nord lead 2x through mf101?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
namahshaman

nord lead 2x through mf101?

Post by namahshaman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Greetings, fellow knob-tweakers. Ever since I got my Phatty last year, the filter on my Nord sounds a bit weak. I've been considering adding the mf101 to my rig (as I am slowly collecting all the 'foogers) and running my Lead2x through it to add some dimension to the sound. However, I am still a bit of a synth novice, and I was wondering if any of you pros out there had ever attempted this, or something similar, and what were the results? Thanks for any input you may have.

Rabalder

Re: nord lead 2x through mf101?

Post by Rabalder » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:55 pm

My first moog gear was a 101 which I bought for my blofeld desktop to use as a "master-filter". TOTAL success!
It put color in black & white..

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Rabalder wrote:My first moog gear was a 101 which I bought for my blofeld desktop to use as a "master-filter". TOTAL success!
It put color in black & white..
WHUUUUAAAAT?? YOU have a Blofeld??? Don't you know VA is Evil??? :lol: :wink:

Seriously speaking, it will sound good for sure. The only limitation -to me- is that you cannot really use this in poly mode.
BTW you can try this with your Phatty's audio input and MIDI, I guess.

Mr Shave

Post by Mr Shave » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:08 pm

I almost feel like using the phatty and midi is superior to the MF-101 for the shear fact that you have envelope generators... With only the 101, its hard to get that type of modulation (unless you are really good with a foot pedal or your hand).

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:WHUUUUAAAAT?? YOU have a Blofeld??? Don't you know VA is Evil???
The 101 transformed my understanding of what good sound was..
Sold the blofeld 2 weeks later and bought my first phatty :wink: No regrets :mrgreen:

I agree with the envelope problem..
My first synth was a nord lead 2x, but unfortunately I sold it long before I got into moog.
If you want your nord lead to sound 100% like a nord lead, you'd probably not want to use the 101.
It colors the sound a lot, but it does sound fantastic.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:21 am

Rabalder wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote:WHUUUUAAAAT?? YOU have a Blofeld??? Don't you know VA is Evil???
The 101 transformed my understanding of what good sound was..
Sold the blofeld 2 weeks later and bought my first phatty :wink: No regrets :mrgreen:
Never had any Blofeld but I totally get your point :)

Namashaman, Rabalder summed it up perfect. It depends on your willing to keep the Nord character or not. Moog gear has its own color, completely different from Nord. I find they go well together BTW.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:28 am

thanks for all the input, everyone. Excellent point about the 101 not having an envelope generator. Probably would serve me better to run it through the phatty . . . or, I've been thinking recently that perhaps the Minitaur would be a cool analog module to run the nord through. To the purists, I would love to one day find an analog replacement for my nord lead, any suggestions you have will be seriously considered. thanks again

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Have you tried the Prophet 08? Quite not the same beast but... worth trying.

varice

Post by varice » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:23 pm

Here is my Nord Modular G2X modified to use a MF-101 as an external analog filter module for monophonic patches:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-12266.html

Yes, you need to have CV into the MF-101 filter cutoff for EG, LFO, etc. modulation for best results. Better to run your Nord Lead digital oscillators into your Phatty in mono/unison mode and let the Phatty handle the modulation of its filter. The Minitaur might not be the best option as it appears that its oscillator pitch range may be limited.

As far as a replacement for the Nord Lead with a real poly analog Moog, your options are to first score a lot of cash, then buy a good condition Memorymoog or polychain a bunch of Phatties or Voyagers… :)

If you would like something other than the Moog filter sound, I would recommend a Prophet-5 (or a Prophet-08 or Andromeda). My Prophet-5 rev3 CEM filters sound much more like my Nord Modular G1 Rack and G2X “Nord” 24dB LP filter modules (probably the same type sounding LP filter in the Lead 2X), but without any of the digital VA aliasing noise, of course… :D
varice

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:26 am

stiiiiiiive, I actually have considered the dsi Prophet 08 for an affordable poly-synth, but I've never had the opportunity to play with one. Also, one thing I love about the Nord is having 4 banks/parts, the Prophet only has 2. I could probably get used to that, but I have a lot of layered sounds that I use for trippy interludes (with my band) and I'm not so sure I could recreate those on the Prophet (no harm starting from scratch, I suppose). I've also heard some people describe the Prophet as "brighter" than Moog or other analogs (hard to tell from youtube) . . . what do you guys think?

varice, I am thoroughly impressed with you synth-knowledge, wow. I've got a lot to learn from guys like you.

thank you both

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:06 pm

The Doepfer Dark Energy has a filter similar to what can be heard on the Nord instruments. The Moog Little Phatty has more juice, it takes more "space" while being less agressive. The DSI Evolver filter is in between, to my ears at least.

It's true the P08 has only two patches layered. However it has more mouldation possibilities hence grabing more attention to the ears. I think you should try it.

Another option is the Clavia Modular series-first one or G2- since you can program patches with DYI oscilltors and filters. I use such a patch and I was surprised when I finally tried a Nord Lead 2X : eventhough it's a VA from Nord, the G2 can get a much more analogue feel this way than using the basic oscillators/filters modules.
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:28 pm

Yes, I should definitely look into the Prophet . . . just not sure how far I'd have to drive to test one out. I'm sure I could use the array of modulation it offers to create some pretty psychedelic sounds, even if they vary from my current pallet. Not sure if I'm reading in the wrong places, but I seem to come across more negative reivews for the Evolver than positive . . . would still love to play with one though.

As for the Dark Energy, am I wrong, or like the minitaur, doesn't it only offer saw and square wave? For something along those lines, have you seen the new MacBeth Micromac? Seems similar to these two, but offers more wave forms and an additional VCO. Of course, they haven't announced a price for those yet. hmm . . . Would the voltage even match up with Moog?

The Nord modular seems really cool, but it's hard to think about getting another VA, otherwise I'd probably grab a virus TI, or at least a Nord wave.

Just curious, what all gear do you use?

(my amateur rig: nord lead 2x, nord electro 2 rack, moog slim phatty, CP251, mf102, mf107, doepfer r2m, korg electribe esx1, korg KP3, roland space echo, line6 DL4, boss RT-20, VE-20, electro-harmonix V256, pigtronix echolution. through an allen & heath ZED14, into a pair of QSC KW153's, pair of K12's and a K-sub).

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Mostly Clavia, Electro Harmonix and Moog.

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:49 pm

namahshaman wrote:I've also heard some people describe the Prophet as "brighter" than Moog or other analogs (hard to tell from youtube) . . . what do you guys think?
Horrible synth...I played about with one last summer... I wouldn't use it if you gave me one !
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:59 pm

namahshaman wrote:For something along those lines, have you seen the new MacBeth Micromac? Seems similar to these two, but offers more wave forms and an additional VCO. Of course, they haven't announced a price for those yet. hmm . . . Would the voltage even match up with Moog?
The Dark Energy is not in the same league as the Micromac or the Vortex, and from what I've heard so far, neither is the Minitaur. Prices have been announced (unofficially), the Vortex desktop edition -which I am getting is about 1300 pounds plus tax and I understand the Micromac will be about 995 UKP.

Don't know about the voltage, it's not going to be hooked up to my Voyager, but to my sequencer on which the output voltage can be configured.
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo