Processing Computer Audio with MuRF

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Xenollop

Processing Computer Audio with MuRF

Post by Xenollop » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:45 am

I wasn't quite sure what to search for in relation to my query...so excuse any redundancies!

What is the best way to effect a software synth with the MuRF?
In this case lets say Ableton Live and an Mbox 2 Pro...Would I be right in saying coming out of one the mono outputs, into the "Audio In" on the MuRF, then Audio Out into the input of the M-Box 2 Pro?
Anyone else do this?

I used to have a crappy Radioshack-sold keyboard that sounded decent put through the MuRF but I couldn't justify it's girth for my small studio. While I love the Phatty through it, Polyphony sounds way better for some things...

THANKS!
Little Phatty Tribute #525, MF-102, MF-105, APC40, LPD8, Ibanez SR3000E Bass

cliffman

Re: Processing Computer Audio with MuRF

Post by cliffman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:05 pm

Sure, that's the way to do it. It's a little hard with just a stereo interface.
If you read the Live manual, i believe they have an insert effect that will manage this external in/out for you.

Xenollop

Post by Xenollop » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Yep sure enough I found that External Effect riff raff...it sounded terrible and it's been seeming lately that my MuRF is giving off a low signal...but on the right track at least...maybe I'll try it with the 102

deepervibes

Post by deepervibes » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:16 am

i think the best solution is to have a soundcard with a decent software mixer and a kind of matrix wihch allows you to route the signal independently from the DAW. I'm an ableton live user since v3, and at first i was really pleased about the external instruments thing they introduced with v7 but i find it to be a bit sloppy, the audio coming out from it is never really in sync with the rest, even after messing a lot with the latency delay... i have an RME Multiface II with 8 I/O and a really nice mixer/matrix which allows me to send the signal out and route it back in, with direct monitoring i don't need to care about the latency, since what comes in the inputs can be directly routed to one or more of the outputs without having it to go thru the DAW.
By doing this I can monitor latency free and still be able to record, in this case, the output of the moogerfooger in live.

Xenollop

Post by Xenollop » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:48 am

Yeah that sounds like a better setup, I get so PO'd by software sometimes...it's like, I love software by itself, and love hardware by itself, but occasionally when trying to use the two together feel like hitting everything with a hammer...I'm considering getting the Midi MuRF though, as I bought the original MuRF right before the Bass MuRF came out...which really aggravated me being a bass player and gravitating toward low end anyway...plus the added Midi sounds like a dream.
thanks!