Would love a Eurorack version of CP-251

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
edmang

Would love a Eurorack version of CP-251

Post by edmang » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:27 pm

With the Moog Eurorack synths, would love a Eurorack compatible version of CP-251. In fact would love all the Moogerfoogers to come back in Eurorack format.

Hopefully this is something Moog will consider. They could be called Motherfoogers :D

kn_s

Re: Would love a Eurorack version of CP-251

Post by kn_s » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:27 pm

i second this 10x over!! however they can't be priced anywhere near what the current rate for the moogerfoogers are going for!!!!!..... and to stay mildly competitive they should be priced cheaper than the original foogers were esp. since the footprint is/ would be hopefully smaller. with my little hp ruler (not including wood cheeks) the foogers are about 26hp which is pretty huge per function??? i will say am lucky to have been able to afford one of each of them prior to them being discontinued and shouldn't complain too much, but i wouldn't mind a smaller updated version. or as stated somewhere on here before (or maybe only in my head?) maybe a "m32/dfam/subharm" 60hp? width combo of all of them in one single unit??? i'd def pick that up!!
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:08 pm

Why wouldn’t you the same components and make your own ?
I thought that was the whole point of eurorack.

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:59 pm

Acid Mitch wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:08 pm Why wouldn’t you the same components and make your own ?
I thought that was the whole point of eurorack.
not sure if you were refering to my comment? if so, for me it boils down to time. i'd rather just pay to have it professionally done. i don't have the time/enough time to figure out how to solder proficiently enough to build that many modules. yes, i wish & would love it if i did know how and could whip stuff out, but alas i am only a failed art school sculpture graduate that became a plumber and only has time to rock out on my synth stuff "weekend warrior" style. however, i can solder copper pipes and pack lead joints! doesn't really apply for electronics though? :(
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:07 am

kn_s wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:59 pm

not sure if you were refering to my comment?
The comment was for edmang or anyone else wanting a eurorack cp251 instead of building one from modules already available.

kn_s wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:59 pm
if so, for me it boils down to time. i'd rather just pay to have it professionally done. i don't have the time/enough time to figure out how to solder proficiently enough to build that many modules
You don’t have to be able to solder to put together a eurorack system. If you buy case with power + Mixer, lfo, mult, attenuators , sample and hold, noise source and slew modules then you have everything the cp251 has. You could order it pre built if you don’t want to put the modules into the case and there are shops that if you asked them “ I want a cp251 equivalent in eurorack” they’ll even pick the modules for you.
There are also custom builders where you tell them what you want and they make it, so you could have a different form factor or whatever but that tends to be more expensive.

There is nothing particularly special about the cp251 that you can’t get from euro rack equivalents . It’s real strength is that it gives those functions for use with Voyager, moogerfoogers, ,etc without having to get into Euro rack.

Also, you can buy a eurorack equivalent now. Everything you need is currently in production and available in stores.

edmang

Post by edmang » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:40 pm

[/quote]

You don’t have to be able to solder to put together a eurorack system. If you buy case with power + Mixer, lfo, mult, attenuators , sample and hold, noise source and slew modules then you have everything the cp251 has. You could order it pre built if you don’t want to put the modules into the case and there are shops that if you asked them “ I want a cp251 equivalent in eurorack” they’ll even pick the modules for you.
There are also custom builders where you tell them what you want and they make it, so you could have a different form factor or whatever but that tends to be more expensive.

There is nothing particularly special about the cp251 that you can’t get from euro rack equivalents . It’s real strength is that it gives those functions for use with Voyager, moogerfoogers, ,etc without having to get into Euro rack.

Also, you can buy a eurorack equivalent now. Everything you need is currently in production and available in stores.
[/quote]

Did not think of that possibility. Will have to look into it.

Thanks

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:29 pm

i'm going to double back here (i think?) and i'll state that i already have the cp-251 and yes i understand i could pick up separate prebuilt modules to substitute its functionality in my euro system.... and true they probably would have more power than the current functions of the orig cp251, but i'm simply saying i'd like to get a euro version of moog's take hopefully with updated possibilities?

additionally is anyone currently using their cp251 with their eurorack systems? I've barely tried and when i have it's been...eh maybe i still am doing something wrong but admittedly i get confused quickly (i think it might be all the pvc glue and primer fumes from my day job as a plumber??) i know i had the noise and lfo making things work at one point

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:11 am

FWIW, the CP251's +/- 5.6VDC range limits the usefulness of it with euroracks nominal +/- 8 to 10VDC CV range.

For what is basically only a CV utility, this leaves quite a bit to be desired not being able to express the entire CV range of outputs, or clipping out of range inputs.

However, there are Moog-clone eurorack modules it would go with quite nicely; Behringer's System 55 modules have a +/- 5VDC CV range (plus a bit more on the Behr 960 and CP35's fixed CV outputs), plus Moog's own SubH, DFAM, and M32 interoperate very well.

I've been considering racking up all my Moogerfooger's, but it's a lot of work to do all 15 mf's. I would rather play. :0)

CP251 is a very low parts count module. Wicked simple. But it takes Math's, Links and a CP3A-M (for instance) to recreate the functions it in ER.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:38 pm

MRNUTTY wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:11 am FWIW, the CP251's +/- 5.6VDC range limits the usefulness of it with euroracks nominal +/- 8 to 10VDC CV range.

For what is basically only a CV utility, this leaves quite a bit to be desired not being able to express the entire CV range of outputs, or clipping out of range inputs.

However, there are Moog-clone eurorack modules it would go with quite nicely; Behringer's System 55 modules have a +/- 5VDC CV range (plus a bit more on the Behr 960 and CP35's fixed CV outputs), plus Moog's own SubH, DFAM, and M32 interoperate very well.

I've been considering racking up all my Moogerfooger's, but it's a lot of work to do all 15 mf's. I would rather play. :0)

CP251 is a very low parts count module. Wicked simple. But it takes Math's, Links and a CP3A-M (for instance) to recreate the functions it in ER.
i hear you! and also figured that the volt output was part of the issue. i know "b" has lots of stuff now for euro and although useful and affordable, i have sworn off purchasing anymore of their stuff "except maybe" that 606 redo looks interesting and also affordable....
anywhos... i just am trying to use what i have/ get the most out of it without jumping too deep in to GAS-land because there are so many more modules to buy!!!!!!!!!!

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:01 pm

kn_s wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:38 pm i hear you! and also figured that the volt output was part of the issue. i know "b" has lots of stuff now for euro and although useful and affordable, i have sworn off purchasing anymore of their stuff "except maybe" that 606 redo looks interesting and also affordable....
anywhos... i just am trying to use what i have/ get the most out of it without jumping too deep in to GAS-land because there are so many more modules to buy!!!!!!!!!!
I don't blame you. The Behringer stuff has issues for folks with critical standards of excellence - like me! But I find I can ameliorate most of the issues with parts replacements; pots, caps, extra parts.

Also, the Norlin schematics are close enough to be able to handle many types of modifications before they diverge from what B implemented. 921B and 921 have the most changes from Norlins schematics.

System 55's module complement, design style, and 'east coast' functionality always made the most sense to me. So, I couldn't resist a small form factor version to fit a huge System 55-like rig into the corner of my bedroom. :0)
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;

djwillderness

Post by djwillderness » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:36 am

I also want a eurorack cp 251 and eurorack moogerfoogers. Perfect complements to the mother range. Also used cp 251s are too expensive now.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:04 am

Not sure what the OP is asking. I have always used all my (full set of) moogerfoogers and moogs and eurorack together …the only thing you need is either 1/4" to 3.5 mm cables or an adapter module that lets you plug in one format and output the other… I use both these options all the time, with e.g. 4ms 'listen' module and some passive custom adapters a buddy made… Hosa sells the cables in different lengths

I have a CP-251 specific question here:

Can we use the mult on the CP-251 to output a single audio source to multiple destinations? I generally take an output signal from one of my patchbays out of the DAW to reprocess them but I wonder if we can use a mult for the same purpose without relying on the DAW?
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:29 am

misterpete wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:04 amI have a CP-251 specific question here:

Can we use the mult on the CP-251 to output a single audio source to multiple destinations? I generally take an output signal from one of my patchbays out of the DAW to reprocess them but I wonder if we can use a mult for the same purpose without relying on the DAW?
a mult is a simple multi-drop-single-conductor bus. they are all the same - except a buffered mult, which isn't really necessary except for corner cases, and bad designs. lol

so, yes. you can use the mult on a CP251 to branch an audio signal. audio signals should not make a difference in this case.