Is my Ring Mod malfunctioning?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
mhuxtable

Is my Ring Mod malfunctioning?

Post by mhuxtable » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:18 pm

Hey guys...long time lurker. Big Moog fan.

I noticed my Ring Mod making a weird sound...

At low volumes (like at the end of the decay of a note, or just the volume rolled back on the guitar...which is a Moog E1) there is a static like noise coming from the ring mod. It sounds much like what your guitar sounds like when you turn a tube guitar amp off and keep playing (for those of you with tube amps).

Is this just an inherent sound due to the fact that there is no output volume on the Ring Mod (why is that anyway?) it makes this sound whether I'm making ring mod sounds or trem type sounds.

jeepo

Re: Is my Ring Mod malfunctioning?

Post by jeepo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:35 pm

Does the noise decay too soon after? Sometimes when using my ringmod I experience a similar event, where a ringmoddy sound will continue for a short period of time after I stop playing a note.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

mhuxtable

Post by mhuxtable » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:25 pm

I got an answer on another forum....for those who'd like to know:

This is from the Moog website (should've checked I know :oops: )
I have an MF-102 ring modulator. I can hear the carrier frequency in the background. Is this normal?

Yes. Some amount of carrier bleed-through is inevitable in a ring modulator. There is a squelch circuit that minimizes the amount of bleed-through, and squelches the carrier when there is no signal. By feeding the MF-102 as hot a signal as possible (making sure the drive light is in the yellow range), the bleed-through can be made less noticeable.

I have an MF-102 ring modulator. When I play quietly, the notes cut off before they die out completely. Is this normal?

Yes. The MF-102 has a squelch circuit that minimizes the bleed through of the carrier oscillator. As the squelch circuit kicks in, it can audibly effect the decay of the note. This can be minimized by

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:21 pm

It is carrier bleed and normal. Some will be more apparent than others due to the components match. Some ring mods have a VCA to gate the noise at a predetermined level to mask that bleed. I don't know if the Moog one does.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."