Can a CP-251 control a VCA input on my dynamics processor

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Hecate

Can a CP-251 control a VCA input on my dynamics processor

Post by Hecate » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi,

This is my first post as a forum member.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not a CP-251 could be used to control either the Gate or the Gain Reduction on my old dynamics processor (Valley People Dynamite). Here's an image of what the input looks like http://www.pixelproaudio.com/media/cata ... 0294-7.jpg

I was thinking of getting a CP-251 to get some modular control over my soon-to-arrive Phatties, it would be great if I could use it to control the dynamics processor as an added bonus. From what I understand the control input's original purpose was to use VCA-outs from old mixers to better preserve the signal, but perhaps the CP-251 could be used also?

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks! :D

cliffman

Re: Can a CP-251 control a VCA input on my dynamics processo

Post by cliffman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:14 pm

The CP-251 doesn't really do much on it's own, it's a mixer/attenuator/bunch of stuff for processing CV. You need something to generate the CV. If you have something creating CV, the CP-251 is excellent for adapting to different gear, as it allows you to scale and attenuate CV voltages. It can generate a voltage on it's own, but i suspect you'd want more for your application.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:57 am

If you haven't done so already, you might want to download and study the Moog manuals for the CP-251 and Phattys you are thinking about purchasing. Moog makes some very good manuals, and these should give you some ideas of the capabilities when it comes to linking various devices via CV.

Also, you might give a thought to joining the KnobTweaks forum for Moog gear -
the site hosts several references and patch recommendations for the various Moog components.

Remember with the Phatty's there are a LOT of things that can be done "under the hood" with MIDI CC control, so if you're not familiar with MIDI, that's one more area you might want to study up on.

Most importantly, have fun ~
The Moog combination of modern computer control, MIDI, and CV can make for many hours of knob & MIDI-tweaking experimentation! 8)

Randy
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

Hecate

Post by Hecate » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:04 am

cliffman wrote:The CP-251 doesn't really do much on it's own, it's a mixer/attenuator/bunch of stuff for processing CV. You need something to generate the CV. If you have something creating CV, the CP-251 is excellent for adapting to different gear, as it allows you to scale and attenuate CV voltages. It can generate a voltage on it's own, but i suspect you'd want more for your application.
Thanks for clearing that up! I had a hunch that was the case, you articulated it very well. I think Kenton in the UK makes these kinds of pieces of gear; I think for a single application such as this, it would be overkill.

Hecate

Post by Hecate » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:09 am

Stuka wrote: Remember with the Phatty's there are a LOT of things that can be done "under the hood" with MIDI CC control, so if you're not familiar with MIDI, that's one more area you might want to study up on.

Ah yes forgot about that. I wonder if they added the same CV to MIDI found in Minitaur Rev.2, that would be something.

Cheers Randy!