mf 101 rf noise

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Emil

mf 101 rf noise

Post by Emil » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:46 pm

I have come across some noisey radio frequencies while using the LPF, and was wondering if there is a reccommendation to overcome strong signals that add background music and talking on advertisements. I use shielded cables. My guess is all cables are shielded, have gone to the hyped line of cables, and usually use balanced TRS. The ground seems firmly attached.
Even a similar story or two would serve to assist in my putting up with the noise. I should add that the effects in connection with the CP 251 are such that I still do not entertain parting with the pedal for the generous offer from moog to give a look as to the nature of this problem in my location.

Doki Doki

Post by Doki Doki » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:58 pm

I've never heard of radio noise caused by a moogerfooger. Are you sure it is not your instrument or amp? What are you using?
Happy owner of AE0380.

Emil

Post by Emil » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:03 pm

I have gone to a mixer that is noisier than I would like. I first noticed directly on the active sudiophile monitors I use. With different values of drive and various amp values I still receive a rather radio signal from a local station. For the most part, other gear does not have this problem. If I recollect the noise stops if bypass switch is red.

Doki Doki

Post by Doki Doki » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:38 pm

It might be your location. Are you near any radio towers or are you in a tall building? I have a friend who lives on top of a hill and a few blocks away from a tower and he is always picking up radio brodcasts.
Happy owner of AE0380.

Emil

Post by Emil » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:59 pm

There are power cables strung down a corridor two miles away. The three radio towers are four to six miles away.

I met a physicist prof, who said to bring the mofo 101 to his building. The location is relatively close to my home. He can put on a scope and see if we can find a work around to keep the unit from going back through the mail.

I have the phaser,as well, and this to has the rf noise too , though at a lower volume.

Thank You.

Doki Doki

Post by Doki Doki » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:30 pm

Well, I think you can eliminate the possibility of a faulty unit if your 103 is making noise, too. I little static is normal in MFs, but you say you are picking up radio frequencies. My guess would be it is your location, but I could be entirely wrong. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Happy owner of AE0380.

Emil

Post by Emil » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:20 pm

Thank you, Doki Doki! In this area of town we did have difficulties with interference, such that the cable companies had to do a reconfiguring of their system all for one channel. I believe theerin lies the problem, although the TV situ was fixed. It took well over four years, so it must have been a real challenge.

quiet_channel

noisy moogerfoogers!

Post by quiet_channel » Mon May 08, 2006 11:09 am

actually, i spoke to a tech at moog about this very issue. he admitted that there was a persistent interference/noise problem with the mf-101 that even bob couldn't track down. .

when i opened the mf-101, i was surprised to see that while the top and bottom of the pedal make a very good connections with ground and each other, there's actually NO SHIELDING ON THE SIDES!

i cut out some thin brass sheets to fit the sides. i glued them to the insides of the wood panels with contact cement. and i also covered the brass sheets with copper tape. the tape folded over the inside edges of the wood panels so it'd connect with the grounded top and bottom of the metal case. i did have to shave away a little of the baked-on paint around the screw points to ensure a good connection.

it took in total about 30-40 minutes and has greatly reduced the pedal's level of hum and interference.. i recommend that anyone else with a noisy moogerfooger do the same.

i honestly can't believe that moog didn't shield the sides from the start. (!!!!!)

i'm curious to see if my cp-251 and mf-102 will have any similar issues.. i doubt that the cp will, since it mainly deals in control and not audio signal.
i'll soon see.

let me know if you've got any further questions. also, let me know if you manage to tame your pedal with this or any other method of shielding/modification !

-robert
[ myspace.com/randrewscott ]
Last edited by quiet_channel on Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

brain_11

Post by brain_11 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:10 am

I had the exact same issue on my MF pedals. I think the MF-103 was the noisiest one. When I rewired my studio, the radio signal went away. There is a radio tower very near by, unfortunatelly.

brain_11

Post by brain_11 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:11 am

I had the exact same issue on my MF pedals. I think the MF-103 was the noisiest one. When I rewired my studio, the radio signal went away. There is a radio tower very near by, unfortunatelly.

brain_11

Post by brain_11 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:12 am

brain_11

Post by brain_11 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:14 am

brain_11

Post by brain_11 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:14 am

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:26 pm

brain_11 wrote:I had the exact same issue on my MF pedals. I think the MF-103 was the noisiest one. When I rewired my studio, the radio signal went away. There is a radio tower very near by, unfortunatelly.
:lol:

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:15 am

I always pick up radio stations, I actually live in the perfect spot to pick them up. My creative room is on the 2nd floor, surrounded by above ground electric lines (corner house), traffic and street lights, two 18 storey apartment buildings about a foot ball field and a half a way, and on top of all of that I don't have a true ground in the old wiring, just a GFI!

My set-up is completely silent - when the power is off that is. To be honest though, I can only tune into the radio when I have some type of drive adding effect on, like the MF 101 or tube screamer, otherwise my set-up is pretty silent (lots of work to get it that way, but it is).

I have actually taken advantage of the radio stations in a song, with the right **foot** controlable FX, you can change stations!! Hook up a delay, and all kinds of fun can be had!

The solution to radio frequency interference can be as simple as moving the culprit, even pointing it in a different direction, or more complex like shielding.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.