racking the fooger collection

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
latigid on

Re: racking the fooger collection

Post by latigid on » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:00 am

Righto

It's a bit tricky without the gear in front of me, but try this:

Use the half-normalled config with the grey socket in the front

Rear B should go to the correct CV input of the MF104 (TRS cable)
Rear A should go to the 100k dummy load (1/4" plug (MUST BE TRS, RING IS NOT CONNECTED), resistor tip to sleeve)

Plug your CV into Front B (grey)

Presumably this will disconnect the dummy load and "insert" your CV or Exp pedal.

Please try it and see if it works!

willi

Post by willi » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:54 am

What happened to the Drive and Level pots on that delay?
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104z, & MF-105
http://www.earth2willi.com

seank

Post by seank » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:50 pm

oooooh. i get it now. thank you so much! that was a revelation.

so if i use a 90 degree trs plug with a 100k resistor from tip to sleeve, i don't actually need a cable connected to that plug right? it's just the plug? that makes sense to me.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:28 pm

willi, heh, yeah I was trying a few things. The input levels work a bit strangely IMO and I was seeing if I could make things a bit better. I couldn't find a better solution for the moment so they'll probably go back in unchanged.

seank, you've got it. I hope it works for you and you have enough patch points! POIDH ;)

seank

Post by seank » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:44 am

Now I'm paranoid that I won't have enough patch points. There are 52 connections total, 10 are used to chain the pedals together leaving 42 going to the patchbay. If I did want to modify the patchbay with the resistor like you were saying (it was the patchbay and not the pedal itself, right?) to save a patch point how would I go about doing that?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:23 am

Yes, you would be modding the patchbay, not the 'fooger.

Above is how you would wire a socket. In an off-the-shelf PB the situation will probably be more complex than this, as there are additional traces on the PCB so it "knows" what you plug in and which configuration you need.

The operation is pretty simple: pins 1, 2 and 3 represent the normally closed switch contacts. 6, 5 and 4 are the T, R, S contacts, respectively. When no plug is inserted, the switches are closed and the signals flow to/from pin 1<>6, 2<>5 and 3<>4. When a plug is inserted, the signals instead flow to/from pins 6, 5 and 4 to the T R S plug and are disconnected from 1, 2 and 3.

So for the 104, an expression signal is represented by

6: CV/"resistance" (input)
5: +5 VDC output (supply)
4: ground

And to "normal" your connection, you need to send the signal hitting pin 6 through a 100k resistor to ground, ONLY IF there is no plug inserted. No plug means pin 6 is connected to pin 1.

So connect pins 1 and 4 with a resistor, the input will be clamped to ground when you need it. Insert a patch cable and the resistor is out of circuit.

seank

Post by seank » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:16 am

your spear of wisdom has pierced my brain. and I thank you for this.

i'll let you know what the patchbay circuit looks like. should be a flawless victory.

seank

Post by seank » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:22 am

custom rack case in the house.

wiring everything up over the weekend. huge order from redco coming on tomorrow!

oh yeah, that empty space on top... it's for a slim phatty.

and on the floor... an mp-201. life is good.

acatcalledanarchy

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:51 am

Wow!

I want one... Where did you get your flight case made and to what specifications..? Let me know how you get on with your wiring / soldering shenanigans.

Peace, love and flowers...
A Cat Called Anarchy

Voyager Select Series Whitewash Electric Blue, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur

seank

Post by seank » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:46 pm

a&s case company in north hollywood. i could get you specs if you need. could be a bit smaller, but i wanted room for the power supply.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Nice looking case ( I just couldn't bring myself to say Nice Looking Rack). Thanks for posting the photo. A Sp will top it all off nicely.

Slabwax

seank

Post by seank » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:10 am

here's what the pcb from the patchbay looks like. not sure how to get the 100k resistor to do its job.

also, i should be running most of the cv stuff in the "isolated" configuration, right?

the murf is acting weird. it's like the mix is all the way down when it's plugged into the patchbay. might need the resistor on these inputs as well?

also, the freqbox is giving me some strange noise like it's being modulated by something. the wave seems to jump randomly.

i need to step away for a moment, i've been piecing this together and soldering for 2 days straight.

acatcalledanarchy

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:58 am

Hi SeanK

Sent you a Private Message - good luck with the rest of your soldering shenanigans.

Peace...
A Cat Called Anarchy

Voyager Select Series Whitewash Electric Blue, Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi Sean, let's keep it public so others may learn from your troubles ( ?)
seank wrote:here's what the pcb from the patchbay looks like. not sure how to get the 100k resistor to do its job.
Perhaps upload a close up photo and it might be a bit clearer. It looks like some sockets are non-switched. You'd need to use a switched one for this to work.
seank wrote:also, i should be running most of the cv stuff in the "isolated" configuration, right?
Sounds good.
seank wrote:the murf is acting weird. it's like the mix is all the way down when it's plugged into the patchbay. might need the resistor on these inputs as well?
First off, check your soldering, you may have a short somewhere. When you use an expression pedal on any of these CV inputs, the knob must be turned to halfway. I've used a patchbay with my MuRFs; no problem from memory.
seank wrote:also, the freqbox is giving me some strange noise like it's being modulated by something. the wave seems to jump randomly.
Try powering from a separate wall wart and see if the issue remains.
seank wrote:i need to step away for a moment, i've been piecing this together and soldering for 2 days straight.
That's usually a good idea. :)

P.S. case looks really good so far, I hope everything works out properly in the end.

seank

Post by seank » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:31 pm

just in case you can't make it out: in the top photo, the grey jack is on the top left.

i'll post schematics/dimensions for the case when i'm all done with everything.