racking the fooger collection

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
seank

Re: racking the fooger collection

Post by seank » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:48 pm

okay, just tried a resistor from tip to sleeve on a dummy plug and plugged it into the "mix" of the delay on the patchbay and it did not work. when i plug in my expression pedal, it works perfectly. i'm going to try a jumper wire instead.

thanks again for all of your help!

seank

Post by seank » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:47 am

got it! just started touching resistors to the tip, ring, and sleeve contacts on the patchbay pcb's and figured it out. so nice to have everything wired up and fired up. making a nice colored, laminated label that goes over the front of the patch panel right now.

next on the list: slim phatty up top.

electronicpoison

Post by electronicpoison » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:23 pm

I made holes in the wooden ends and screw them together

seank

Post by seank » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:26 pm

here's a little preview. i'm going to post the template, case dimensions, glamour shots and other stuff once the slim phatty is in there and wired up.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Mon May 02, 2011 9:35 pm

seank

That patch bay overlay looks great. NICE JOB Please do post the templet.

noSpoonMusic

Post by noSpoonMusic » Tue May 03, 2011 4:16 pm

yeah, 2nd that on the template. I've started to build something very similar. I've tested all my pedals, I just want to make sure I put the right resistors in. I'm going to try and build the patch bay from scratch, which may make adding these things a little less complicated.

seank

Post by seank » Tue May 03, 2011 8:33 pm

okay, here's the template. so:
print to exact size (19" wide) then laminate. note: this is sized for a neutrik trs patchbay.
trim the plastic edges.
use a grommet hole punch to make all of the holes.
use photo mounting tape on the laminated template.
carefully adhere to the patchbay faceplate.

http://imageshack.us/f/710/patchpanelcolormultiple.jpg

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Tue May 03, 2011 9:06 pm

seank

Thanks for the link

seank

Post by seank » Wed May 04, 2011 12:32 am

posting this here so everyone can benefit (pm from noSpoonMusic):

"Ive been following your rack case build. Well done. I had been toying around with different ways of doing this for a while and you took a great approach. How heavy is it? Also, can you tell me which connections you added resistors to? And what kind of resistor? I've gone through and tested all my foogers.

When I connect the Osc out to Osc in on the Ring Mod, the sound gets a little brighter than without patching. Any cure there?

The MidiMurf gives me slightly offset sounds when I patch into the rate, mix, envelope, and lfo/sweep. Im assuming these all need some kind of resistor. The amount of offset is slightly different on each, would using different resistors help this problem?

I also get a change in value when I patch the env amount on the Freq Box and the sweep in on the Phaser.

How did you address these issues. . .if you even had them at all.

Thanks"

so first off thank you. it was a lot of work.

the case is pretty heavy. i wish i would have sprung for the flyweight (expensive but super light material used instead of plywood). seriously, it's totally worth it. a&s case company in north hollywood has all of these dimensions on file so they could easily make you one. mine was $450, but it would be a good deal more for the flyweight.

so yeah, a few things need to be normalled, ring mod carrier out to carrier in is one of them.

almost all of the murf and delay inputs (delay loop out to loop in just needs to be normalled) needed resistors. i can't remember which inputs or the values of the resistors. honestly, i was just touching them to the contacts until i got it right. the murf knobs are different when it's patched to the patchbay or when an expression pedal is used. it assumes that 12 o'clock is zero. it's strange, but not really a bad thing. latigid has a thread that explains a lot of this stuff in greater detail. a lot of that info has been included in my thread.

a voodoo lab pedal power 2 plus will take care of everything. all pedals need the white barrel positive center cables, the freqbox needs a current doubler (y-cable adapter) and the murf and delay need to be plugged into the higher current outputs (5 and 6). the slim phatty will take the standard 120v outlet. it's pretty much perfect. one power plug to the wall and you're done! you'll need some l brackets to mount the box to the back of the moogerfooger rackmount kit.

making 52 trs cables is not fun. you'll need about 150' of mogami w2549 balanced mic cable, 52 stright jacks, 48 right angle jacks, and a cable tester. also, netflix and snacks.

slim phatty next week, then i'm totally ready for synth sleepovers.

noSpoonMusic

Post by noSpoonMusic » Tue May 10, 2011 4:52 pm

instead of using different resistors for each connection (that requires one) could I use a trim pot?

seank

Post by seank » Mon May 23, 2011 8:45 pm

ok, does anyone know how to use a gate input with a patchbay? i'm connecting the slim phatty but it just leaves the gate open as if a dummy plug were inserted. if i add a resistor, it closes the gate, but also blocks other signals from opening it back up. does that make sense?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon May 23, 2011 9:02 pm

Should use a straight normalled socket, no resistor.

hth

seank

Post by seank » Mon May 23, 2011 9:11 pm

thanks again, latigid!

seank

Post by seank » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:34 pm

the only problem now is... where do i put the cluster flux?

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:50 pm

seank wrote:the only problem now is... where do i put the cluster flux?
Start cabinet number 2!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.