EHX 8 Step

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
stiiiiiiive

Re: EHX 8 Step

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:05 am

Jay944 wrote:stive, please let us know about your experience with the EHX 8-step ;)
So, as I was just saying on another topic...

myself wrote:Well, I cannot compare with others analogue sequencers since it is my first one. But what I can tell is I've been able to explore the basics for an hour so far, and I had great fun.

The Emwhite's GATE OUT mod is something I'll consider soon enough. For now, I can use the VX-351 LFO out to send the signaI simultaneously into the 8SP's CV input for sync purpose and in the Voyager's ENV TRIG input. That does the job brilliantly.

For LP users, you can MIDI sync the 8SP to the LP. And for CV out users, you can patch the GATE OUT into the 8SP CV in and sync this way. With this particular configuration, arpeggios are altered by the 8SP's sequence, leading to really crazy melodic lines.

I can't wait to bring it in a little improv session with my mates...

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:11 am

It took a week, door to door, in order for my unit to be updated.

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Hey, new here and also new to the moog world as well as this cv jazz. I currently have the 101, 102 and 105m and just purchased the ehx 8 step, tried messing around the other night hooking the 8 step up to every cv input... Appearently I did something wrong because it did not affect any bit of audio I sent thru my moogerfoogers.
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:53 pm

kn_s wrote:Hey, new here and also new to the moog world as well as this cv jazz. I currently have the 101, 102 and 105m and just purchased the ehx 8 step, tried messing around the other night hooking the 8 step up to every cv input... Appearently I did something wrong because it did not affect any bit of audio I sent thru my moogerfoogers.
They work great together. You need to start at page 1 of all the manuals. Seriously, you need to read how to use them. The 8 step has a lot of settings that you need to be aware of.

Each manual has examples of how to set up CV links. Use the EXP / CV out of the 8 step and connect it to the cutoff of the 101. Turn the volume down on your speakers, and turn resonance upto 10. This way you have a direct link from the 8 step to the frequency of the self oscillation. Turn the cutoff on the 101 all the way counter clockwise. Now mess with the 8 step until you hear changes. You will need the play button on the 8 step on (green triangle on). Be cautious of how long you allow one note to play, as long exposure to one note from the 101 will overheat your speakers.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks Alien8, I'll have to try that setup out. Admittedly I did skim over all the manuals but I'll read them more thoroughly. I know all about blowing up speakers with sustained loud deep tones from many a sound installation back in college.
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:45 am

What I really love about this pedal is that you can use it for CV presets, and for recalling multiple settings. For example, you could use it to set two speeds for tremolo effects on the ring mod, and even a ramp up / down speed. You could use it for two delay times, or 8 for that matter. Extremely useful tool for a busy hands player who needs to adapt using feet at busy times...
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:05 am

This is smart, thanks for sharing :)

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Finally was able to sit down and try that configuration out and 2 hours magically flew by. I am in love! Can't wait to get my minifooger delay in on some of this action.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:57 am

I am selling my modded 8 Step (with version 1 code within) simply because I'm distracted with other projects and it's just been sitting idle.

The original, v1 8-step has some unusual timing issues which may not occur for 10 minutes but then may pop up twice in a minute. It is NOT obvious until you use the Gate out due to the articulation you are able to attain by triggering an envelope generator for a sharp attack. It occurs with or with out the gate-out mod and others have found this issue.

But the timing problem does NOT occur when driven by a Midi clock, or, so I'm told from another analog voltage source such as an LFO out and in my opinion, Midi clock is the best way to use the 8-step due to the built in clock divider.

Some of the Midi bugs which have been identified are deep in the feature set and nothing that I ever ran into. The pedal has an amazing capability set and is very useful, even with the few issues that exist. One 'bug' is that the ping/pong capability goes from 1 to n and then back without staying on the end points, so in a four note sequence it may be 1,2,3,4,3,2,1,2,3... and that bugs some people. I believe that there may have been a change in the algorithm, but not sure. Worth a read if this is important and you are considering picking one up.

Some guitarists or MoogerFooger owners will only use it for a sample and hold type modulation effect set to run as a one-time run, or according to tap-tempo in which the timing is never perfect in any case.

All in all, it's worth the $127 or whatever the street price is these days.

With regard to turn-around time, I've been told it's 2-weeks depending on where you live.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!