Phaser or Murf?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Mr Shave

Phaser or Murf?

Post by Mr Shave » Thu May 31, 2012 7:43 pm

Alright everyone... Here is what I have, 101, 102, 104z, 107, and the 108M. I made a custom rack with patch bay to house them all, but only made it large enough for 6 foogers... So, between the phaser or the murf, which would you suggest I get and why? I'm kind of leaning towards the muf mostly because i feel like i can get similar sounds out of the cluster flux... But im not sure.

Cheers!

Mike

Re: Phaser or Murf?

Post by Mike » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:06 am

It's an easy choice, sell your MF-104z to me and you can buy both! :D

Or wait until they release a MF-106 and MF-109 (hi to the completists searching for info on an MF-106 ;-) )and you can just add another complete row...

OT, although I love my phaser, I think a MuRF would offer more sonically.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:12 pm

The phaser is a one trick pony...but it does that one trick in a hundred different ways. The MuRF is a pretty cool thing, too...it depends on the kinds of things you want to do. Are you looking for something with patterns that can be used as a controlled S&H or filterbank? Or are you looking for something that adds swirls, whooshes, and sweeps?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Mr Shave

Post by Mr Shave » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Haha, yeah, i'll wait for the 106 and 109... haha... If I were to add another row, this rack would be like 4.5 feet tall... Thats too tall! :)

And I scrambled to get the 104z when Moog announced it was going to be discontinued about a year ago, so no chance in me selling that puppy yet! I think I got one of the last ones manufactured. I was lucky to get it though, when i ordered from Sweetwater, they said they were back ordered...

As for what I'm looking for, im not really all that sure! I feel like I can get sweeps and swooshes from the cluster flux, and I dont really like how it doesnt have a mix control, and the stun "feature" is humorous... As for more sonic capabilities, I think the MuRF sounds better...

So much to think about...

Thanks guys. I would love to hear more pros-cons to each fooger...

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Will you be using it primarily for guitar? Important question.

I have a Murf and while you can obviously play anything through it, it's most useful in my opinion for synths and either sequences, drones, or sustained notes.

I don't have the Phaser but had a Effectrode Phase-o-matic a few years ago; liked it alot but replaced it with the ClusterFlux. So I agree with whoever it was that said you can get some of the phase sounds from the Flux.

BUT if I were a guitar player, I might opt for the Phaser; many people really rely on a pedal like that on their pedalboard.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Mr Shave

Post by Mr Shave » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Yeah, im not a guitar player, so they would be pretty much exclusively used with the Phatty and Voyager...

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:48 am

The murf has all of the cool sequencing ability, plus it does good phaser sounds. I think for the type of stuf that I was going for on the bass, it was very classic sounding. I rarely use the phaser for other instruments.

THe greatest thing was using the murf at the end of the audio chain, just after the delay. Each delay was on a different side and swirling. It was great, but my Murf was defective (had a really bad 60 cycle hum that was on one filter on the mids section, and very responsive to the active pickups on my bass).

I want the 105 and 108, but thats a huge 44 space cabinet/power supply.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MC

Post by MC » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:55 pm

The CF and phaser are very different sounding units. Neither will get the effect of the other.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Mr Shave wrote:So much to think about... I would love to hear more pros-cons to each fooger.
Hi Mr Shave,

I own and love both and would go through the following painful thoughts
if I had to sell one of them to eat:

MF-103: Beautiful stereo sound, has LFO Out!, LFO has a wide speed range,
is cheaper. Works great with both long sounds and short rhythmic sounds.
Works with lots of different source timbres.

But... There are a lot of cool stereo phase shifters out there (not as CV
flexible, to be sure). And, if you want rhythmic elements added to your
sound, you'd need to use a more complex LFO or Env from another device.

MF-105M: Beautiful stereo sound. Makes sounds like nothing else out
there. No LFO Out, more expensive. Works best with full-frequency range,
long sounds (better to hear the rhythms). Lots of MIDI control (including Note
numbers), responds to Rate knob, Tap Tempo, Step, and MIDI Clock. OS can
be updated via MIDI. Has a really cool Pattern Editor.

But... If rhythmic pulses of different frequency bands isn't a major part of
your "sound", or you want to play complex rhythms on your instrument,
then maybe the MF-103 is better.

Certainly not an easy choice, but I hope it helps.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Mr Shave

Post by Mr Shave » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:11 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone! Dan, I appreciate your "analysis" on the pros/cons!

vasago

Post by vasago » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:37 pm

Murf all the way. Can do more with it(assuming you have a midi murf). Phaser is cool, but generally my least used fooger(I have all of them).
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

n2design

Post by n2design » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:02 am

I have both, and if I had to sell one it would def be the murf!! might add though that a phaser is one of my fav effects, esp when set on a slow rate.