ordered a freqbox , do i also need a ring mod??

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
wetpenny

ordered a freqbox , do i also need a ring mod??

Post by wetpenny » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:28 pm

hello again ppl

just ordered myself a freqbox to sit alongside MF101/MF103/CP251
now im thinking of the ring mod.. i play bass mainly funk/dnb... now aside from the octave doubling and the cool talking bass effect (i believe you can also acieve "rich harmonic distortion" .....??), im not 100% sure if the ring mod will be of "that" much use to me... G.A.S is a powerful entity though!!!
what do you fine moogists think??

thanks for any thought/comments in advance

slabwax

Re: ordered a freqbox , do i also need a ring mod??

Post by slabwax » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:46 pm

I'll keep it simple, yes you need a 102. The ring mod is in my top six of Moogers.

Dean

JimF

Post by JimF » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi,

I'm using what will be exactly your setup, if you get RM as well as FreqB. Highly recommended: does wonderful things for a shakuhachi, a theremin and a Rhodes (the instruments that I put through this stuff):

FreqBox -> RM -> VCF -> Phaser, all controlled by CP251 and a few other voltage sources (including theremin).

Usually you'll want either the FreqB or RM bypassed - both active at once tends to be a bit too much...

Note that the FreqB unfolds its true possibilities ("2-operator" FM sounds, analogue domain) if you can give it a Pitch CV that tracks whatever your input signal is - that way you can get predictable FM/metallic sounds in addition to exotic distortion.

Have fun!

JimF

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:21 am

OF COURSE you need a RingMod!!

Silly rabbit. Its the best MoogerFooger... well except for the Delay.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:37 am

I recorded a demo of the talkbass patch. I don't remember who I did that for, but I can send that to you if you pm me with your email if you are curious as to what it sounds like.

Im a bass player as well, but I don't run my bass through the ringmod. It will do some interesting things, if that is the effect you are looking for.

However, for synths, I regularly run it through the ringmod because it gets otherworldly tones. I use it when i want to accent notes or arpeggios like a guitarist would use feedback.

What I like to do a lot of times is keep them active, but with the mix to zero, and then tweak the mix knob as needed to bring in a "voice"

For instance, you can send some modulation to the frequency of the freqbox like sample and hold or a lagged LFO, and with a theremin or another instrument running through the audio, tweak the mix to hear the freqbox modulated. I developed tricks like this when I was working on multitrackers with limited tracks to get more sound in less space. I like to use the theremin (EW Plus) with the freqbox in the audio chain, and then as I increase the volume, I patch an attenuated volume voltage to the mix to have control of when I want to hear the freqbox's modulated "voice". It allows for more textures in this way.

Novamusik sells them for around 225. Don't buy from anywhere else.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

wetpenny

Post by wetpenny » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:49 am

thanks for all your comments fellas, much appreciated as ever ;)
i suppose i just needed confirming what i already knew deep down : i DO need the ring mod :mrgreen:

EricK : it was me that you sent the "talking bass" audio to a while ago ;) (thanks again)
(great video with the bassballs/freqbox too!!)

cheers!!!!

wetpenny

Post by wetpenny » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:55 am

EricK wrote:

Novamusik sells them for around 225. Don't buy from anywhere else.
U.K `fooger prices seem to have mysteriously gone up in the last week!!!
Digital village had the ring mod for £185 last week , now its £219!!!
The freq was £239 2 weeks ago and is now £279!!!