CV for Me

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Roy

CV for Me

Post by Roy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:53 am

Hi there,

Is anyone else a little concerned about the move to midi with the foogers? The reason I love them is the CV, no-one else offers CV control pedals. If the non-midi versions are cheaper (like the MuRF), then those who want it can buy a quality CV converter to synch up, or was this the purpose behin the MP-201?

Anyway, I'm midi shy, have no idea how to use it. If I plug in a midi lead to something and it doesn't do anything that's the end of it. I love thinking my way around how to do stuff with CV and the CP251, it would be a shame if the CV interconnectivity continued the way it seems to be going on the foogers. Who else would have preferred a Cluster Flux with a CV out LFO instead of midi, even without tap tempo - am I on my own here?

Not wanting to start a flame war, just love my foogers for what they are/were, and may be not any more.

Cheers,

Roy

analoghaze

Re: CV for Me

Post by analoghaze » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:49 am

I am totally with you.
I own a few foogers, but none with MIDI.
The flux never interested me, but I own two Paradox TZF's.
I would rather take an LFO out over MIDI control.
In my humble opinion, the most exiting thing Moog has done lately in the Animoog app. If they want digital, go all the way and continue with the apps.
The table top little Taurus looked ok for about a second, until the USB editing talk started. In the long run, the Macbeth unit will blow it away.
What will happen a few years from now when USB in no longer a standard.
Make analog machines.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:20 am

Roy wrote:Who else would have preferred a Cluster Flux with a CV out LFO instead of midi, even without tap tempo - am I on my own here?

Roy
I would not have bought the Cluster Flux if it did not support MIDI control, simply because I would not be able to sync it to sequencer tempo and would not be able to automate the MF-108's parameter via the sequencer and be able to record my mono sources through it for true stereo parts.
Yes the Cluster Flux has a stereo output but its the wet signal, phase inverted....nice for when you want the sound to come from far wider than the monitor position, but not good for when your tunes get played on internet radio stations that "mono-fy" the signal to save bandwidth...not your fault I hear you say, but I prefer having wide stereo mixes that are mono compatible.

The only reason I am refraining from buying the MF-103 is because it does not have MIDI, I would be all over it other wise.

*edit* In this day and age of digital sequencing, all MoogerFoogers should support MIDI as well as CV, they are far more than just guitar pedals and by not including these features, I think Moog is restricting their market, imo always.

Peace out.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

Roy

Post by Roy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:29 am

Yes the Cluster Flux has a stereo output but its the wet signal, phase inverted....nice for when you want the sound to come from far wider than the monitor position, but not good for when your tunes get played on internet radio stations that "mono-fy" the signal to save bandwidth...not your fault I hear you say, but I prefer having wide stereo mixes that are mono compatible.

The only reason I am refraining from buying the MF-103 is because it does not have MIDI, I would be all over it other wise.

CAn you answer me this: is it not possible to do this with a midi CV converter? I think I could with my Doepfer Dark Energy and assigning one of the CV outs to a pro tools synched lfo. If this is the case, then midi is not needed? Am I missing something?

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:35 am

Yes you can do it via MIDI>CV converter, but that involves buying one, with many CV outputs to run multiple CV outputs, which a lot of people are not willing to spend cash on to sync up multiple MFs. I am waiting for the Dark Energy V2 in and then I will look into maybe getting the MF-103. Sucks that my Slim Phatty does not come with CV/Gate outs but that's life.
If the MF-103 had MIDI support it would be sitting next to my MF-108 and MF-102 already.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:42 am

I think MIDI is great new way to automate your foogers and have additional control. I love CV. It is so intuitive and can enhance improvisation. When I play live I play mostly with CV. But in the studio MIDI is great.
The approach is so different.
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:29 pm

This is a really difficult topic for me to discuss.

Let's start by saying that I love CV control. Making one Moogerfooger tell another one what to do, or processing one LFO with an envelope then sending it back to itself is a tonne of funn! I am always impressed by a musician that can multitask with unforgiving equipment.

Now with that said, MIDI creates a certain convenience within a fooger. It allows the user to choose to use another system of control outside of the front panel / CV ins to not only do what you could normally do, but so much more. This obviously adds value to many of the newer methods of programming music. It also compacts a number of features that were not available using the panel alone.

Both are great, both are limited from each others perspectives.

I want lots of people buying MOOG products, so they have money to develop more products. If that means MIDI is a part of that, and I don't use it, then I don't use it. That said I don't want to be "short changed" the lack of CV OUT interconnect ability.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.