Midi MuRF bypass switch causing audible popping

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
pw77

Midi MuRF bypass switch causing audible popping

Post by pw77 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi all,

I brought an MF-105M Midi MuRF almost a week ago now and have been seriously impressed with it. However, the bypass switch produces quite loud pops when engaging/disengaging. My other Moogerfoogers (MF-102 & MF-104Z) don't exhibit this problem. Having searched the forum/web, I found criticism of a few early MuRF's with this problem, but no mention of whether this issue has been resolved... Could someone please reassure me that the popping sound of the bypass switch is normal; or (as I suspect) is there a fault with my Midi MuRF?

Many thanks,

Paul

seank

Re: Midi MuRF bypass switch causing audible popping

Post by seank » Mon May 02, 2011 12:33 pm

I'm having the same issue. None of the other foogers have a problem.

pw77

Post by pw77 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I've been playing around with the order of my foogers and varying the amounts or drive. I've managed to reduce the popping sound to a minimal level but it's still audible. Guess I'll have to live with it for the time being...

Regards,

Paul

bradley103082

Post by bradley103082 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:18 pm

I don't have any of the MuRF pedals, but my 104z pops like how you're describing.
Voyager Old School, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, Etherwave Theremin Whitewash, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 107, CP-251, VX-351

seank

Post by seank » Wed May 04, 2011 12:35 am

anyone else have a super noisy 104z? hissing like crazy. changing power supplies doesn't seem to change anything. it's at the end of my chain. shielding maybe? or is this just a noisy pedal?

pw77

Post by pw77 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:45 am

bradley103082 wrote:I don't have any of the MuRF pedals, but my 104z pops like how you're describing.
I can't say I've noticed the problem on the 104Z, or at least not to the extent of the MuRF...

pw77

Post by pw77 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:53 am

seank wrote:anyone else have a super noisy 104z? hissing like crazy. changing power supplies doesn't seem to change anything. it's at the end of my chain. shielding maybe? or is this just a noisy pedal?
Out of all my foogers, the 104Z is the worst offender in this regard. It's only really evident with low signal levels though...

gordon

Post by gordon » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:03 am

Hi,
I've got the same issue. When I engage the Midi MuRF - no problem, but when I click to disengage, I get a distinct popping sound. Pretty much eliminates the possibility of using this in a live situation...

Anyone figure out the cause or solution?

Thanks,
Gordon.

bradley103082

Post by bradley103082 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Revisiting this topic, I recently bought a midi murf and it definitely pops when disengaging the pedal. With guitar (telecaster->midi murf->hot rod deluxe) its pretty bad. I've had the amp for a few years and its been pretty much a let down quality-wise so that may be a factor in the murf popping being so bad. But even when I use it with the moogs (synth->midi murf->behringer mixer->small monitors) it pops when disengaging perhaps not as noticeably. I think every fooger I have with drive/output level pops when engaging/disengaging, the ring mod and LPF are fine. Are the foogers just that touchy with drive/output levels? How do I fix this problem? Thanks.
Voyager Old School, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, Etherwave Theremin Whitewash, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 107, CP-251, VX-351

dumaisaudio

Post by dumaisaudio » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:18 pm

I wanted to follow up on this topic. I just got a used MIDI MuRF from eBay and when I started playing with it, I had the same problem. I thought something might be wrong with the switch so I checked here and found this thread. Since there were no answers, I called Moog support. The tech I spoke with said this normal operation for this pedal (only this one though). Apparently, it has to do with the envelope and rate of the filters. He explained that it's similar to when working with samples in a DAW, that if you don't edit on the zero point you'll get a pop. So if the envelope isn't at it's zero point you'll get the pop. He explained that it's a very unique pedal and there isn't really anything that does what this pedal does, but it's just one of the quirks about it. One solution he gave is that if you turn down the mix knob before engaging the bypass, you won't hear it. He suggested plugging a expression pedal into the mix input and turning down the mix before bypassing if that was an issue. Hope that helps!

Update: After getting home and playing around, I found that there was still a pop even with the mix/envelope/rate knobs turned to zero. So I'm not sure his explanation holds.