MF-103 Sweep In, Audio Input?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
placidothecat

MF-103 Sweep In, Audio Input?

Post by placidothecat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:08 am

I recently purchased my first Moogerfooger (after lusting after them for, what, 10 years now?) -- the MF-103 phaser. I love it!

So I'm getting interested in the CV and Sweep In jacks. Here's my question -- the manual states that one can run "an audio signal" into the SWEEP IN. So, with the output from an iPod (Moog Filtatron app generating a sawtooth wave sound-- very cool) as the regular audio input to the phaser, I tried plugging my guitar in to the SWEEP IN (yes, I has the 12-stage setting enabled). But nothing really happened when I played -- I thought I could modulate 1/2 the 12 stage SWEEP that way. Then I tried the other way -- my guitar into the Audio Input and some piano music on the iPod as the SWEEP IN (via headphone jack on the iPod) -- again, no changes.

My question: were the guitar and iPod signals not compatible with the SWEEP IN? So, what exactly CAN I use as an audio input for the SWEEP IN?

Thanks
-Phil

soundxplorer

Re: MF-103 Sweep In, Audio Input?

Post by soundxplorer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:58 am

Audio signals are generally much lower in volume as compared to CV signals.
If you plugged your guitar straight into the SWEEP IN (with no preamp or DI box), then that signal was definitely far too weak to have any noticeable effect. As for the iPad's headphone output, I would guess it is too weak as well. Do you have a mixer? If so, try running that iPad signal through your mixer's preamp to boost it up to line-level. Aim for hitting around zero on your mixer's meters. Then send that signal to the SWEEP IN.

Audio can work just fine as a CV source. Here's a demo I made showing audio from a computer interface modulating a Freqbox:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_1Ujvun3iQ

Also at the end of that video is a short clip of the Freqbox being modulated by a voice recording. This is the kind of thing you usually get with more complex sources, like using the mix of an entire song as modulation. The idea sounds intriguing at first, but the real world results usually don't sound as cool as what you would imagine. Simple audio waveforms usually produce more desirable results.
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

placidothecat

Post by placidothecat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks, that's what I suspected. I do not have a proper mixer, but maybe I'll try:

Guitar (or iPod) -> Lexicon MPX 100 Reverb/Multi-Effects -> Sweep In

The MPX 100 has a preamp and output control.

Josef_K

Post by Josef_K » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:49 am

I tried this as well, with my brother playing the guitar through Audio In and me playing my Nord Electro 2 keyboard through the sweep in. We heard some strange modulation in the phaser when I pressed some keys, but it was very very weak. Probably it would be better if I found a way to boost the signal even more. A very interesting function, I wish there was a way for me to use it with my current gear, but I'm afraid I will have to add something to make use of it.
My Gear:
Nord Electro 2
Little Phatty Tribute Edition
Korg Monotron
Epiphone G400
Moogerfooger 12 Stage Phaser
EHX Memorytoy analog delay
Boss SD-1 Overdrive