murf output replacement

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
moogie instructor

murf output replacement

Post by moogie instructor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:48 am

hello fellow moogers, some while ago i was noodling away with my moogerfoogers and suddenly a patch cable got stuck in the output of my mf105 grrr
now i want to repair this but cant find any info on what type of connector it is its a neutrik but it needs to be switching? could anybody please point me in the right direction moog on!
minimoog voyager oldschool 0674 ,vx351,mf101/102/103/104z,signature edition/105/cp251//ehx16seconddigitaldelay/boss sp202//dd3/dsd3/syb3/rc2plus 40 boss pedals/ehx superego/fabtone and a te op-1

moogie instructor

Re: murf output replacement

Post by moogie instructor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:29 am

ok it seemed i am the first one on this earth with this problem :) so i decided to buy a completely new mf108 jack board hope this works
minimoog voyager oldschool 0674 ,vx351,mf101/102/103/104z,signature edition/105/cp251//ehx16seconddigitaldelay/boss sp202//dd3/dsd3/syb3/rc2plus 40 boss pedals/ehx superego/fabtone and a te op-1

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:35 am

moogie instructor wrote:ok it seemed i am the first one on this earth with this problem :)
Well if you wait more than 1 1/2 hours, you might find some other people able to chime in... :)

The jacks are either TS or TRS jacks depending on their function. And they are all board mounted. The best way is to remove the offending jack and take it down to your local electronics store to get an exact replacement. Either that or find one online that looks and functions the same. Failing that you could always call Moog, they are extremely helpful in helping people do their own repairs (once the unit is past warrantee).

Stephen

moogie instructor

Post by moogie instructor » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:34 am

i tried that a year ago but never got a real answer. its a neutrik jack connector but some kind of obsolete one, i cant find it anywhere
so i ordered a replacement jack board from instrumental parts, but it seems they only got the murf midi edition :) hmm well at least i can use the right output :?

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:07 am

Or remove the piece stuck in the existing jack.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:45 am

I assume you've taken it apart already? If so I was curious to ask if the output jacks (bottom) are board mounted to the main circuit board, or is it a flying wire type board connected to the main board with a ribbon cable or MTA type?

I haven't opened up my MurF M but have seen many others and usually, Moog uses main board mounted jacks for the top row including power and then a mini assembly with 4 or 5 jacks on the bottom row; It should be easy to replace this as a part if you contact Moog directly or solder up your own using Radio Shack parts on .100 pitch spacing.

I guess calling Moog service should be the first step, they are very good.

(but interestingly, I had a cable get stuck in the multi jack on my Focusrite interface; I thought I was going to rip the socket from the board trying to pull the cable out; Never understood what the issue was, must be the tolerances between diameter, unless in your case the jack just fell apart while in the socket?)
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

moogie instructor

Post by moogie instructor » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:41 am

its a seperate jack board connected trough a computer type flatcable

i tried to solder another jack connector from neutrik but it wont work so i tried to order a replacement jack board. but it turns out they only got the midi version, so the next step is contacting moog again :D

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:23 am

That will be easy then.

There is a fair chance that Moog parts may not have that because it's been years since the non-"M" have been produced. But on the other hand, it's a simple passive board/cable, no power or driver circuits, just signal so easy enough to adjust pin-outs if you are handy.

Pulling the Neutrik jacks is a bitch, believe me, I know. But if you've successfully pulled yours and can't get anything to fit and Moog can't help you, I can mail you a jack that I have, pulled from my MF-101 (just PM me). I do think Moog will at least have the jack part.

Another option, if the jack-board is still in tact and the tip of the jack that got stuck pulled off (and is stuck in there, I'm still unclear on this), is to carefully drill a hole in the cheap plastic closed end of the Neutrik jack end, then push the piece out with a center punch or nail-countersink or the like. I wouldn't do this while installed into the fooger because plastic bits will get everywhere but if you pull the board to the side this should be doable. Of course strong emphasis on "carefully!".
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

moogie instructor

Post by moogie instructor » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:16 pm

the first thing i tried was, to try pull out the point of the jack that didnt work so i desolderd the sick jack and ordered a few of them . they all missed one copper? leg so i tried to pull one off another and macgyvered it into the chosen one. after soldering it worked briefly but it went wonky and no it wont let any audio out. my order got canceled . for now i will experiment with other jack connectors and i will call the moogservice station in belgium first maybe they can help me
next time i will try your tip thanks.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:31 am

Maybe you could harvest a socket off one of the controls that you don't use. Or jury-rig a panel mount replacement with flying leads to the PCB.