CP-251 and the Fourway of Multiout.

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Moog dude

CP-251 and the Fourway of Multiout.

Post by Moog dude » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:59 am

Hi Moogers...

I've recently bought a cp251 and have just been using it to send out LFO signals and also play a little with the attenuators and the lag processor... Can anyone give me some examples of how to use the 4way Multi Out?

Can I use modulation sources from say the FreqBox or RingMod? Or is it just from the cp251?

Thanks folks!

stiiiiiiive

Re: CP-251 and the Fourway of Multiout.

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:07 am

The fourway multi will allow you to send a CV source to three destinations. As you've noticed, there is a ring on one of the four jacks. This one is the one powering say an expression pedal and thus is the best suited as an input. The other three are thus outputs replicating the signal you apply to the input.

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:05 am

The mults are great I love them!

As Stiiiiiive said, you can send the same something to three destinations at once, never feed more than one output into the mult at the same time or "POP" :(

I love sending the sample and hold to multiple destinations on my foogers and voyager 8)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:24 am

BHC303 wrote:never feed more than one output into the mult at the same time or "POP" :(
True, this is a bold advice from the manual: Multis must not be used as mixers. For mixer pupose, use... the mixer.
BHC303 wrote:I love sending the sample and hold to multiple destinations on my foogers and voyager 8)
Aah man, I don't have my couple of foogers right here but what I've got is the fingers wanting to tweak them right now!!!

Moog dude

Post by Moog dude » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:57 am

Oh I see! Cool! I'll try it out tonight on some of my foogers :D

One more question; How about the Mixer section? Looks like ther is 4 inputs (1&3 with white ring) and 2 outputs (+ & -)?? So does that mean I can send both LFO signals to the mixer and blend them into one output?
Or a square wave LFO plus sample & hold?

Hmmm... I'll just try it out I guess...

@BHC303... When u say don't feed more than one output to the multi then pop! Does that mean don't send signals from the mixer section into the 4way's input? I'm not too clear on that...

Thanks again :D

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:16 am

The best piece of advice we can give is to read the manual over. It's full of example so have your fooger in front of you when doing so and you will see things clearly after that :)

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:32 am

Moog dude wrote:.

@BHC303... When u say don't feed more than one output to the multi then pop! Does that mean don't send signals from the mixer section into the 4way's input? I'm not too clear on that...

Thanks again :D
Pretty sure you can send one mixer out into the mult (one row) but not two outputs (both) into the same row, you can send the second out of the mixer to a "new" set of mults if you like.

Never send an out to an out either, or in to and in for that mater...

It can be a bit scarey at first, well I found it a little... just double check your work flow and have fun!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:20 am

The easiest way I can explain it is:

Use the 4-Way as a Splitter (1 In, Split -> 3 Outs)
and never as a Merger (3 or 2 Ins, Merged -> 1 Out)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:59 am

Exactly, one of the mixer outs counts as one output that is a mixed signal from the various outputs you choose to combine, so you can put this one output in the first, ringed input jack of a mult row.

Now, what's totally confusing to me is this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vakOok4c ... r_embedded

I've watched it several times, and it looks like the folks at Moog are breaking the rules here. . . as they say in the video description " . . .An EP-2 was then patched into Mixer input 3 with its output sent from the positive Mixer output directly into the last jack on the Four Way Multiple to control the Pitch of Minitaur" You can see in the video that they are using the 4 way mult to mix the LFO and the expression pedal. Weird, huh? Anybody have an explanation for this?

Sorry to add a layer of confusion to the conversation. I'd say, DON'T do what they do in this video! At the same time, I'd like to know if there is an exception to the rule here?

tom
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:59 am

tommyecho wrote:Exactly, one of the mixer outs counts as one output that is a mixed signal from the various outputs you choose to combine, so you can put this one output in the first, ringed input jack of a mult row.

Now, what's totally confusing to me is this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vakOok4c ... r_embedded

I've watched it several times, and it looks like the folks at Moog are breaking the rules here. . . as they say in the video description " . . .An EP-2 was then patched into Mixer input 3 with its output sent from the positive Mixer output directly into the last jack on the Four Way Multiple to control the Pitch of Minitaur" You can see in the video that they are using the 4 way mult to mix the LFO and the expression pedal. Weird, huh? Anybody have an explanation for this?

Sorry to add a layer of confusion to the conversation. I'd say, DON'T do what they do in this video! At the same time, I'd like to know if there is an exception to the rule here?

tom
Umm, dude? The EP-2 is a passive CV device. Plugging the EP-2 into a mult with an LFO in the chain will just control the LFO in the chain.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:38 am

Moog dude wrote:Oh I see! Cool! I'll try it out tonight on some of my foogers :D

One more question; How about the Mixer section? Looks like ther is 4 inputs (1&3 with white ring) and 2 outputs (+ & -)?? So does that mean I can send both LFO signals to the mixer and blend them into one output?
Or a square wave LFO plus sample & hold?

Complex waveforms are fun!

Try combining a triangle and the S&H and hear how the random voltages take on the characteristics of the triangle, almost sounding as if they are quantized.

Here's a video of me combining 3 LFO's to one destination:
https://vimeo.com/3881186

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:59 am

Voltor07 wrote:
tommyecho wrote:Exactly, one of the mixer outs counts as one output that is a mixed signal from the various outputs you choose to combine, so you can put this one output in the first, ringed input jack of a mult row.

tom

Umm, dude? The EP-2 is a passive CV device. Plugging the EP-2 into a mult with an LFO in the chain will just control the LFO in the chain.
I think you've discovered a weak link in my control voltage knowledge. . . care to share a bit more info about that? :?:
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:12 pm

tommyecho wrote: I think you've discovered a weak link in my control voltage knowledge. . . care to share a bit more info about that? :?:
Gladly! :) The EP-2 works on the basis of resistance. In other words, you feed it 5V, and the 50k linear potentiometer inside turns that 5V into 2.5, 1, even 0 volts. Only the white ringed jacks on the CP-251 provide 5V on which the EP-2 or other passive device (ribbon controller, for example) can work with.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.