foogers drive

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
scimmiamk

foogers drive

Post by scimmiamk » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:07 am

Hi, I've only had the mf 102 and mf 105m. But the drive on the two pedals sound very different to my ears, the ring modulator's drive being more just like a gain, while the midimurf's drive goes a lot more into distortion territory. Can anyone confirm this? If you've experienced the 105m, can you compare it to any of the newer pedals (108m, 104m) drive?
I hope I didn't mess up with my English.
Thanks in advance

ricknboogie

Re: foogers drive

Post by ricknboogie » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:15 pm

I don't have a technical answer for you, but I would guess that, as each Fooger mentioned is a completely different circuit design, they would not behave exactly the same. Iow, it's apples to oranges.

scimmiamk

Post by scimmiamk » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:04 am

Yes, I understand what you mean.
My "problem" is that I'm using a lot the drive on the 105m, but not very much the pattern side for which the pedal is primarly built. So I was thinking about gettin rid of it and take another fooger instead (I was thinking about the cluster or the phaser). My problem is that the 105m drive is a huge part of my sounds and I don't want to loose it. That's why I was asking if any of you have compared the 105m drive with other pedal's
Thanks anyway

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:37 am

I don't think you are necessarily going to lose the sound of the drive. I have all the Foogers but the midified ones (and had a murf) and the effects are somewhat similar to eachother.

It might be that it DOES affect your sound though, because the driven sound is directly related to the effect. Id have to open by cabinet and plug everything together to verify this, but if the drive affects only the unbypassed signal, then your sound is half the static eq and half the overdriven signal (if I understand your setup correctly).

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:35 am

I recall the MuRF having a distinct drive compared to the other foogers - and I could see why you would use it. I'm not sure if any of the other foogers sound the same, as I'm pretty sure it is this way to achieve a very pronounced tone from the filter banks - a darker overdrive tone wouldn't stand out as much as the MuRF bright fuzz / distortion does.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:04 am

I often use the MF-102 and MF-108 or overdrive. Completely different, yet very usable (even more so the MF-108), drive.

I get a wide spectrum of synth overdrive/distortion between my MF-102, MF-108, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff Bass and off course the brilliant Slim Phatty overdrive I get from the VCF.

Peace out.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

scimmiamk

Post by scimmiamk » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:26 am

Thanks guys.
I can't say that I've decided to part or not from my midimurf and take a 108m, which I think I would use it more than just the drive.
I'll have to put my hands on one, but here in my place is not an easy task

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:39 am

The 105M & 108M are two totally different beasts. That's a tough choice, I heavily use both, and can only recommend that you have BOTH!

That said its a personal preference - the Murf does soooooo much - panning, tremolo, phaser-ish tones, EQ, sequencing etc. The Cluster Flux does lots too, just different - short delay / reverb, chorus, flange, wacky feedback fun, tone shaping. What sound do you want to have?

The Murf can be more non standard sounding quickly, while the CF has many standard / classic sounds built in due to its effect type.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

scimmiamk

Post by scimmiamk » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:11 am

I guess I'd need more classic sounds, but I'll keep exploring my 105m until I know better