Attenuating the MF 107 question

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
ZenHead

Attenuating the MF 107 question

Post by ZenHead » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:21 pm

I don’t have a CP 251. I’m thinking it might solve a problem.

I’m using an MF freq box with an MF low pass filter. I’ve plugged a guitar into the audio in on the freq box. The osc out on the freq box is going to the audio in on the MF 101. Then 101 audio out to my amp.

I think I’m controlling the voltage controlled pitch signal from the freq box. But its oscillator is still in the signal. My question is; can I attenuate the osc signal, hopefully with a CP 251, and still keep my voltage controlled pitch signal.

artpunk

Re: Attenuating the MF 107 question

Post by artpunk » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:33 am

ZenHead wrote:I don’t have a CP 251. I’m thinking it might solve a problem.

I’m using an MF freq box with an MF low pass filter. I’ve plugged a guitar into the audio in on the freq box. The osc out on the freq box is going to the audio in on the MF 101. Then 101 audio out to my amp.

I think I’m controlling the voltage controlled pitch signal from the freq box. But its oscillator is still in the signal. My question is; can I attenuate the osc signal, hopefully with a CP 251, and still keep my voltage controlled pitch signal.
Hi Zenhead! The short answer is an attenuator will attenuate the oscillator signal as it's name implies, but it's more complex (or if you look at it another way, simpler) than that - in reality if you have the OSC out going to the audio input of the filter you can just adjust/attenuate the input level of that signal by adjusting the drive on the 101. However, the VCO out is a constant direct output from the MF-107's Oscillator, before it goes to the VCA of the Freqbox. It is always 'on' so will definitely be in the audio signal you route through your MF-101, but your original drive signal, that of your guitar won't be, as there is no 'mix' control for the VCO output to mix your original signal and the VCO signal- if you want that, you are best to use the audio out of the Freqbox rather than the OSC out. It is important to also note that the manual warns that the OSC out is a lot stronger than an instrument level signal, not recommended for plugging into an instrument amplifier.

P.S. If you don't have the manual for the Freqbox, you can get it here: http://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default/ ... al_web.pdf
I strongly recommend you read it! :wink:
Cheers,
Cameron

"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST."
— Frank Zappa

ZenHead

Post by ZenHead » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks Artpunk.

I have been hoping to get my guitar signal into the synth arena. I think, for the sounds I’m trying to get, I’m going to stick with my midi guitar idea. I’m looking at getting a Roland GR-55. I have a 13 pin Godin Multiac. I was thinking if I sent midi notes from the GR-55 to an MP-201 and send the LFO signals to a number of MF-107’s and combine them with a CP-251; I think you get the idea. I want to directly control the oscillator by guitar without too much guitar characteristics coming through.

My product idea for Moog. Make a 13 pin input to an MP-201-like device that will convert midi signal to pitch voltage control. They already have a 13 pin modification for the Moog Guitar. Let’s go all the way with this.

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:04 pm

If you want wanky sounds driven by your guitar, two ways:

1. using 'Hard Sync' - basically causing an oscillator to re-trigger and thus follow the guitar's pitch. Things that do this are Moog Freqbox, if you use the Audio path,
Pigtronix Mothership, EHx Micro Synth/POG/HOG. Drawback: pretty much single-note only, envelope controlled by guitar. Positive: good with wild atonal stuff and crazy noises.

2. Use a Godin, or add a hex pickup to the guitar (GK, RMC, Shadow) and get guitar->MIDI converter, afaik only from Roland. Then get something that hears MIDI and outputs something useful.
The MP-201 will do 4 channels of CV, there are many other choices. Drawbacks: Tracking and technique. Positive: Polyphonic.

The list of companies that have marketed 13-pin -> MIDI gear, and failed/died is unfortunately quite long, Roland seems to be the only survivor, and those products are a tiny part of
their line. I would not wish such a fate on Moog. The MP-201 is discontinued, and the Moog Guitar seems rather in limbo atm, I'd rather see Moog do things that make them succeed, preferably
things that keep the Moog Guitar alive :)

I would say your best bet is the GR-55, you might look for a used MIDI-only device such as the GR-10/20 or Axon/Terratec. What you do with the MIDI out is a matter of cash reserves, 6 Slim Phatties might be fun...
The GR-55 itself has useful COSM guitar-modeling, but the synth side is a ROMpler - wasn't that useful for me.