Thread for MF-108 pics/recordings

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Alien8

Re: Thread for MF-108 pics/recordings

Post by Alien8 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:26 am

The one thing that I notice in both EMwhite's recording (thank-you by the way!!! You did a good job of exploring the pedal for us!) and the Sweetwater video is a high pitched "ringmodish" sound from the clusterflux. I might be hearing some internet aliasing, but I'm pretty sure I'm not - can anyone clarify this? It's really subtle in the Sweetwater vid, and more pronounced in EMwhites, and I'm guessing that is because it becomes more apparent for lower frequency input. (it's neither good or bad, just a part of it's sound...)

Watching the video from Create digital music you can hear it between 6:05 and 7:15...

Can anyone confirm this for me? - that you hear it from the live pedal, not over the internet...
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:26 am

It would likely help to have seen the knobs/settings during the recording. I tried setting up my camera on Wednesday but couldn't get a good shot of the pedal and have the camera setup at an appropriate height to see the pedal based on how everything is wired in my studio (it's a mess at the moment).

But this might help (based on settings on pages 6-9 in the manual. I also recorded something using "vibrato" which I really really like alot but I didn't like my sloppy playing so nixed it.

0:00-0:36 "classic flanging"
0:36-1:42: "classic chorus"
{don't know}
2:12-4:44 "random flange"
4:45-7:27 "ramp wave pitch mod" {with tweaking}
7:28-8:13 "classic chorus" with very little feedback
8:14-end "ramp wave pitch mod" with slower rate and higher feedback until the slapping part where it's backed off around 8:47; then up again anybodies guess after that.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

zorbas

Post by zorbas » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Has anyone investigated the 'spillover' mode that was previously advertised as enabling some drone? Mmmmmmm, I love me some DRONE.
"Lately it occurs to me, what a long, strange trip it's been"

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:13 am

Well I have had a wonderful experience exploring this pedal, when I've had time in my hectic schedule.

It can do some beautiful things resembling "through-zero flanging" and "barber-pole flanging" as well as many variations on "Shepard's Tone," and "Shepard's-Risset Glissandos." It seems to go well beyond defined chorus-flange territory. 8)

I would love to do a demo . . . but I'm 'fraid I'm fooger-rich and everything else po-dunk. :( I have an iphone 4, but it makes mince-meat of everything! I'm pretty much puro analog as far as music equipment right now.

Thus, I would love to know if someone can figure out how to make the smooth-random waveform appear analog-ly. I was thinking that perhaps a post-Sine wave either via 102, 103 or CP-251 would do the trick or is there a DULLARD code?! For now, I just keep the mix low when using random to not squash the beauty of my contrapuntal lines, but still evoke an ever-evolving movement. :?

I was listening to TV on the Radio's "Nine Types of Light" and the beautifully impressionistic guitar textures on that album and wondered if perhaps they acquired a prototype of this pedal, although they may have accomplished some similar with Ringmod or Phaser in the Feedback loops in a 104Z, SD, etc.
Alien8 wrote:The one thing that I notice in both EMwhite's recording (thank-you by the way!!! You did a good job of exploring the pedal for us!) and the Sweetwater video is a high pitched "ringmodish" sound from the clusterflux. I might be hearing some internet aliasing, but I'm pretty sure I'm not - can anyone clarify this? It's really subtle in the Sweetwater vid, and more pronounced in EMwhites, and I'm guessing that is because it becomes more apparent for lower frequency input. (it's neither good or bad, just a part of it's sound...)

Watching the video from Create digital music you can hear it between 6:05 and 7:15...

Can anyone confirm this for me? - that you hear it from the live pedal, not over the internet...
Yes, Alien 8. When you dial the time knob > 8 in either chorus or flanger mode, and > 2 on the feedback knob (both negative and positive), plus have the lfo amount < 4, you will get a raspy hiss and other high-pitched sounds on certain wave forms when they hit their peak frequency/modulation. It resembled a snake hissing, and it becomes mixed with the whole sound. Pretty annoying if its unwanted, but sometimes it sound cool. Its hard to control with EP-2s. It's a very weird quirk, but probably a function of the BBD's.

I may not be exact, but those settings seemed to produce all the weird noise. Perhaps it is just my pedal.

I have no idea why Moog hasn't designed their own superior BBDS or other technology without the ridiculous squealing and hissing noises these antique chips produce when overloaded. I know Fulltone tried, and ultimately failed, but if anyone can do it, its Moog! :P

I want two, but I am going to wait and see if they will fix any of these bugs.
zorbas wrote:Has anyone investigated the 'spillover' mode that was previously advertised as enabling some drone? Mmmmmmm, I love me some DRONE.
It seems to produce a drone with the feedback all the way up. If you run in stereo and turn the wet mix down, the right channel will just generate wave-form based noise, and your left channel will be your guitar or whatever. The right channel may be effected by what you play, but if the LFO amount is cranked, its not noticeable. This is what I can accomplish non-MIDI. :D

Also, I would like to point out that while the manual indicated that there is little noticeable difference between negative and positive feedback when in chorus mode; I personally can hear a world of subtlety there. Perhaps its because I primarily use solid state amplifiers.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:03 am

Has anyone tried the feedback loop yet?

I have . . . and it defied all my expectations. It is Face-meltingly awesome. I really get the sense now that this machine is truly unlimited. The Feedback loops does not bypass the selected LFO waveform, instead you are able to put anything inside the loop and it interacts with the LFO in amazing ways.

GC has all its Monster Power Studio Link Send and Return cables on clearance in the stores, at least they did at my local locations. Get them now and try it Fellow Fluxers! :D

Jaguarfooger

Post by Jaguarfooger » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:03 pm

Croyote wrote:Has anyone tried the feedback loop yet?

I have . . . and it defied all my expectations. It is Face-meltingly awesome. I really get the sense now that this machine is truly unlimited. The Feedback loops does not bypass the selected LFO waveform, instead you are able to put anything inside the loop and it interacts with the LFO in amazing ways.

GC has all its Monster Power Studio Link Send and Return cables on clearance in the stores, at least they did at my local locations. Get them now and try it Fellow Fluxers! :D
The send/receive loop was a feature that really sparked my imagination when this pedal was first advertised. I've discovered some especially fun sounds with the effects loop on the 104z--especially with a second delay or a pitch bending effect (Rign Mod or EHX Hog). I would love to hear samples of what kinds of sounds the 106 is capable of producing with other effects in its signal path.

Oh--I'm already sold on one....just looking for some now sounds to keep me excited while I look for the sweetest deal.

zorbas

Post by zorbas » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:43 pm

I'm surprised that I haven't seen many posting on youtube, etc. showcasing this bad boy. While the rest of us sit waiting patiently for our backordered 108s, let's have you early birds do some more posting of the goodness to come!

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Ok, here's an offer... I have the next 2 evenings to myself (wife out of town on business) so I may be able to do something. I ran into a dead end last time I tried to do vide because my Sony camera (which I thought was high end when I bought it 2 yrs ago) doesn't have audio out. So my only hope is to record via Logic at the same time as I record video then import the video and try and synch. Might be hopeless but I'll give it a shot.

What do you want:

- Midi clock sync with Drum beat
- A particular synth sound played through either flange/chorus/kaos (if so what type of sound; see my gear list below, I have enough for synth basses, strings, etc).
- More bad bass playing?

... or just a demonstration of the extremes of the knobs and settings and the affected sound?

Let me know and I'll do something Tuesday night and post Wednesday.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

zorbas

Post by zorbas » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Haha, a special request, eh? Alright!

Some heavy/extreme flanging (go jet engine on it)
Some thick vibrato (fast, slow, etc.)

Thanks, friends.

Jaguarfooger

Post by Jaguarfooger » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:59 pm

EMwhite wrote:Ok, here's an offer... I have the next 2 evenings to myself (wife out of town on business) so I may be able to do something. I ran into a dead end last time I tried to do vide because my Sony camera (which I thought was high end when I bought it 2 yrs ago) doesn't have audio out. So my only hope is to record via Logic at the same time as I record video then import the video and try and synch. Might be hopeless but I'll give it a shot.

What do you want:

- Midi clock sync with Drum beat
- A particular synth sound played through either flange/chorus/kaos (if so what type of sound; see my gear list below, I have enough for synth basses, strings, etc).
- More bad bass playing?

... or just a demonstration of the extremes of the knobs and settings and the affected sound?

Let me know and I'll do something Tuesday night and post Wednesday.
Bass (or Guitar if you've got one). Put pick a couple of other Foogers/stomp boxes and let us hear what kinds of sounds you can get with the effects loop. I'd expecially like to hear these effects in the loop: ring mod, delay, anything that does pitch shifting (i.e., Whammy, Pog, or Hog). Not looking for any specific sounds--just hope you will share examples of the new sounds you discover. Thanks!

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:05 pm

Perhaps some slow flanging with simple input material to get a whiff of the harmonic intermingling?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:15 am

mhuxtable

Post by mhuxtable » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:19 pm

these are my toys i got on vacation in Asheville!

Fix'd Fuzz Deluxe from Blackout Effectors. Spillover Mod on my Moog delay. Then a Cluster Flux when I got back into town Sunday.

flippo

Post by flippo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:53 pm

ahoy hoy. some early experiments with my MF-108M, also featuring MF-104SD.

for my live electronica/dub set I had a 'dub siren' section ready to go. I now realised that with the MF-108 self oscilating, it makes a great analog dub siren.

http://soundcloud.com/flippo/moogerfooger-dub-siren-old

:)

Also love using the delay multiplier for a lo-fi reverb, great!

andvari7

Post by andvari7 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:50 pm

I've had my ClusterFlux for nearly a month, and I'm absolutely elated. It does what few choruses can aspire to do: complement the Roland Jazz Chorus. If I had a Strymon Ola, I'd have to take Dramamine before plugging in my Moog, Ola, and an Electro-Harmonix Stereo Polychorus into my Jazz Chorus. It would be the last word in chorus, and that is a frightening prospect.