racking the fooger collection

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
seank

Re: racking the fooger collection

Post by seank » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:52 pm

correct answer! modular system in the planning stages... it's all downhill from here.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:39 pm

What started as a CP-251 and VX-351 on my Voyager has turned into an 88 space MU modular, 9 more Foogers and untold other bits and bobs. 'IT' is still growing.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

ferran

Post by ferran » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:53 am

A simple homemade stand for 4 Moogerfoogers:

https://picasaweb.google.com/kr61ab67/S ... erfoogers#
MOOG gear: Minimoog Voyager, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104z, VX-351.
My music is in http://soundcloud.com/ferran-romagosa

seank

Post by seank » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:34 am

classy! nice work.

backtothelab

Post by backtothelab » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Hey everyone I also have been building a moogerfooger table/rack with a patch bay. I just wanted to get a few things straight here. Im not an expert I am a beginner trying to make a nice easy straight forward clean set up for my moogs. I am using a neutrik patchbay with all trs cables. Ive got the stand all built and pretty now I just got wrap my head around hooking up this patchbay. Ive got MF 101, 102, 104z, 107 cp 251, vx351 and a electric blue voyager. but i will eventually get the others so I figure I should hook them up correctly from the beginning. Here are my 2 questions.

1. these are the jacks that have to be normaled?

MF102: Carrier Out to Carrier In
MF103: LFO Out to Sweep In (not sweep). So in 12-stage mode, the LFO will still modulate the second six stages by default.
MF105M: Right Out to Left Out

2. whats the final word on the 104z inputs, help so a beginner can understand?

Do I use a dummy plug? or solder a 100k resistor between tip to ground? There has been a couple answers for this I would like to do the soldering in the patchbay if thats the best solution I have the same neutrik patchbay as seank. this is what im having the hardest time understanding from reading everyones posts, all the pictures dont work anymore on the thread so its hard to understand what u are saying without the pics to look at.

If theres anything else u think I should know about setting this up let me know. thank you all kindly hopefully I can get this done soon,
Ill post pics once ive got it all set up
Cheers
Evan

fishman77

Post by fishman77 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:42 pm

1. Yes that's what I have normalled on mine. So far from what I can tell everything works pretty much the same. I actually need to still normal the 105M's left and right to see how that works.

2. Sorry, don't have the 104 unfortunately.

Here is a link on Moog's website that actually talks about using the 105 and 108 in a patch bay.
http://moogmusic.com/support/faqs/#moog ... 2%25AE-faq
I built these dummy plugs for my 105 (don't have the 108, yet) and it works pretty well. I wouldn't say it's perfect as I can still tell a little difference than nothing being plugged into the jacks at all. It is definitely acceptable though. As the FAQ says, I just soldered a 100k resister from tip to sleeve and another from tip to ring. They actually have 1% tolerance resisters at Radio Shack if you want to try it out. Right now I just have the dummy plugs plugged into the front of the patch bay, but I'm planning on plugging them into the back of the patch bay into a normalled plug. I still have a few odds and ends to finish on my Fooger case, so let us know how yours is going.
Here's some pics of mine if you're interested:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 843&type=3

Adam
Adam Embree
www.thesolutionmusic.com

backtothelab

Post by backtothelab » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Hey I just noticed that my patchbay doesnt have a normal setting im using the neutrik NYS-SPP-L1 patchbay it comes shipped all half normalled. Im just kind of confused now on what gets what? can someone help me with this part. theres 3 configurations 1. Half normalled 2. isolated 3. split

sorry probably a newb question but ive been searching the forums like crazy now im a little confused. thanks

fishman77

Post by fishman77 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:49 pm

My patchbays are also half-normalled and switchable to pass-thru and it works great. The difference is (someone correct me if I'm wrong) on full-normalled, plugging a cable into the front top or bottom breaks the normalled connection. On half-normalled, plugging into the bottom breaks the connection, but plugging into the top just splits off that connection. On mine I can just turn the module over and it becomes pass-thru with no normalling at all. I used that for most everything except the handful of connections that required normalling.
Adam
http://www.thesolutionmusic.com
Adam Embree
www.thesolutionmusic.com

backtothelab

Post by backtothelab » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi I have a neutrik NYS-SPP-L1 patchbay and mf101,102,104z,107, I also plan on getting 103, 105m

the 3 options on my patchbay are

1.Half normalled
2.isolated
3.split

which of these 3 settings or combination of these settings should I use for these foogers? Please someone? I want to do this right from the beginning Im measuring twice cutting once. Thanks for your time

fishman77

Post by fishman77 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:36 pm

Just looked at your patch bay. You'll be using a combination of Isolated and Half-Normalled.
Half-normalled on the handful of stuff that has to be normalled and isolated on everything else.

Adam
http://www.thesolutionmusic.com
Adam Embree
www.thesolutionmusic.com

backtothelab

Post by backtothelab » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:41 pm

thank you, all hail fishman77

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:01 pm

This is a pic of the sequencing end of my modular setup. Foggers play a role (MuRF acts as a VCA in addition to providing filter array functions). At present the Foogers defy gravity; (and before anybody asks, that horizontally mounted module that looks out of place is a STG Soundlabs Time Buffer which converts Sync24 into pulses for polyrhythmic goodness of the Trigger Store and Volt Store modules.

In this case it's just some rack rails that I picked up at B+H online that I attached to an Odyssey rack. The center Fooger (RIng Mod w/Whitewash cheeks) is affixed with Velcro and the left and right Fooger have the cheeks removed that way I can swap others in/out. Nothing special but I'm very happy to have it.
IMG_2506.jpeg
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

backtothelab

Post by backtothelab » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:36 pm

do the 104z rate, feedback and mix need to be half normalled?

Can someone send a pic or explain what is the best way to normal from the tip to ground through a 100k resistor? do I solder this from tip to sleeve on the patchbay insert?
or from tip to sleeve on a patchcable?

Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:05 pm

My advice to "seank" applies here. You may want to read through the manual or look at the product webpage. I don't have the specific patchbay that you do, so I can't help unless you want to buy me a plane ticket.

You would not believe how many PMs I have had for this, but I wish you all the best.

backtothelab

Post by backtothelab » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Hey everyone Im in need of some help Im trying to incorporate my MFs into a patchbay
I have a Neutrik NYS SPP L patchbay. I have MF 101, 102, 104z, 107, cp 251, vx 351. I would pretty please like a list of "everything" that needs to be half normalled (which is also normalled) on the patchbay.

Ive been getting little short answers is what is confusing me the most.

Also Can some explain to me exactly where I have to solder the 100k resistor on my patchbay pcb here is a picture of it, Im assuming that I solder between the Tip and sleeve on the grey and black jacks side? or do I solder every jack? can someone tell me the forsure way to do this, before I mess up my patchbay.

Thanks in advance for the help