update..

I was able to send the message that erases the existing firmware as per the instructions, but after that, the MF-104M returns to bootloader mode with the 3 LED's solid green again. I then try and send the new firmware, but instead of the 'Level' LED blinking, it stays solid red and never seems to receive the firmware update. This leaves the MF-104M in a limbo state (bootloader mode again when re-booted) and not working.

I tried both Bome's SendSX and MIDI-OX. There doesn't seem to be a problem with either program as the existing firmware erase message was sent with no problems.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
David
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

electronicpoison

Post by electronicpoison » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:35 pm

i configure the sysex buffer in option menu input and output to 2048 bytes. (midiox) .for me it is working!

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:05 pm

electronicpoison wrote:i configure the sysex buffer in option menu input and output to 2048 bytes. (midiox) .for me it is working!
Cheers, I'll give that a try tonight! I think I tried half of that with no luck.

David
NZ
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

MusicMax

Post by MusicMax » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:22 am

Hi,
I installed update but level led no longer functions. What can I do? level led does light when first powered up. It used to work just fine on old firmware. Do I have to go back to old firmware?

jimkost2002

Post by jimkost2002 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi Amos

i downloaded the new firmware and was able to ge to boot loader mode but cannot install firmware.
I still have rate light staying red. I'm using a Mac with sysex.
Any help is appreciated!

thanks
Jim

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:21 pm

jimkost2002 wrote:Hi Amos

i downloaded the new firmware and was able to ge to boot loader mode but cannot install firmware.
I still have rate light staying red. I'm using a Mac with sysex.
Any help is appreciated!

thanks
Jim
Same here for me, still. I've tried a few different MIDI OX sysex buffer configurations, as suggested by electronicpoison above, with slightly different outcomes. All result in no firmware update (complete, anyway) making it to the MF-104M. Trying larger buffer byte values gets the level LED blinking red/green briefly, followed by solid red and no auto-reboot. If rebooted, it stays in bootloader mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions for value combinations for the sysex buffer, or anything else that might help?

I'm going hunting tomorrow most likely, so I likely won't be able to report back until after Easter.

David
NZ

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:07 am

Hello Everyone!!!

Andy Hughes from the Moog Tech Department here...

I was able to replicate this issue with the new firmware installation that ends with an LED "frozen" either green or red using Sysex Librarian on a Mac. I was using an Emu Tab 1X1. However, I was able to fix this unit no problem by taking it to a Windows computer and using MIDI-Ox to reinstall the firmware. So the units are not damaged or "bricked", it is just that the firmware installation is not completing.

So here are some things to try to get past this lock up during the install:

1) Make sure that whatever USB to MIDI converter that you are using has the most up to date drivers.
2) Try a different Sysex handler. C6 is also usable on Mac, this may help. (http://www.elektron.se/products_section ... anager-osx)
3) When using Sysex Librarian, do NOT have multiple .syx files highlighted when you hit Play, as sending things as batches seems to confuse the install.
4) One of my customers was able to get it to install using Sysex Librarian after failures by adjusting the transfer speed to about 25%.
4) If none of this helps, find a friend with a Windows computer and try installing it using MIDI Ox. I know this works just fine.
5) Also, I have noticed some of the USB to MIDI converters are not as great as they used to be. I have had good experiences with the older gray Emu 1X1 and with the M-Audio MIDISPORT UNO(which is available at Best Buy for $20-$30). I hate to suggest buying different hardware to solve a problem, but such is life. :)

If anyone else has problems or success after a failure please let me know, and share your solutions here as well. You can reach me at [email protected] or by phone (828)-251-0090 xt. 221

Thanks,
Andy Hughes
Service Department Manager
Moog Music, Inc.

facon

Post by facon » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:15 am

I used Midi-Ox with a M-Audio Midisport Uno. The update worked great. I do recall having to change some settings in Midi-Ox so it wouldn't freeze up, but cannot remember what I did off the top of my head.

jimkost2002

Post by jimkost2002 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:15 am

Successful install!
I used Sysex Librarian on a Mac running current OS 9.2.
Buffer set to 25%
MIDI interface was a M Audio UNO

radioland

Post by radioland » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:55 pm

Control_Voltage wrote:4) One of my customers was able to get it to install using Sysex Librarian after failures by adjusting the transfer speed to about 25%.
Hello Andy

Thanks for your help!

I managed to successfully install the new firmware on a Mac with Sysex Librarian. I used the MIDI merge function of the Sub Phatty editor and adjusted the transfer speed in the Sysex Librarian preferences to 25%.

The new firmware itself works great, so I`m totally happy and satisfied :D .

Thanks again,

radioland
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-107 (3), MF-108M, CP-251 (2), EP-2, Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute, Fender 50s Precision Bass, EBS Valve Drive, Lehle Sunday Driver, EHX Big Muff Pi, EHX Stereo Pulsar, TC Electronic Trinity Reverb, Logic Pro X

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Sorry I've been away from the computer for a bit, but I managed to get the new firmware installed into the MF-104M!

Instead of trying to use my USB-MIDI DIN cable with no luck, I decided to try the MIDI Merge idea (similar to radioland's use of the Sub Phatty above), using one of my other Moog devices (I ended up using a Moog MP-201 Multi Pedal). I used USB from my PC to the MP-201, and MIDI DIN from the MP-201 to the MF-104M, while setting up the correct MIDI Merge routing in the MP-201's menu system. It worked perfectly after that - using Bome's SendSX with default settings.

Thanks Moog! :D

David
NZ

alexone

Post by alexone » Fri May 02, 2014 12:53 pm

I manage to install the new firmware by using another free software than midiox (but infortunately, I didn't remember of the name, I think it's "midi monitor" :oops: )

oblis

Post by oblis » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:31 pm

Control_Voltage wrote:Hello Everyone!!!

Andy Hughes from the Moog Tech Department here...

I was able to replicate this issue with the new firmware installation that ends with an LED "frozen" either green or red using Sysex Librarian on a Mac. I was using an Emu Tab 1X1. However, I was able to fix this unit no problem by taking it to a Windows computer and using MIDI-Ox to reinstall the firmware. So the units are not damaged or "bricked", it is just that the firmware installation is not completing.

So here are some things to try to get past this lock up during the install:

1) Make sure that whatever USB to MIDI converter that you are using has the most up to date drivers.
2) Try a different Sysex handler. C6 is also usable on Mac, this may help. (http://www.elektron.se/products_section ... anager-osx)
3) When using Sysex Librarian, do NOT have multiple .syx files highlighted when you hit Play, as sending things as batches seems to confuse the install.
4) One of my customers was able to get it to install using Sysex Librarian after failures by adjusting the transfer speed to about 25%.
4) If none of this helps, find a friend with a Windows computer and try installing it using MIDI Ox. I know this works just fine.
5) Also, I have noticed some of the USB to MIDI converters are not as great as they used to be. I have had good experiences with the older gray Emu 1X1 and with the M-Audio MIDISPORT UNO(which is available at Best Buy for $20-$30). I hate to suggest buying different hardware to solve a problem, but such is life. :)

If anyone else has problems or success after a failure please let me know, and share your solutions here as well. You can reach me at [email protected] or by phone (828)-251-0090 xt. 221

Thanks,
Andy Hughes
Service Department Manager
Moog Music, Inc.
Argh...this just happened to me trying the latest update using a mac, EMU tab 1x1, and trying both Sysex Librarian and C6. Is there a way to set the Sub37 to use it as a USB to DIN interface?