MF 101 So Noisy

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
[email protected]

MF 101 So Noisy

Post by [email protected] » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:13 am

Hi everyone,
I recently got the low pass filter and though it sounded great the noise when plugged into a guitar amp was terrible, really hissy.I contacted the shop and they sent it off for repair and it came back exactly the same. So i took it to the repair place myself and the very nice man there changed the pcb for a new one and if that doesn't work it. must be an impedance issue.unfortunately it didn't work and the hiss coming from this thing renders it unusable into a guitar amp. the unit does this no matter where the drive is set, in fact nothing has to be connected to the input even, as soon as the output goes to the amp its there, the bypass switch has no effect on the hiss.i then tried it on synth into the low pass into the di on the mic pre and this worked fine! anyone have any ideas? as I'm a guitarist primarily this is a real shame!
thanks people!
pat

stiiiiiiive

Re: MF 101 So Noisy

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:48 am

Hey Patrick.

This may be a PSU issue. You had other hiss/noise problems with your other foogers and I would start to think it might come from something else than the units themselves...

Have you been using the same PSU? Have you tried in another location, or even another power point? Have you been using other PSUs than the ones provided with the foogers?

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:01 am

The 101 can be susceptible to hiss. Usually it is created from another source - like power lines. I shielded mine using some simple copper tape on the insides of the wood panels, then moved it to another location, then separated it from the power supply as far as it could go.

Then I moved and it has been whisper quiet ever since :D

Much like a wah pedal able to exploit radio signals, it can produce static from electrical sources. The shielding did lessen the hiss, but not eliminate it. I also noticed that it only happened when my amp was plugged in (tubes), so recording direct was not an issue. Now it's never an issue. I went from old house with questionable wiring, to a new house with very good wiring. Everything is quieter.

You could try a Furman power conditioner & shielding. Be sure your amp is on a good grounded circuit. Try putting the 101 on a different electrical circuit from your amp (usually the furman or pedal power type supplies create enough separation).
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

facon

Post by facon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:29 am

Did the tech that swapped the pcb recreate the noise issue using his own gear? I'm assuming he verified that it was the pedal before going through with that. If not, try ruling out one thing at a time. Try a different amp, guitar cable, outlet, PSU, etc.

I haven't had any noise you wouldn't expect from analog gear by using my MF-101, but I've never used the supplies adapter. I keep the drive all the way down for guitar.

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:37 am

Mine is very noisy if I'm not using original power supply. I have really good power supply made by my tech with voltage regulators for lasers and all isolated, and all other guitar effects that I use are totally silent except the foogers. Especially 101 is so hissy that I can't stand it.
Ever since I run them all on original power adapters.

I should try the shielding trick!
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:03 pm

Thankyou everyone for the replies,
Hi steiiiive!
yes i was using a power brick before and since using the footers wall warts they are all ok. Except the mf 101!
Its really noisy, the tech didn't test it through a guitar amp, only direct…
He said it probably is an impedance issue?
What i don't understand is that some peoples mf101's are noise free with guitars while others are not…
Its a shame to of spent the money and its unusable for me, i bought it because it said it can be used with guitars…
Ive sent an email to moog, lets see what they say.
its strange because like i say the other 6 footegs are fine..
thanks again,
pat

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:00 am

Just try to use the original power supply :wink:
For me, this is only option.
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:20 am

I found that if i put a reamp box between the fooger and the amp the hiss seems to go..taking it from line level to instrument i guess..
A workaround is to do this an put it in its own loop..not ideal though.
Its the only fooger that does this, does anyone know if the output on the mf101 differs from the others?
cheers,
pat

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Likely the ferrite filter in the Reamp is removing the hiss frequencies. That's probably your best bet to keep them at bay!
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.