Best Moogerfoogers for the Theremin?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Headphones

Best Moogerfoogers for the Theremin?

Post by Headphones » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm thinking of maybe getting a Moog theremin, but I'm here to ask everybody's opinion on which are the best MFs to link to the unit. I'd like to keep it fairly simple down to 1 or 2, but if you swear by adding 3-5, then I'd be willing to consider that as well. I'd probably start with the MF104M regardless, but I'm sure you can do interesting things with any of them when you add the CV to the theremin.

stiiiiiiive

Re: Best Moogerfoogers for the Theremin?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:19 am

Yes, the 104M is the first coming to my mind. Or if you don't want to put so much of your Moogerfooger money in a delay, get another good one -EHX, MXR,...- so that you can put the bucks in something more special.

To me the only two other relevant candidate here are the Ring Mod and the FreqBox. But maybe I'm just not creative enough ;)

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:11 am

I use the ring mod and it is one of the only uses for the freq box that I use. I use a digital delay instead of wasting the 104 on it. The 104 colors the sound too much to my ears, anyway.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Headphones

Post by Headphones » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:23 am

Thanx for the replies, I think I probably can't go wrong with the theremin, MF104M & MF102, but I might decide on grabbing the MF 108M as the 2nd fooger, since it is limited edition afterall. What about a CP-251 added to the chaos? Can you get really strange modulated delay/chorus/flang times when you're waving your arms around the theramin? Or is it just the sound that gets processed with what the CP-251's CV directing the voltage traffic?? (I think I'm making sense what I'm trying to say, or not?)

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:23 am

I'd have to go with the delay also. My second choice would be a filter.

In my experience it's so difficult to play that I don't have time to think about effects. Having a delay gives you a little room for error. Depending on what you would want to do though, any of the foogers will sound good. Are you planning to get the CV outs? That will increase what you are able to do with them, and give you a headphone output with the option of hearing your note before you lift your hand off of the volume antenna for better tuning.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:55 am

EricK wrote:My second choice would be a filter.
I would have though this was useless provided the Theremin "wave form". Can you explain more, Eric?

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:58 pm

One can already adjust the harmonics of the Theremin on the panel, but when I recommended using the 101, I guess I assumed there was a cv output mod to articulate a resonant filter.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:47 am

i have the Etherwave Plus - and really appreciate the CV outs - ditto a CP-251 and Expression Pedals are must-have items to make full use of your moogerfoogers...

Fattening up the Theremin sound is probably the best application I have found for the Freq Box~ but if your theremin has the CV outs the Minitaur and Slim Phatty (and of course a Voyager) are BRILLIANT! - I agree with all the above posters about the RingMod, Delay 104z, the ClusterFlux, Phaser etc-- but honestly ANY moogerfooger, module or synth is going to be of great use to you... In fact, I think I'll try rigging it up to a MIDI Murf next ~ just because i don't think I have tried that yet... and for the sake of variety.
After holding off for so long I finally bought the Low-Pass 101, just after getting back from Moogfest - it's the last of the complete set of MFs for me and even the lowly 101 is beyond amazing when attached to the Etherwave. I reasoned that I didn't 'need' a 101 since that same filter is available to me in all the other Moog synths via 'external audio in' but now that I finally picked one up I have found endless uses for it

plenty example tracks here --> http://soundcloud.com/misterpete

Have Fun! :D
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:15 am

I second Mister Pete's sentiment about the CV outs. Tons of fun to be had when using these with other gear. . .

I recently gave a performance here in austin where the theremin was used solely as a CV controller, modulating parameters of of few moogerfoogers through which I played a composition I wrote for electric guitar. The audience was invited to step forward and "play" the theremin, which was placed out in front of the stage, so that they could "orchestrate" the performance, in a way. The CV from the theremin was routed through a mult and a couple of attenuators so that everything sounded cool and made for some fun interactive music. . .
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31