Moogerfooger rack kit: Quick question.

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Stuka

Re: Moogerfooger rack kit: Quick question.

Post by Stuka » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Just Me wrote:You can see most of 'em in this video.

http://youtu.be/j5x1I-W-GWs
Dude... :o 8)
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:49 am

My humble rack.
Now to get rack ears for the Slim Phatty and slide it underneath the Virus C....or if I can find rack ears for the Nord I can put my SP where the Nord Lead 1 rack resides so I can quickly patch cables in and out from the back.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Not sure "humble" is accurate... :wink:

Nice set of racks!!! :)
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:49 am

Just Me wrote:The Foogers are adjunct to a 76 space modular system
Not that this thread is the appropriate forum for this question, but I would love to know more about your modular set up. Do you have a webpage or posts on Muff's that goes into more detail on your setup?

Stephen

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:
Just Me wrote:The Foogers are adjunct to a 76 space modular system
Not that this thread is the appropriate forum for this question, but I would love to know more about your modular set up. Do you have a webpage or posts on Muff's that goes into more detail on your setup?

Stephen

There are numerous threads in the 5U sub on muff's. Same handle there as here. Since it is ever evolving, nothing could be kept current. This started as 11 modules a few years back and has gone as large as 110MU at one point. I've got one more of the Amhearst cabinets that is getting populated right now as a busking box of unusual audio mangling. It will have built in amps and speakers, but look identical to the other three cabinets. The Wogglebug, Haible FS, DDVCO, some utilitys and 1 time suite will end up in that box.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Ophidean

Post by Ophidean » Tue May 14, 2013 5:41 pm

Can someone recommend a good 19" cabinet for 2 Moogerfooger Rack Mount Kits? What do most people use?
GEAR: Voyager select series Maple/Electric blue, CP-251, VX-351, Etherwave Theremin, MF101, MF104m (White), MMF108m.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Ophidean wrote:Can someone recommend a good 19" cabinet for 2 Moogerfooger Rack Mount Kits? What do most people use?
You can build your own using 6U rack rails and an Ikea RAST bedside table. That's what I did for my 19" rack needs, except I modified the RAST to accept 8U rails.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Ophidean

Post by Ophidean » Wed May 15, 2013 3:58 pm

Nice, thanks! IKEA right down the road from me.

How many racks can you fit in that space?
GEAR: Voyager select series Maple/Electric blue, CP-251, VX-351, Etherwave Theremin, MF101, MF104m (White), MMF108m.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed May 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Ophidean wrote:How many racks can you fit in that space?
Do a Google image search for Ikea Rast and you'll see many people with this same idea. Easy to see from those photos exactly what you can fit.

Stephen

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:04 pm

Ophidean wrote:Nice, thanks! IKEA right down the road from me.

How many racks can you fit in that space?
If you buy four 6U rails, you can mount the Foogers front and back with no issue. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:03 am

i see that there are many good options for rack mounting my moogerfoogers in a studio setting, but does anyone have a suggestion for a portable "road worthy" case for the rack mount kit?? i know many years back(like 13) i saw rob mazurek of chicago underground/ isotope 217 fame play a show in philly with his foogers in front of him, granted i was not paying that close attention and could not afford a moogerfooger at that point in my life...but i do remember him have a few of them mounted and sitting on a stand at waist/chest height. anywho, is there some type of maybe dj case that would work?? i really dont want to put velcro my babies on a pedalboard.
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:24 am

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Odyssey-ATA ... 3625723081 Something like this could work, if you have 1-3 Foogers. Something like http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... MgodDHkAKw would work for larger Fooger rigs.

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:49 pm

hey Voltor07 thanks for your recommendations!

haven't gotten that far yet but i did pick up the rack mount kit and finally got around to mounting my 101,102 and 105m tonight. i noticed a few things anyone care to chime in if this is normal?? first, moog includes 12 of the little black screws and nuts for filling in the holes after you remove the side wood panels of which you only need 8 so that's 4 bonus screws and nuts correct??? then there are 4 "10-32 oval head screws with finish washers" what are these for? when its mounted to the rack? my other question is... ok i cheated and didn't take the center fooger's wood panels off like the directions state, but instead took one of each adjoining foogers panels off. from left to right i have the 102, 105m (in white), then 101. the 101 &102 are standard black with wood and for now i just thought it might look nice with all white in the center?? i can change this no big deal but my concern/ disappointment is that there is about an 1/8" gap between the metal housing of the side foogers and the wood sides of the center fooger. would this be closed if i had just followed instructions or is this just normal? also it doesnt clearly state in the instructions to remove all 3 fooger bottom plates, which i did do, but do you leave them wedged in there other than the center position which seems to be clearly indicated in the intructions. i think i have too many questions and need to get out more.
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:32 am

kn_s wrote:hey Voltor07 thanks for your recommendations!

haven't gotten that far yet but i did pick up the rack mount kit and finally got around to mounting my 101,102 and 105m tonight. i noticed a few things anyone care to chime in if this is normal?? first, moog includes 12 of the little black screws and nuts for filling in the holes after you remove the side wood panels of which you only need 8 so that's 4 bonus screws and nuts correct???
Eeyup, so it would seem...
then there are 4 "10-32 oval head screws with finish washers" what are these for? when its mounted to the rack?
Eeyup.
my other question is... ok i cheated and didn't take the center fooger's wood panels off like the directions state, but instead took one of each adjoining foogers panels off. from left to right i have the 102, 105m (in white), then 101. the 101 &102 are standard black with wood and for now i just thought it might look nice with all white in the center?? i can change this no big deal but my concern/ disappointment is that there is about an 1/8" gap between the metal housing of the side foogers and the wood sides of the center fooger. would this be closed if i had just followed instructions or is this just normal?
Sadly, that is normal. Some folks have made custom wood gap closers to alleviate this problem.
also it doesnt clearly state in the instructions to remove all 3 fooger bottom plates, which i did do, but do you leave them wedged in there other than the center position which seems to be clearly indicated in the intructions. i think i have too many questions and need to get out more.
No idea on that one. Maybe someone else can help? I don't actually rack any of my Foogers, but I have a basic understanding of how the rack kit works.

Colonel Monk

Post by Colonel Monk » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:19 pm

I don't have a picture handy of the "rack" I built for my 6 foogers and CP using the MOOG rack brackets, but it's quite simple.

Two Vertical 1x4 Pine, with four 1 x 2 pine horizontal braces. One on bottom, two on the back, one on top. I spaced the racks as I wanted to have room for patching, and then I drilled pilot holes in the wood for #10 Pan Head sheetmetal screws.

I think using regular racks for Moogers in the long run is going to annoy you to no end. They are simply too heavy to lug around. They make sense for a mixing board, or a tube amp, but not so much here....

I know that Moog equipment is expensive, but seriously, you'd really have to blow it and drop down a flight or two of stairs to hurt them, so long as the knobs are protected.

A soft case that would fit my Rack would be awesome, but I get by with a Uhaul shipping blanket wrapped over the knobs and then I fix it in place with a few lengths of rope - when I need to move it....

I had planned to have a case made for the foogertron by Cabbage Cases in Ohio - I got a quote one time, I think it was $130 or so for the "LiteFlight" case, with some foam inside. These are the light ABS cases that usually have a top that fits over the bottom and a couple of straps with nylon fastex buckles.

I might still do that, but being a bass player with heavy cabs and ridiculous tube amps, the last thing I'm going to lug around and store is another anvil case.

Anyway, my rack started out with me using some scrap lumber in my shed, to still being my rack 10 years later. I have hung it on the wall next to my spot in rehearsal room, and I had leaned it against a wall from the top of my speaker cabs, or other anvil cases...

I'd consider doing something a little different if I only used them in my home studio, but at this point I still like to be able to take them with me.

I'd be interested in any other methods of transport you all use though.... If Gator or someone made a bag that fit my wood rack I'd be in heaven.

Monk
Colonel Monk

Slim Phatty, Foogertron 7000: Low Pass, Ring Mod, Phaser, 104z Delay, ClusterFlux, Bass MuRF, FreqBox, CP-251
2X Mother 32, Minitaur