It is great to finally be back!

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Bryan B

It is great to finally be back!

Post by Bryan B » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:07 pm

I have to admit that I sold my MoogerFooger Modular a while back and stopped frequenting this forum around that time. I used the money from that to buy a bunch of Moog style modules which got me pretty far very fast! I have since built up 6 rows of modules and it is nearing a point where I don't need to expand it any further.

I love the modular format of Moog style modules, but since I sold my MoogerFoogers I have always been missing some of the quirkier, unexpected and heavily textured sounds that I was getting from the Fooger Modular. I still can't tell you which Foogers I was using in certain tracks I made because I get sucked into listening to it rather than critiquing the technique used to make them.

I got a CP-251 again in trade a couple years ago. Recently I met a guy who had an ungodly amount of MoogerFoogers and it got me thinking about them all over again. I found a MF-102 Ring Modulator for insanely cheap last week and so the MoogerFooger Modular begins once again!

On a side note I was lucky enough to buy a MemoryMoog (in great condition with all voice cards tuning up and a working Kenton Midi Kit inside), which was a dream come true. The sounds and thickness of it is really amazing! Every note or chord reminds me of a CS-80 (without the beloved aftertouch).

Anyone know if there will be a Midi version of the Freqbox anytime in the future? I would assume they make a bunch of one Fooger and then sell them all before making a new version, but maybe I am wrong? Midi would be a great addition to that since it is IMO the best Oscillator in the Fooger lineup.

I am still saddened to see that there has not been a cool VC ADSR or even AR style envelope Fooger. I would think something like the Serge Universal Slope generator would be perfect for all kinds of guitar based and modular uses. I know there is an envelope follower, but that is not ideal for my brain as it only follows something else. I would also love to see a trigger or voltage sequencer for these. I understand these are basic things that may not immediately apply to guitar effects as most of the others do.

I really just wanted to say hi and that it is nice to come here again. This place is still awesome.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

EricK

Re: It is great to finally be back!

Post by EricK » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:22 pm

Bryan,
Hey you are a great contributor, you don't have to own Moog stuff to comment here. Congrats on the acquisitions, though the only time people are done expanding their modulars is when they are dead.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:33 pm

I got sucked into the MF modular approach a year or two ago. Now I have 12 Foogers, a CP-251, VX-351 (to go with my Voyager), and two MP201 pedals. Just put together a 4 panel Serge system to interconnect with it all (there goes a few years of savings...)

But yes, it's all good.

Stephen

Headphones

Post by Headphones » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:15 am

Just wanted to let you know, GuitarCenter has a few MF's online, if you don't mind buying used. (But they sell new ones as well). I notice they try to re-sell the original MF-105 most the time, but 102's and 107's pop up as well. Sometimes they throw in a expression pedal, so you can get a good bargain, if you don't mind it used.

I just finally got my MF-104m, and it took me almost 6 months to get it home, but the wait was worth it. Just the way the Bucket Brigade chips just warp any sound it receives into strange sounds or textures I don't think any regular delay pedal or effect box would.

I used to have a MF-101, but it got lost to the pawn shop ages ago. I might need to look into getting another, but it can wait. Trying to decide on a 103, 108, or cp-251...

Good times!

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:42 pm

Bryan B! Nice to see you here! I also started with a Moogerfooger setup with an MF-101, 102, 105B, 107 and a CP-251 which wetted my modular appetite enough that I sold them all about 4 years ago and started my Modular synth obsession. I now have a small size Moog 1P style cabinet with MU style modules, but I always jonesed for the MURF, as it is so unique, and can add motion and movement to a drone oscillator. I finally got another MF105B off of eBay, then I got a white MF103 ( I have always loved phasers) on a Stupid Deal of the Day from MF, and I found a used MF102 for a steal of a price at a Guitar Show. I now need to rack these up along with a patch bay, as well as my recently acquired Minitaur. Another recent acquisition, a LP Stage II with CV Outs will also help to control my Moogers and my modular!

It is good to be back!
MF 102,White MF 103, MF 105B, Minitaur, and an LP Stage II w/ CV Out Mod as well!

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:33 pm

When you want a Phaser, freq box or ring mod, hit me up. I have spare of those still. I still use the Murf with the big MU all the time. I use it like an animated ffb. And since it can be clocked by a sequencer...
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:27 am

Hi MuffWiggler friends!

I now have the full set of Foogers (I only have the one midi MF delay of the multiple delays they released) and hope to build a custom case for them at some point. I just have to guess if Moog will release more foogers or not hahah.

I also still have a Pigtronix Attack Decay that I bought to help fill the envelope void. I had pulled it apart to modify it and ended up putting it back together (mods reversed).

I am also running an Oberkorn sequencer with them for CV and gate.

I still wish there was a dedicated mixer and a loopable envelope in the Fooger line.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Only one of each Fooger? :)

I'm a bit hooked on them, currently I'm running 14 Foogers together with the VX and CP modules as well as an MP-201.

Some duplicates are less essential while others will stay with me for a long time. Having two Ring Mods is absolutely great as is having two Phasers. One ClusterFlux seems to be enough as well as one Filter (unless I'm processing a stereo signal and mult up a control pedal to sweep the frequency of both of them simultaneously). So I will be paring down somewhat, though some of the duplicates are really great. The FreqBox is one of the least understood and most underused of all the boxes. Anything from subharmonic generation to following a complex signal from my modular in Sync mode.

And as a recent thread here showed, the more ways you experiment with hooking them together the better.

Stephen

Last edited by Vsyevolod on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:25 am

Yes, only one of each for now. I haven't found room for the ones I have yet!

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Good news! I came up with a great way for you to make room for your new Fooger love fest...

Just send me the case of modules on the left and you'd be amazed how many Foogers you can fit in that same space.

Stephen

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:27 am

So very kind of you to offer! Hahah

I was thinking of getting rid of those slide drawers and putting shelves back in. They were supposed to save me room, but the my newer keyboards don't fit in them. I didn't like pull drawers as much as I had hoped anyway.

As far as a custom cabinet for the Foogers, I built these 2 modular cabinets for myself and love them. I want the Foogers mounted to a hinged board, so I can lift the board and patch them. I have some rough concepts, but that doesn't mean I am ready to build anything just yet. I think I will also need to make some custom modules to form a complete synth from them.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:36 am

Bryan B wrote:Yes, only one of each for now. I haven't found room for the ones I have yet!

Wow - nice modular! I recognize some of what's there, but what really caught my eye is the panel with the 'V' shaped arrangement of jacks on the top row. What is that?

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:41 am

The "V" shaped jack module is a Bride Chamber MOTM panel of a Ken Stone PCB DIY project. It is a bit hard to describe, but it has an input voltage and an offset CV input. The input becomes a center voltage at the bottom of the "V" and both sides are equally spaced voltage outputs that your offset CV spreads evenly. I liken it to the THX intro when controlling the pitch of multiple oscillators. The center will stay and one side will go down in pitch while the other will go up in pitch. I bought it used and had to rewire it all, but it was worth it! I also drilled out the extra holes for 2 more jacks and a switch while I was at it (seemed weird to not have inputs for the main input and CV input).

I have a lot of ideas to try with this module, but I get distracted and forget sometimes. I imagine it would be really fun with LFO's or envelopes!

PCB and Scematics:
http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs37_cv_cluster.html

Bride Chamber Panel:
http://bridechamber.com/C_CV_Cluster.html

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:54 pm

This thread keeps popping up every 6 months or so...

Here is how I access the back side of the Foogers, just make an inverted 'T' and angle the top end. The Fooger rear feet sit on this lip and don't move around much at all. Gives me clear and easy access while maintaining minimal table space.

Stephen