Midi controller advice for Moog MF-104M

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
facon

Midi controller advice for Moog MF-104M

Post by facon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:04 pm

Hey guys, I'm very new to using midi to control effects. I'm wondering if I can use midi to create presets for the Moog delay. Instead of just being able to use midi as a way to control parameters real time, it would be much more useful for me to has a preset list with parameters that I've already specified. If so, am I pretty much looking at whatever foot controller I'd like within my budget and size constraints? Or is there something I should be looking for that the controller needs to be capable of? Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Stuka

Re: Midi controller advice for Moog MF-104M

Post by Stuka » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 am

If you have an iPad, you might think about getting this app:

http://mididesigner.com/

VERY reasonable price compared to some other similar apps, lets you build just about any custom MIDI control you can think of, AND you can link it to a MIDI foot pedal or just about any other MIDI controller.

Works great!

I plan to use it to build custom controllers for each of my MoogerFoogers and Minitaur... :)

For planning purposes with the MF-104M, I would think the parameters you'll most likely want to change "on the fly" would be MIDI time sync and the ability to sweep the delay ~ very cool effect!
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

facon

Post by facon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:59 am

Great. I do have an iPad and was considering getting an iO Dock or something similar. I was looking at Touch OSC, but Midi Designer looks pretty cool too. I guess I figured, if I'm buying a midi foot controller to control the iPad, why not just skip the iPad and use the midi foot controller?

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:58 am

Also, max for live (comes as a part of ableton live 9) has a patch that a user made for controlling MF 104m. You can use it to store presets. Of course, If you don't want live for other reasons, this is not a very helpful thing to know :?
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:39 pm

facon wrote:I'm wondering if I can use midi to create presets for the Moog delay.
Yes, you can.
facon wrote:Instead of just being able to use midi as a way to control parameters real time, it would be much more useful for me to has a preset list with parameters that I've already specified.
That makes sense...
facon wrote:If so, am I pretty much looking at whatever foot controller I'd like within my budget and size constraints?
If you know you want a food controller and have a size & budget in mind, Google can be you friend. There's lots of different types and sizes out there.
facon wrote:Or is there something I should be looking for that the controller needs to be capable of? Thanks ahead of time for your help.
Well, you need to consider your size and budget, but you may have to sacrifice size or budget or both in order to achieve what you really want to do. The Moog delay responds to MIDI CC messages meaning that the foot controller you choose needs to be able to have CC values programmed into a preset. This is where it gets tricky, and expensive. Depending how many CC's you want to preset, the price varies it seems. You should probably also look for something that YOU know how to use - ie READ the manual and understand it before you buy it. If you can use the pedal to create a preset that sends the midi CC values you choose for that specific preset, then you have what you need.

I don't have a foot controller, but here is what Google found for me:

http://www.peak2005.com/j/midi-foot-con ... ver20.html

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcontrolpro.htm

http://www.rjmmusic.com/mastermind.php

Good Luck on your search, and let us know how your implementation goes!
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:09 am

Alien8 wrote:If you know you want a food controller and have a size & budget in mind, Google can be you friend. There's lots of different types and sizes out there.

:wink:

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:52 am

LMFAO. Love the Twinkie. Totally leaving that mistake there now!

Imagine where we'd be without mistakes.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

facon

Post by facon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:51 am

LOL! I'd like to find the right food controller as well.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:26 pm

We'd be freaking bored, right?? :)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:57 pm

facon wrote:LOL! I'd like to find the right food controller as well.
Star Trek replicator, maybe? That's a pretty good food controller. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

ZYKLIFF

Post by ZYKLIFF » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:17 am

I have a Rocktron All Access Midi Foot Controller (no Food Controller :lol: ) Blue Touring Model for sale on Amazon right now, but for a fellow Moog user I could lower the price. What are You looking at spending? I pack very safely.

Here's the manual link. http://www.rocktron.com/support/manuals.php

facon

Post by facon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:14 am

ZYKLIFF wrote:I have a Rocktron All Access Midi Foot Controller (no Food Controller :lol: ) Blue Touring Model for sale on Amazon right now, but for a fellow Moog user I could lower the price. What are You looking at spending? I pack very safely.

Here's the manual link. http://www.rocktron.com/support/manuals.php
Thanks, but I think I'm going to go with something a bit different. More interested in one that has loops for non midi pedals and is a not quite as deep. I've been eye balling the Providence PEC-2.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:30 am

I was about to suggest the Roland FC-300, a very fine controller, built like a tank, but it is costly and it is huge.

Now the Providence PEC-2 is a very interesting device. How much does it cost? I can use that.

facon

Post by facon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:39 am

Portamental wrote:I was about to suggest the Roland FC-300, a very fine controller, built like a tank, but it is costly and it is huge.

Now the Providence PEC-2 is a very interesting device. How much does it cost? I can use that.
Very costly! About twice as much as the Roland I believe. I think it retails for $950, but I'm not 100% sure. Kind of a wild purchase unless you're really looking for all the same features in the same form factor.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 pm

$950 (ballpark) Ouch!!! I suddenly feel my need diminishing! :roll: