I'm getting an unwanted crackle

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
PatStyles

I'm getting an unwanted crackle

Post by PatStyles » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:40 am

So I'm trying to use the MF-101 with the CP-251 to randomly set filter cutoff values at a regular time frequency.

On the CP-251, I plug the Out1 from the Sample and Hold to the In of an attenuator. Then I plug the Out from the attenuator to the cutoff control input of the MF-101.

I plug a guitar to the audio input of the MF-101 and the amp to the audio output.

What I expect is for the sample and hold to grab a value from the noise generator and pass it through the attenuator to the control of the filter cutoff. I use the LFO on the CP-251 to set the frequency of the samples.

This all works as expected, except that I hear a distinct crackle sound every time the cutoff is changed.

Would anyone of you experts have any idea why I am getting this distortion? It's very noticable and is ruining what seems to be a patch with some real potenial.

thanks,
.pat

Jebus0000

Post by Jebus0000 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:42 pm

Try sending the CV through the Lag section as well. Turn the Rise knob up slightly and you should get rid of the clicking(if this is the problem I think it is) The cutoff frequency is changing so fast that there is an audible click whenever it changes. The Lag feature will slow the change or round it off a little to get rid of the click.

PatStyles

Post by PatStyles » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:06 pm

Thanks! It worked great. Just running the signal through the lag circuit was enough to reduce the crackle. Twisting the knob eleminated the problem altogether.

.p