Should I get a CP-251?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
jimtheswede

Should I get a CP-251?

Post by jimtheswede » Thu May 24, 2012 10:15 pm

Hi all!
I am really interested in the CP-251 to interface with a (preordered) MiniBriute and my Doepfer Dark Energy. I would use the MiniBrute as a CV controller with the DE that does not have any attenuation controls. There is not much out there on the web regarding functionality of the CP-251, other than using with a Little Phatty or other Moogerfoogers. Just wondering - how do others use this unit with other CV capable synths. I know I could use the Mixer section and Multiples, but is it worth getting for other uses as well? They are not inexpensive, but seem to offer many other CV posssibilities that are not available for the Dark Energy or MiniBrute.

Just curious how others use it and like it with other CV capable synths. Is it worth getting? I already have a Slim Phatty, Odyssey/Little Brother but thinking to only use it for MiniBrute/Dark Energy combo. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Jim

vasago

Re: Should I get a CP-251?

Post by vasago » Fri May 25, 2012 1:02 pm

To answer your question: Yes get one. I have three. Theyre ridiculous.
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

jimtheswede

Post by jimtheswede » Fri May 25, 2012 1:55 pm

vasago wrote:To answer your question: Yes get one. I have three. Theyre ridiculous.
Thanks for your feedback. I know it was a sort of "open-ended" question.
Do you use yours with something other than Moogerfoogers or LP/SP?

Thanks! :)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:55 pm

I use mine to the point that if I had another, I wouldn't leave the house! I use the LFO, S&H, and mixer the most, but occasionally I use the other great features, too. :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri May 25, 2012 11:13 pm

I sold off my spare CP's as I didn't need all the duplication of functionality. Having an 88 space MU modular helps. But at least one is a necessity.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat May 26, 2012 8:43 am

I use my CP as a modulation source for a "second voice" with the Foogers. I will run the lfo and lag processor to the Freqbox, then send the freqbox to the input of the voyager or to a mixer and bring up the volume when necessary.

With the MicroMoog I will use the mixer and attens to make the ringmod and freqbox as external oscs.

I'll use the LFO to control the rate of my dotcom sequencer, so other destinations for the LFO (like sample and hold to the 101 filter cutoff) are in perfect sync.

Just the noise source and a filter will add more textures to a track.

The minibrute has midi, doesn't it? I didn't even know if the minibrute had cv outs.

If you had a dark energy, a CP 251 will be an external modulation source. But what really makes CV devices even better is having more than one cv device to use with it. The best example is the moogerfoogers. Most Foogers have at least two modules in them. When you have just one fooger and a cp, that makes the one better, but when you have two or more foogers and a CP, that really begins to expand what they all will do. The cp has about seven modules in it.

It is a handy device.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Roy

Post by Roy » Sat May 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Yes indeed. I use mine with a Dark Energy, a patch panel SEM and a couple of mooger foogers, it adds so much to the CV world.

My only qualification is that it is a PITA to go from 1/"4 to 1/8" and back again, and if you find a good source of ready made patch leads with one type on each end, let me know?

I got a dozen mono adapters from my local electronics supplier (~$10), and they work ok, just not as well as the couple of ready mades that come with the DE.

But, it adds a lot to the DE.

Roy.

vasago

Post by vasago » Sat May 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Personally, I dont like the Dark Energy. Too compact for my tastes, but it is a decent sequencer. The Oberkonr is a bit better, where to the best analog sequencer I have yet to try is moon modular 569. A bit expensive though.

Anyway, I use mine with my voyager, foogers, Future Retro XS, sh101 and mc202. They are soooo useful. I used to use them on my slim phatty chain, but I have startted selling them off one by one. However, you can never have enough spare LFO's. The mixers are an added benefit. Also, the attenuators are useful, since moog gear needs cv attenuated before going to the unit itself.
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

jimtheswede

Post by jimtheswede » Sat May 26, 2012 11:23 pm

Roy wrote:Yes indeed. I use mine with a Dark Energy, a patch panel SEM and a couple of mooger foogers, it adds so much to the CV world.

My only qualification is that it is a PITA to go from 1/"4 to 1/8" and back again, and if you find a good source of ready made patch leads with one type on each end, let me know?

I got a dozen mono adapters from my local electronics supplier (~$10), and they work ok, just not as well as the couple of ready mades that come with the DE.

But, it adds a lot to the DE.

Roy.
Thanks Roy - this is really addressing what I was asking. I've got a load of adapters for the 1/8 to 1/4 cables, and I realize the PITA! I might look at connection it also the my Slim Phatty, but want to keep things simple for now and use the SP for other things- bass, etc. Sounds like I should go ahead and get one! :D

vasago

Post by vasago » Sun May 27, 2012 11:03 am

Yeah the adapters are kind of a giant pain in the ass to have lying around, and they are about 3-5 bucks each. Do yourself a favor and avoid the 1/4 female > 3.5 mm male adapters. Theyre way too clunky and always thought they damage a unit by the way they sit/fit.

jimtheswede

Post by jimtheswede » Sun May 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Roy wrote: My only qualification is that it is a PITA to go from 1/"4 to 1/8" and back again, and if you find a good source of ready made patch leads with one type on each end, let me know?

Roy.
These cables would appear to work better than adapters - could get expensive depending on how many you need.
Hosa 3.5 mm TS to 1/4" TS Mono Interconnect (3')
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP303

Roy

Post by Roy » Tue May 29, 2012 4:24 am

Thanks for the tip jimtheswede, have ordered some.

btw Dark Energy is the little monosynth, Dark Time in the sequencer (which I have no experience with).

Cheers,

Roy

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Tue May 29, 2012 8:58 am

I have to admit I need another one.
I'm sure that there isn't anything like CP for it's price and size.
It is essential tool for CV.
I was searching for something like it, just to have something else, but there is no thing like CP.
I use it with my foogers, slim phatty, prodigy and MP-201.

I just wish moog would make another one, with different stuff... like Ring modulator for CV, a simple VCA for CV,
and ADSR.

Please! :mrgreen:
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

Roy

Post by Roy » Wed May 30, 2012 5:21 am

Vitja wrote:I have to admit I need another one.
I was searching for something like it, just to have something else, but there is no thing like CP.

I just wish moog would make another one, with different stuff... like Ring modulator for CV, a simple VCA for CV,
and ADSR.

Agreed! bring on a CP252 with all that stuff.

jimtheswede

Post by jimtheswede » Thu May 31, 2012 12:34 am

Roy wrote:
Vitja wrote:I have to admit I need another one.

and ADSR.

Agreed! bring on a CP252 with all that stuff.
I agree as well. I've searched and there is really no other "desktop" unit that is out there that provides the CV functions. A CP-252 would be cool - I was thinking they could do that also! :D
I will get one once the MiniBrute gets delivered. I assume this will also lead into getting a Moogerfooger - any suggestions for my 1st one?

Thanks all for the suggestions.