How do you use the Freqbox?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
deedussin

How do you use the Freqbox?

Post by deedussin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:26 am

The Freqbox has been sitting in my rack for some time now and I have not really found a use for it yet.
I'm curious how other people use it. I'm thinking about selling it to make room for the MF-104m.
BTW. I have a cluster flux and ring mod and use those frequently.

shortsleeves

Re: How do you use the Freqbox?

Post by shortsleeves » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:14 pm

I use it mostly as an oscillator, but also as a sophisticated dirtbox for the guitar. Also, I like to set it to sync, and insert CP-251'a S&H in the Freq IN while playing the guitar.

Cheers,
Lukasz
My SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/shortsleeves. Enjoy, and leave a comment!

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:07 pm

The slope of the panel makes it a good wheel chock. I seem to only use mine as an osc for doing noise music with the pedal board.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

vasago

Post by vasago » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:16 am

I think i tend to get a lot of use out of mine, and for various different things.

My favorite so far is to use it as a sound source with an analog sequencer, and run it through the LPF and MurF for awesome sounds/textures, instead of just abrassive grit. Some insane glitchy beats to be had here! Add some LFO manipulating the ENV AMT and FREQ=some gritty heavy waves.

Use it with multiple different 808 sounds. Long decay bass drum with some freQbox is sweet, same with the HiHat. I also LOVE Running the Clap through the FreQbox and then through the mf104z. This example makes me want a vermona so I can lengthen the sustain on the clap at different intervals for sweetness.

OCS OUT> XS/other foogers. Kind of obvious at this point, but meh whatever.

It is def worth keeping. I find it insanely hard to part with foogers, even if I have more than one of a single one.
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:13 am

@ vasago...
My favorite so far is to use it as a sound source with an analog sequencer, and run it through the LPF and MurF for awesome sounds/textures, instead of just abrassive grit. Some insane glitchy beats to be had here! Add some LFO manipulating the ENV AMT and FREQ=some gritty heavy waves.
That sounds sick... I want!

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:28 am

I use mine as a door stop currently.

Great thread, maybe I will somehow figure out how to incorporate it into what I do... I just tend to leave it out for now. I do like what it does, just not the tone.

One thing I really want to try to do with it is find some really powerful low notes via bass, and octave down via ring mod to see if there is a useable pitch that can be filtered to be more musical.

I haven't had the AHA! Moment with it yet.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:52 pm

I've been playing with mine a couple hours only since I got it. For now, I had slow-motion-body-banging-syndrome when having the OSC OUT plugged into the Phatty -gate permanently opened- and the Phatty audio out back to the 107. I added an expression pedal to the equation, to control the Phatty cut off.

Feedback.

Unpredictable.

Pedaling.

FMing.

Noises of machines making love :)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Alien8 wrote:Maybe I will somehow figure out how to incorporate it into what I do...
I do like what it does, just not the tone.
For me, the trick has always been to make the MF-107 FreqBox the
first in my chain of Moogerfoogers.

By going FreqBox, LowPass, Ring Mod, Phaser, and then into various
orderings of the MuRF, ClusterFlux, and the MF-104M Analog Delay,
I can get lots of usable sounds out of the FreqBox. Having the LowPass
right after it is the key. Ring Mod after the LowPass lets me create
new higher-frequency spectrums from it.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

vasago

Post by vasago » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:29 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:. Having the LowPass right after it is the key
Ding*
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:53 am

Yeah... the guy who sold me the 107 was selling a 101 too. I get better now why a Fooger comes with another... and another... and...

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:46 am

I had one (bought new) for a couple of weeks.
It was too noisy, it did not do linear FM nearly as good as the Doepfer VCOs, and in my opinion a unit like this should definitely come with MIDI instead of only CV and it should track better. Not nearly good enough to justify its price, imo. Good as a mad noise guitar pedal, not good as a precision VCO for studio/synth use with synthesisers.

I ended up trading it for an MF-102 Ring Mod and was really happy I did so.

Peace out.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:08 am

Does anyone else get a high pitched tone/squeal in the background when the Output Level is past about 12 o'clock?
It's fairly constant and is not affected by adjusting any other settings....

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:17 pm

Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:23 pm

love it! What kind of sequencer is that? Thanks for sharing!
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Dotcom Q-119 sequencer
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."