Mooger Fooger PSU Buzzing Sound Question

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
fuzulu

Mooger Fooger PSU Buzzing Sound Question

Post by fuzulu » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Hey Guys :)

I'm very thrilled to get my MF104M today and I'm having a ball out here :D

I noticed that after having the psu plugged in for a while , it starts making a soft buzzing sound , is this normal ? should I be concerned ?

The power supply I'm using is the 230V one which I got with the unit from Moog .

Thanks very much in advance !

:roll:

Gladmarr

Re: Mooger Fooger PSU Buzzing Sound Question

Post by Gladmarr » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:55 pm

Is the power supply buzzing in your signal path or just buzzing audibly all by itself?

fuzulu

Post by fuzulu » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:23 pm

the power supply has a soft buzzing sound itself , no buzzing sound or any other problem in the signal path

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:53 pm

That could just be a loose plastic housing or loose bobbin in the transformer. If it isn't getting hot or anything else weird, it is most likely just going to be a minor nuisance.

fuzulu

Post by fuzulu » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:11 am

great !! thank u very much for your reply :)

heavy pic/animation that is by the way :D

atsushi_hoshiai

Post by atsushi_hoshiai » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:09 am

Hey there,
My first post here =]
Got my MF104M today and the PSU shows the same behavior.. This comes from the transformer inside which might be from poor quality.. But good point is that Moog use traditional PSUs with transformers and linear regulators instead of the cheap switching supplies..
From electrical point of view this buzz has no negative effect...

fuzulu

Post by fuzulu » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:11 am

thanks good to know & welcome to the forum :)

synthaxe

Post by synthaxe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:55 pm

fuzulu wrote:Hey Guys :)

I'm very thrilled to get my MF104M today and I'm having a ball out here :D

I noticed that after having the psu plugged in for a while , it starts making a soft buzzing sound , is this normal ? should I be concerned ?

The power supply I'm using is the 230V one which I got with the unit from Moog .

Thanks very much in advance !

:roll:
I've had this problem only once before, with a Dunlop 18v power supply. The supply itself used to buzz. I believe it was due to poor quality. That being said, I haven't had any issues with any my Moog power supplies whatsoever. However, all the power supplies I've received from Moog for all my Moogerfoogers are 9 volts @ 300mA. Give them a call.
Last edited by synthaxe on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, MF-105, MF-103, MF-102, MF-101, Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, EVH 5150III 50 Watt, EVM12L Speakers, ESP Eclipse-II FR, USA Charvel So-Cal, Squier Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster, Alesis MidiVerb 4, and tons of Electro Harmonix.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:25 pm

synthaxe wrote:However, all the power supplies I've received from Moog for all my Moogerfoogers are 300v. Give them a call.
I'm sure you mean 120V. The European supplies, actually all supplies made for countries except the Philippines and America, and possibly Canada, use 230-240V. All my supplies are 120V, 300mA. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

synthaxe

Post by synthaxe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
synthaxe wrote:However, all the power supplies I've received from Moog for all my Moogerfoogers are 300v. Give them a call.
I'm sure you mean 120V. The European supplies, actually all supplies made for countries except the Philippines and America, and possibly Canada, use 230-240V. All my supplies are 120V, 300mA. :wink:
Right you are. Thanks for the correction. What I meant was 300mA, not volts....basically just trying to relay to him that I've had a power supply that used to buzz by itself.
Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, MF-105, MF-103, MF-102, MF-101, Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, EVH 5150III 50 Watt, EVM12L Speakers, ESP Eclipse-II FR, USA Charvel So-Cal, Squier Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster, Alesis MidiVerb 4, and tons of Electro Harmonix.

fuzulu

Post by fuzulu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:39 am

hey guys thanks for the info , I'm using the standard buzzy psu of the mf104 with it and there is no problem with it except that it is pretty annoying and its the only thing that makes noise in my studio . I also got a freqbox now which came with a us power supply so I had to either get a step down or a new psu , new psu was a better and cheaper option . On the freqbox psu it was written 120V , 400ma but I found a replacement psu which is 230V , 500ma , according to this info I found on moog music 500ma is okay :

http://legacy.moogmusic.com/faq/?content_id=17&cat_id=3&

at first I was a bit confused cause the freqbox manual says the power supply should be 300ma and the psu said 400ma , but that is sorted now with the new psu of 500ma

and my mf104 psu which came with it also says 400ma and in the manual it says u should use a psu rated for at least 400ma

so I think in the case of moogerfoogers you can go upto 500ma and you must not under power them either

Evers

Post by Evers » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi! I got my 101 Filter last week and i love it! But the 9dc Power cord feels a bit lose and "wobbly" is this normal or is this just my unit? I thought i post my question here since you already discussed the Power adapters.

Thanks!

atsushi_hoshiai

Post by atsushi_hoshiai » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Evers wrote:Hi! I got my 101 Filter last week and i love it! But the 9dc Power cord feels a bit lose and "wobbly" is this normal or is this just my unit? I thought i post my question here since you already discussed the Power adapters.

Thanks!
Seems normal. I think they use different power sockets for different batches of the foogers. On my 104M the power connector fits very tight, on my 101 it is more lose, but the connector can get completely into the socket, whereas on the 104M still a bit of the metal shielding of the connector is visible after plugging in. The PSU is the same for both units. For me definetly a sign that different types of power sockets are used in both machines...
So don't worry, looks normal...