Stereo MF-101

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
ClintAu

Stereo MF-101

Post by ClintAu » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:27 pm

Is it possible to use two MF-101s in parallel, with some kind of synchronisation of knobs via CV? Eg, if I move the filter cutoff of the primary MF-101, it changes the other. Does this work ok in practice or do the left/right channels phase?
Moogerfoogers, Minitaur, Win10. Previously: Slim Phatty, Voyager

EMwhite

Re: Stereo MF-101

Post by EMwhite » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:26 pm

Curious. What was your thought on differentiating the Left and Right Channels? If you want to synchronize Cutoff amount, which parameter did you want to set differently, or to have in motion in a different way?

The only 'output' CV on the MF-101 is the Envelope Out which tracks amplitude of input signal and you can send it to the other Fooger but there is nothing stopping you from keeping both Cutoff or resonance knobs CCW then applying a buffered CV source (possibly from a CP-251 or VX-351) slightly offset to do something interesting.

If you are playing a Stereo synth, have a pluck sound with a fair decay which possibly has delay built in and use the Envelope follower, that in itself will be of interest without even worrying about any differences in settings.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:33 pm

ClintAu wrote:Is it possible to use two MF-101s in parallel, with some kind of synchronisation of knobs via CV? Eg, if I move the filter cutoff of the primary MF-101, it changes the other. Does this work ok in practice or do the left/right channels phase?
You can do it by tuning the cutoff when self oscillating. Make both oscillate, tune both to each other, and use scaled CV, which you can test by comparing and tuning octaves. You might have mult and use two different attenuators to get is perfect. But with lower resonance, it doesn't really matter, just do it by ear and see what sounds cool.

facon

Post by facon » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:40 pm

Couldn't you use an expression pedal -> CP-251 four way -> both CV Cutoff inputs on the MF-101? There may be a cheaper DIY solution, but the CP-251 is cool enough to own regardless.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:05 am

This is essentially what the Voyager does with the Spacing knob. You can run these in LR channels or in mono and you will get two distinct sweeps. Imagine if you will, you have the two cutoff freqs slightly apart. When you do a wide sweep it almost sounds like a slapback or slightly longer delay (on similar resonance settings).
I don't have two 101 units to try this out to see if they phase each other out but this would best be achieved by simple multiple and a pedal as facon mentioned or a DIY breakout box of some type. If you didn't want to purchase the CP-251 just for the mult, then just buy a multiple module from dotcom or make one if you are handy.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ClintAu

Post by ClintAu » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:45 pm

EMwhite: I actually *don't* want L/R differentiated. I want to have a stereo Moog filter, basically.

Thanks guys for the ideas. I have a CP-251, but was hoping for a simple Fooger-Fooger solution that can be plugged in all the time and not waste patching space.
Moogerfoogers, Minitaur, Win10. Previously: Slim Phatty, Voyager

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Check out the user manual for a MuRF. It has stereo outputs, different frequencies go to left or right. It doesn't sound like you need the MIDI model and deals are out there on used units.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Ledbetter wrote:Check out the user manual for a MuRF. It has stereo outputs, different frequencies go to left or right. It doesn't sound like you need the MIDI model and deals are out there on used units.
That is dual mono. He wants a stereo filter which means both outputs the exact same, but different L/R inputs. If he has a cp-251 it is not difficult, just tune the cutoffs like I said at self oscillation, and use a multed expression pedal to sweep the filters. If the mult does not track as good as you want it to, then use an attenuator on the cp-251 to scale them correctly using octaves on the oscillating filter.