MIidi Murf hiss!

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Alien8

Re: MIidi Murf hiss!

Post by Alien8 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks for sharing. MuRF is a great experience, especially with / because of it's analog oddities.
Last edited by Alien8 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

alfonso

Post by alfonso » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:45 pm

the Midi murf is great and very unique. if you are a guitarist though be prepared you will need an impedance matching device like a reamp box or the Pigtronix keymaster or the Lehle Parallel L (mono only). otherwise the performance will be very poor like many people have mentioned many times on this board.

currently i am using the lehle parallel L but it has the mono restriction. I will try reamp boxes after the murf once I get my hands on some. I have good hope that this might cure the hiss because from all the testing I have done I could conclude that the problem is in the murfs output stage and what it is connected to. but pushing the input into the murf helps as well. at some point you'll run into distortion though.

productive ideas on this problem are very welcome.
Last edited by alfonso on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:04 pm

... starting by yours: using an impedance swiss knife and pushing as far as bearable the input signal. This could be valuable to anyone experiencing the same problem as you.

You might want to edit your first post to indicate that you have a partial solution, available in page 2. I know some people may be discouraged by the sarcasms and higher voices of the first page: I was :)

In all case, if you experience any problem with Moog products, you can contact their tech support meanwhile posting here as they are generally quite responsive.

Hope you'll find a way to use your MurF a 100%. I have to say I'm still not decided whether I should keep mine or not...

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Thank-YOU for finally following your own advice of offering something useful to this thread!!

If the problem is specifically that the MuRF needs to see a high impedance input signal, then a decent & simple buffer will do the trick.

A DIY Buffer can cost a few dollars to make: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2014/08/buffers.html. These are so small you could mount it inside the MuRF, your guitar or some other sneaky place like a really large enclosure so everyone thinks that there's magic inside.

It would be interesting to hear if you experience the same issue with a BOSS or other non true bypass pedal running in front - one that isn't geared specifically for splitting signals, just another pedal. It shouldn't matter really, just might be interesting for others who also wish to remedy what you experience.
Last edited by Alien8 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

alfonso

Post by alfonso » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:23 pm

I’ll definitely keep it because there’s really no alternative on the market. there’s midi synced and sequenced filters for guitar like the zvex seek wah, but that’s just one filter, not 8 like in the murf. it rather sweeps the cutoff points unlike the murf which fades the 8 filter bands up and down. the result is quite different and I like it much better than the lame old wahwah-like filter sweeps. I do wish though that some other company would do a it’s own take on the murf that works well with guitar. or that moog updates the murf.

so far i haven’t been 100% successful figuring out a way to make it work. especially finding a solution that is within reason both financially and considering space on my pedal board which is a stereo setup.

a buffer upfront to bring the impedance down alone won’t cure it. the problem also seems to be about how the murfs output interacts with the amps input. i tried buffers in every combination with the murf with no success. dedicated buffer boxes as well as non-true bypass pedals. i hope a reamp box after the murf will help but that’s just a guess.

so far the best but most expense partial solution is the rare breed of active line level true bypass loopers like the lehle parallel or the pigtronix keymaster which I have yet to try.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:59 am

Okay, glad you got it figured out and won't buy any more Moog products.

Buh bye...

Stephen

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:58 am

Alien8 wrote:If the problem is specifically that the MuRF needs to see a high impedance input signal, then a decent & simple buffer will do the trick.
I don't have everything with me at the moment to try it myself, but...

Here's something I believe is designed just for this kind of situation:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZBox
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:58 am

http://www.empresseffects.com/buffer+.html#

This may work well too - a little cheaper than the others mentioned ( except for the Zbox, which looks interesting!)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Alien8 wrote:http://www.empresseffects.com/buffer+.html#

This may work well too - a little cheaper than the others mentioned ( except for the Zbox, which looks interesting!)
Even cheaper without boost :)