Tape Delay vs. MF-104(z,sd)

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:29 am

I replaced the 8 echo dr. excerpt with a new one - same link, different mix. I took out the drums, the first delay you hear is the MF-104, then the Space Echo comes in. And, in trying to keep Moog in the picture, you can hear the vintage Minimoog (not mine unfortunately) much better!
Last edited by hieronymous on Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arpmoogscience

Post by Arpmoogscience » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:00 pm

I have a 201 and 301. the 201 does not have sound on sound on a stock unit. If your 201 is not feeding back it may need a tape change,cleaning
and slight tweek. there easy machines to maintain.
If you need help with this let me know and ill post the info.
Im tired right now and must take a nap.:)

OLFAudio

Post by OLFAudio » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:19 pm

A-
If you have lit on maitaining the space echo I would love to see it. Beyond changing the tape and cleaning the heads I've never looked into tweaking it. Mine does feedback and sounds great but the sample posted had a much longer feedback than mine every has had. I was pretty sure it was a 301 but hieronymous claims it is a 201 so I'm kinda baffled.

Thanks

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:06 pm

what does "sound on sound" mean anyway?

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:25 am

Sound on Sound plays back the tape echoes that have been recorded, allowing you to play your instrument dry over it...I think that's what its been doing the whole time...but while jamming recently my friend hooked some ill loop, then put it on SOS mode, and I was playing rhodes over THAT, but the rhodes was recording as well!! I couldn't figure it out...
Anyway...

:idea:
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:49 am

crazy vintage analog gear! :D

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:01 am

yo, analog gear is the hype!! i'm soooooo glad i made the switch...its all helpin me get to where i love to be creatively, & that's the most important part, digs!

my cuz is gettin his little music studio together, w/classic sampers as the base...i'm tryin to get him into the analog thing...realtime controls, knobs, organic sounds, spontaneous unexplainable sounds that have no rhyme or reason behind em...that's one thing i love about so much of this analog gear; the lovely lovely random factor...just when you think you've dialed in all the settings, you know why the sound sounds like it does, some OTHER element creeps in & adds some inconceivable flavor! That's the Moog magic for sure!!

i dunno...still contemplating the 104Z, but I really like the BuRF... so i might get that one first...
lovin the Echoplex...word

MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:22 am

Musashidan wrote:yo, analog gear is the hype!! i'm soooooo glad i made the switch...its all helpin me get to where i love to be creatively, & that's the most important part, digs!
hear hear! 8)
my cuz is gettin his little music studio together, w/classic sampers as the base...i'm tryin to get him into the analog thing...realtime controls, knobs, organic sounds, spontaneous unexplainable sounds that have no rhyme or reason behind em...that's one thing i love about so much of this analog gear; the lovely lovely random factor...just when you think you've dialed in all the settings, you know why the sound sounds like it does, some OTHER element creeps in & adds some inconceivable flavor! That's the Moog magic for sure!!
A combination of both seems like the ideal to me - despite a proliferation of analog stuff in my home studio, my Mac and Protools is what allows it all to happen...
i dunno...still contemplating the 104Z, but I really like the BuRF... so i might get that one first... lovin the Echoplex...word
As long as you're not playing out all the time and having to drag the echoplex all over the place, then the 104Z seems kind of redundant? I'm contemplating a BuRF at some point too - had no interest until the bass version came out... :idea:

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:17 pm

yes, redundancy is the issue, however upon listening to some of the earlier submitted sound bytes, the differences at least in sound is drastically different. Also the modular CV stuff is present in the 104, so that does warrant some consideration. :shock:

But when I saw the BuRF, looked closely at the cutoff frequencies, I realized that this is the MuRF I've been waiting for, I didn't even have to listen to the demos. Jeez, I know this started as a delay based thread, but I have meandered to dancing resonant filters... :) muchos apologeticos...

word

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:20 pm

Musashidan wrote:Jeez, I know this started as a delay based thread, but I have meandered to dancing resonant filters... :) muchos apologeticos...
Hey, at least it's back onto Moog stuff... :wink:

asd

Post by asd » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:40 am

man, i don't think having a tape delay and a 104 is redundant at all, but i really like delays and loops

baward

Post by baward » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:13 am

If you're after great tape echo machines, don't forget the Korg Stage Echo. There were two models, the SE-300 (with a spring reverb tank) and the SE-500, which had Sound On Sound and a really cool feature, the ability to modulate the tape speed using a control voltage! Change your delay time with your Voyager mod wheel, for instance (and a CP box of course.)

Because these don't have 'Roland' on the front of them, they often sell on eBay for around half the price of a Roland Space Echo - a lot of people say they are better too.