1.6 update ?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Otto Dix

1.6 update ?

Post by Otto Dix » Wed May 03, 2023 3:14 pm

1.5 landed almost one year ago. It made the One solid and definitive.

But users requests is such a big list that we are still expecting the One to be the best instrument it could be.

Maybe we have been waiting for such a long time to get 1.5. Either :
- we unconsciously expect to wait a looong time again for next update
- we unconsciously understand that there will be no more updates
- or we just cross fingers Moog is actively working on next step

I still expect, the once promised, Poly AT (hello Quantum Poly AT update, hello Iridium Poly AT update...)
Last edited by Otto Dix on Thu May 25, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memorymoog, Moog One 16, Voyager RME, Sub 37, DFAM, Minitaur, Moogerfoogers, Expressive E Osmose

till

Re: 1.6 update ?

Post by till » Thu May 04, 2023 5:01 am

Otto Dix wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:14 pm ... I still expect, the once promised, Poly AT (hello Quantum Poly AT update, hello Iridium Poly AT update...)
The Quantum Poly AT was a new hardware revision. Not a firmware update. The Iridium keyboard was sold with a Poly AT keybed from the release on.

Adding a Poly AT keybed on the One wouldn't be a firmware update. It would be a Mark II version of the One.
But adding Poly AT receiving via MIDI is a firmware update, if it isn't yet implemented.

I don't think there will be an update, unless there will be a new hardware revision needing a slightly changed firmware.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu May 04, 2023 7:21 pm

Have to agree with Till, I don't think will see anymore firmware updates, what's the incentive? I'd be shocked if anyone was working on new firmware. Now if folks were willing to pay for features that can enhance the One on it's existing hardware, that maybe something Moog may want to considers.
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

rtcstudio

Post by rtcstudio » Thu May 04, 2023 8:38 pm

The incentive is to fix the midi stuff that is not working that is pretty basic stuff on any other synth out there. Like midi Expression/volume send/receive. Plus fixing the bugs folks here and elsewhere have pointed out.

Not gonna stop me from having a great time with it. But I can’t imagine there wouldn’t at least be a Firmware 1.5.2 coming, to clean this stuff up.

I’m not even asking for new features. Just clean up the existing ones that need it.

Otto Dix

Post by Otto Dix » Thu May 04, 2023 9:11 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbfSxOq ... as&index=4

From 45.54 Amos explains, despite Moog One mono channel aftertouch keyboard , that "They do fully intend to support Poly Aftertouch over Midi ".

In this YouTube "Moog One: Deep Dive - Part 2" live from Moog Factory, Amos is presenting the Moog One multiple features. I have eagerly waited for this detailed presentation. Watching it again, remembers me the emotion I felt while discovering M1 tremendous possibilities and ergonomics. I am pretty sure a lot of people here were there that same moment and shared the same excitement.

Back to " support Poly Aftertouch over Midi ", that's exactly what I am looking for to control Moog One from my Expressive E, Osmose.

Be it a software update or a new hardware version, quoting Nick Bates, "Moog One screams for poly aftertouch".
Last edited by Otto Dix on Thu May 25, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memorymoog, Moog One 16, Voyager RME, Sub 37, DFAM, Minitaur, Moogerfoogers, Expressive E Osmose

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu May 04, 2023 10:27 pm

rtcstudio wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:38 pm The incentive is to fix the midi stuff that is not working that is pretty basic stuff on any other synth out there. Like midi Expression/volume send/receive. Plus fixing the bugs folks here and elsewhere have pointed out.

Not gonna stop me from having a great time with it. But I can’t imagine there wouldn’t at least be a Firmware 1.5.2 coming, to clean this stuff up.

I’m not even asking for new features. Just clean up the existing ones that need it.
Hope this happens as well, but I kinda lost hope, well see.
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

till

Post by till » Fri May 05, 2023 9:06 am

Otto Dix wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:11 pm...
Back to " support Poly Aftertouch over Midi ", that's exactly what I am looking for to control Moog One from my Expressive E, Osmose.

Be it a software update or a new hardware version, quoting Nick Bates, "Moog One screams for poly aftertouch".
Just receiving poly aftertouch via DIN or USB MIDI is no rocket science and was done by synth manufactures in the last 30 years. Even the original Waldorf microWave had this.

But again, I have the feeling the Update of the One with this feature might never come. We had some other Moog synth with never 100% finished firmware. Like the Moog Taurus and the MP-201.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Pencilcase

Post by Pencilcase » Wed May 24, 2023 3:53 pm

The One still has sync problems with notes sent via midi messages from Cubase. Notes stick / freezes, and when exporting live it's annoying to have to pray that doesn't happen, when one of the One's big selling points was its integration with current studios. So, if they don't fix that, which is one of the most annoying bugs for people who work in the studio with a lot of other synths, I'll be pretty upset.

Otto Dix

Post by Otto Dix » Wed May 24, 2023 5:56 pm

till wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:06 am Just receiving poly aftertouch via DIN or USB MIDI is no rocket science and was done by synth manufactures in the last 30 years. Even the original Waldorf microWave had this.

Yes, Poly Aftertouch MIDI transmission is available since a long time, I owned Ensoniq VFX and TS-10 back in the days. That's why the promise for this feature has to be kept.

Why is it so important ? You'll know when you try it, you will never want to go back.

It makes hardware or software synths bloom as expressive as an acoustic instrument. We are now seeing more and more PolyAT controllers, Push 3 would be the latest.

This is the future.

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:28 pm

It's the first question I ask about a polysynth, and is the reason I have held off for what, 5 years now on getting a Moog One? The fact that it took over 2 years for 1.5 to come out as well as the recent business developments puts the One into the category of "what might have been..." The people who bought out Moog are the same who were involved in Numark's acquisition of Alesis, and one of the first things that happened was the dismissal of the Andromeda development team. I fear the One will suffer a similar fate.