Right order for Moogerfoogers

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Fantastca

Right order for Moogerfoogers

Post by Fantastca » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:43 am

Hi guys, :D

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best order to line up my foogers..

At the moment I only have MF-104M Delay and getting MF-108M Cluster Flux, MF-102 Ring Modulator and MF-103 12-Stage Phaser very soon too (and maybe MF-107 and 101).

I'm going to be using two synths at the moment, mopho x4 and Sub Phatty.

I'm guessing Cluster Flux goes at the end since it's kinda stereo (if I want to do some stereo effect).

Also do I really need MF-101 if I have Sub Phatty with it's external audio processing ability?

Thank you!
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Vsyevolod

Re: Right order for Moogerfoogers

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:52 am

Yes, you need at least one MF-101. The ClusterFlux is great at the end of the chain, but so is a MF-103 Phaser. Alternately two MF-102 Ring Mods give a nice stereo output.

Basically, you will want to keep switching up the order. There is no one right way. It may be that for every piece you'll want a different configuration.

Stephen

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:54 am

Vsyevolod wrote:Yes, you need at least one MF-101. The ClusterFlux is great at the end of the chain, but so is a MF-103 Phaser. Alternately two MF-102 Ring Mods give a nice stereo output.

Basically, you will want to keep switching up the order. There is no one right way. It may be that for every piece you'll want a different configuration.

Stephen
Thank you Stephen. I'll keep that in mind.
Moog Sub Phatty (firmware 2.1.12 beta, editor 1.1.0) | Ableton Live 9.7 | macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:29 pm

In general, my 103 is almost always placed ahead of my 101.

108 & 104 reside somewhere near the end. Usually the 104 ends up in the fx insert of the 108, and is either fed into the 103, or used as stereo output to my DAW.

103 is usually used in stereo, but not always, meaning its near the end usually where I go from mono to stereo.

101 is awesome all over, however it typically ends up before the others...

The 102... gets used everywhere too, but I usually use it as a tremolo somewhere between 101 & 103... but it always moves around.

As Stephen said, stay versatile, that's the point of these boxes, they each offer something that effects / affects the other :wink:
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Have a read of some of the guitar pedalboard guidelines as much of it applies. Typically, you want drive type effects at the lead end and time based effects at the end.

Maybe start with this: http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/be ... after-dirt

But the beauty of foogers is that a) wire/patch to your hearts content; not bound to a tight pedalboard and a bunch of custom, perfectly crafted cables and b) many of the foogers have drive and output levels so cable length/path not so important and the use of additional buffers are not necessary.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:41 pm

There really is no right or wrong order to put the foogers in. There is an efficient placement, which is based on your most frequent patches.

I think the Foogers were designed with the concept that they aren't simply to be statically placed or patched.

This confusion is really birthed in the fact that they are designed in stompbox format rather than as synthesizer modules.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Thank you guys for your input. It's very useful to me.

I recently decided to go fully analog, without any digital sound/synth/plugin etc. I simply fell in love with analog sound.

I've been a guitarist since my early teen years (I'm 30 now). And around 5 years ago I started to discover digital synths on my comp, plugins they were (I do now realise they are just toys for beginners), however I was facinated by them.
Then in 2012 I discovered such things as Analog Synthesiser and everything related to it, ever since I've been in love with everything analog and been devouring tons of information about it. I completely stopped playing guitars and I have been making music with my first analog synth I bought last year which was DSI Mopho x4 (I know! It should have been Moog first!) and my MF-104M.
And I am completely blown away with the possibilities to make sounds. And oh, nothing sounds as lush as an analog synth/effect module.
I saved some money now and I am buying my first Moog, which is going to be Sub Phatty and the rest of the Moogerfoogers.

Thanks for this great community of people who share this passion and share their knowledge with others!

metron

Post by metron » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:15 pm

I tend to put my 101 at the end in order to tame the often insane highs coming from everything else. Its good for altering timbre. I also tend to keep the signal as pure and simple as possible for the 102 since it can get a bit clangorous real fast. That one usually goes first. Flux in the middle.
MF102, MF104M, CP251, Minitaur

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Usually I'll put the MF-101 in around the middle and throw a pedal on the Filter Frequency. This acts like a volume pedal. My initial modules will the the Freq's, Ring's, or Murf's. My output modules will be either the ClusterFlux or Phasor's. Delay just before the outputs.

Stephen

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:00 am

MF-103 or MF-108 last for me, as they have stereo outputs.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

Fantastca

Post by Fantastca » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:52 am

Yes, it's cool that with 108 and 103 I can make a mono synth stereo.

But what about a stereo synth like mopho x4 for example, if I want to retain its original stereo output? Do I need two identical Foogers for each of its outputs? :?

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:22 am

Fantastca wrote:Yes, it's cool that with 108 and 103 I can make a mono synth stereo.

But what about a stereo synth like mopho x4 for example, if I want to retain its original stereo output? Do I need two identical Foogers for each of its outputs? :?
I just take the mono output from my stereo synths (Virus and Nord Lead) and run that through the MF-103 and MF-108.
Yes its not the same as you are loosing what the patch is doing. If there stereo output of my Virus or Nord is important, I record the patch dry in my DAW, run the left side from my DAW into a Fooger, record the wet effect, then record the right side, record the wet effect, then mix the dry and wet channels in my DAW.
Sounds like a pain to do, but its worth it (imo).
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:20 am

Fantastca wrote:...if I want to retain its original stereo output? Do I need two identical Foogers for each of its outputs? :?
Yes. Or do what Nectarios does and record L and R separately.

Stephen