C'mon MF-108

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
mico

Re: C'mon MF-108

Post by mico » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:28 am

Jaguarfooger wrote:Sweetwater posted a youtube demo using guitar and digital piano.e

http://youtu.be/3CpkKZDWeXQ

The demo mentions that through MIDI, there are some hidden parameters that can be accessed--that cannot be accessed via the knobs on the front. I wish that these comments were elaborated upon in the video.

Generally, I'm really surprised at how few videos have been made of this thing in action--and that discussion on this forum regarding the 108 has been so thin. I really hope that as these things get in more people's hands, we see more videos and get some more information about what it can do.

I'd especially like to see/hear what guitarists can do with it in terms of vibrato or pitch bending/detuning sounds using the non-triangle waveforms....also very curious to see what people can do with its internal effects loop (I believe that this is a feature that was mentioned a while back). And most of all, I'd love to see what kinds of effects can be dialed up using a CP 251 or Multi-pedal.

C'mmon!!
I do not own a CP-251 (but intend on getting two of them 1st Q/'12), but I do own an MP-201 and will try to get some videos up of what the MF-108m can do.
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

seank

Post by seank » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:37 am

did anyone who preordered from nova musik get a confirmation call/email yet?

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:29 pm

If you know Dan (glad he is back by the way), you know that his indeed a keyboard wizard, so as he said, Guitar not his strong suit. I suppose it's too much pedal to squeeze into a YouTube length video.

Would would be best is to have Brian Kehew do a Sonic Infinity series DVD on this pedal specifically and the MuRF, spend a good 20 minutes on each. Short of that, some video demos produced by Chris Stack would be great.

But if Guitar is what you want, Brett Kingman: http://www.youtube.com/user/Burgerman66 ... elBZ7_cdzQ or Andy from ProGuitarShop.com: http://proguitarshop.com/blog/red-witch ... haser-3026 are absolutely terrific choices. Moog marketing should have jumped on this in order to capture the Guitar crowd. I pre-ordered mine from Nova*Musik but have heard nothing. Surprised that #56 was already received. As Demo'n Dan said, 'this is a prototype' or at least early production.

If I get mine and others here are still wanting some proof that it's worth the coin, I'll be happy to demonstrate/video but again, I'm a bass player by trade and a moogerf'er 2nd.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:51 pm

EMwhite wrote:Would would be best is to have Brian Kehew do a Sonic Infinity series DVD on this pedal specifically and the MuRF, spend a good 20 minutes on each. Short of that, some video demos produced by Chris Stack would be great.
YESSSSSSSSS
Vitja wrote:yes... it is getting long.
That's what she said... (sorry, couldn't resist)
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:26 am

I want to hear the Flux with Synth, Electric Piano, and guitar/bass and maybe even vocals.
I also want to hear it with some other foogers in the audio chain, with SUBTLE modulation.

I realize that modulation is where it's at, but what appeals to me is the subtleties of the Foogers. I want to hear what just a tad of thick flange and chorus sounds like on different instruments.

Flux/Delay would be great...

Ringmod, Phaser, Flux, Delay would be astronomical,

Flux/Murf would be nice...

Flux Delay Murf would be nice also. Stuff like this.

Gimme one and I'll make that video!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:33 am

Have you pulled the trigger yet, Eric? ;)

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:34 am

Hahaha,
Nope, not quite yet. I think the best strategy is to let the early adopters field test them and get the kinks worked out. I still haven't picked up a Midi Murf yet.

WHat I did do, is I pulled the trigger on an Ergo 8 string electric upright bass, and tomorrow im getting an AT4040 condenser mic for some voiceover work for a project that I have to do (ive been needing a new mic for years).

Come to think of it, a Video with the Midi Murf and Flux would be nice featuring the MIDI aspects of both in tandum.

You will let me borrow yours though right?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:11 pm

seank wrote:did anyone who preordered from nova musik get a confirmation call/email yet?
...I got the call today
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
Moog Pocket Protector

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:49 pm

EricK wrote:Hahaha,
Nope, not quite yet. I think the best strategy is to let the early adopters field test them and get the kinks worked out. I still haven't picked up a Midi Murf yet.
First product ship is relatively safe. Moog wouldn't ship anything w/a version 1.0 that did not fundamentally work well. Whether or not there are problems in corner cases, that's a different discussion. I work in IT/Scientific field and software and compatibility with other gear/DAWs, etc. does tend to make things a bit more complicated.

Upgrades on the other hand are a complete different matter due to competing priorities and the amount of time required to test with all major components of the ecosystem (speaking generally here).

MuRF and ClusterFlux (mine is shipping as I type this), are particularly troublesome since the firmware doesn't give the benefit of a display to help troubleshoot matters. But I would tend to think that it would make the code testing even more stringent / demanding and thus produce a better product.

I really just want to play and tweak knobs save for midi clock. All of the other esoteric features can come later so I'm not concerned about all of the fancy modes, etc.

Really glad to hear it's finally on it's way...
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

mico

Post by mico » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:13 pm

EricK wrote:I want to hear the Flux with Synth, Electric Piano, and guitar/bass and maybe even vocals.
I also want to hear it with some other foogers in the audio chain, with SUBTLE modulation.

I realize that modulation is where it's at, but what appeals to me is the subtleties of the Foogers. I want to hear what just a tad of thick flange and chorus sounds like on different instruments.

Flux/Delay would be great...

Ringmod, Phaser, Flux, Delay would be astronomical,

Flux/Murf would be nice...

Flux Delay Murf would be nice also. Stuff like this.

Gimme one and I'll make that video!

Eric
I will do some sound demos of the listed MF variations/sequences and post the links in this thread once they've been uploaded. It may take some time, but it shall be done. I'm most particularly interested in the bolded idea.
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

mico

Post by mico » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:52 am

Okay, well, my signature explains my current range of Moogerfoogers and I will say that with this given palette, my most used variation so far has been MF-103 -> MF-108m post-source. There were times of great amusement with the sequence reversed, but I have but only tried this on my T3 and it can get brutal rather quickly with S&H LFO in 'Flange' range.

Most disappointing so far, relatively speaking, was MF-102 -> 108m post-source (T3). Although, admittedly, I did not have high hopes considering the T3's used frequency range. The only off-putting part of the matter was, that in other variations of MF sequences, the MF-102 has played a significant role in the shaping of the sound. It may have something to with the important fact that I have been trying no more than than one additional MF to the MF-108m (so I can get a feel for how the Cluster Flux "talks" with my other Moogerfoogers on a personal basis).

It is also important that I note that I did not do any trials with my MF-104z because it had started acting most curiously when I was using it to record a track for my full-length. The Feedback section seems to have lost it's cycling ability over the '8' mark. I need to look further into that, but I'm sure Moog would able to troubleshoot for me when I send it in for the long-overdue Spillover Mod.

I will be getting to some recorded sonic explorations of MF variations associating the MF-108m along the effects path. I cannot do any parallel 'foolery, but I'm sure someone will find the recordings useful.

For the recordings, I intend on using both the T3 and the LP -- separately and duophonically -- for the demo recordings.

While many a LP owner may boast that their LP can sound like a T3, I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh; the sounds of the filter are radically different alone.

That is not to speak ill of the LP, which handles higher frequencies far more better than the T3 (obviously). That, and an incredibly lush UI (I'm a strong fan of low-compromise minimalist).

Sorry for derailing there for a second, I often feel conveying justifications for opinions on the internet provides the reader with a greater ability with how to judge my opinion -- for better or for worse (considering it is mostly a matter of subjectivity).

What will really speak are the recordings. :wink:

tubeampguy

Post by tubeampguy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:52 pm

First flaw (and a fatal one at that!) I found with the MF-108m is the absence of a LFO output jack! What were they thinking leaving that feature out! Way to go Moog Music for the big let down! :x :evil:

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:25 am

I just got S/N 0021 today, and man -- I am seriously digging it! It is an amazing pedal, IMHO. To Cyril and everyone else who worked on it, great job!!!
tubeampguy wrote:First flaw (and a fatal one at that!) I found with the MF-108m is the absence of a LFO output jack! What were they thinking leaving that feature out! Way to go Moog Music for the big let down! :x :evil:
I think this was probably a design compromise owing to (lack of) real estate -- it's pretty crowded back there. I was actually thinking its flaw is that it can't do chorus and flange simultaneously... :wink:
Moog Pocket Protector

smut

Why MF not "stereo"???

Post by smut » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Jaguarfooger wrote:Sweetwater posted a youtube demo using guitar and digital piano.e
http://youtu.be/3CpkKZDWeXQ
sounds awesome, but watching this vid with keyboard let me wonder, why are the MF not in stereo, like eventide stompboxes? Makes sense with my voyager, in general all keyboards and DJ, too.
But if, please not for the double price as in the region of one LP. :wink:

600 US-$ with stereo would be a great deal for moog, too, as production of units would rise clearly, look at eventide. :idea:

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:57 pm

It certainly is stereo but only on the outbound side. There certainly are digital based higher end guitar pedals that have stereo-in AND stereo-out and they have effects such as ping pong delay, etc. but in the 108M's case, it's a series of BBD chips that are leveraged to produce stereo chorus effects.

If you were to put a split filter effect (Voyager out) into the Flux (or two of them for that matter), you'd like lose the subtlety. So best to stay with mono sources in my opinion. If you want bother, certainly run a set of stereo out from you Voyager then split off a mono into the Flux and merge the two effects side by side as you see fit.

I'm no audio engineer but many stomp boxes tend to accept mono with the rare stereo (usually chorus/flanger/phaser) effect last in the chain.

Similar thinking applies to the MuRF which has stereo-out and alternates each filter band between left and right channels. It's very difficult to discern the built in LFO effect while animation is running.