Is the Moog One able to create sounds that Xfer Serum can’t?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
mirth

Is the Moog One able to create sounds that Xfer Serum can’t?

Post by mirth » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:12 pm

I was wondering if it is possible to create sounds with the Moog One, that I would not be able to create with Xfer Serum or kiloHearts PhasePlant.

Phil_M

Re: Is the Moog One able to create sounds that Xfer Serum can’t?

Post by Phil_M » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:40 pm

I was say that one is a yes.

yvawoo

Post by yvawoo » Tue May 02, 2023 11:30 am

Moog one is Moog one. Digital synth or VSTs may mimic sounds that sounds like analog synth. But, cannot reproduce the nuance of it. It is like piano VSTs cannot replace acoustic grand pianos no matter how much they try. Digital synth has its merits. But, becoming analog synth is not one of them. My opinion, after playing so many VSTs and analog synths for so many years.

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:16 pm

Late to the party but - hell yeah, definitely!
It's of course also the other way round, but now that I own probably all (?) serious analog synths made since 2005 plus a few vintage ones AND I have my SSDs full with hundreds if not thousands of VSTi's: There are no VSTi's that claim to reproduce analog sounds that I would actually use. Why would I?

Regarding the Moog ONE, it is much harder to embed it in a sequenced DAW setup than one might think, since it is not really time stable. So it is not the #1 go-to synth when it comes to fast arps or tight basses. But sound design? Gimme a break! The Moog ONE is a pandora's box for sound design, and Serum is just another VA with a mod matrix that is huge, but not interconnected as much as real electric circuits. It doesn't breathe, it doesn't live.

Don't get me wrong. I'm super happy to have virtual instruments. Samplers, additive synths, FM synths, KORG and Roland romplers, even emulations of old analog machines that are impossible to get in acceptable shape. But for replacing a Moog ONE there is no VSTi. Same is true for all newer analog synths, like OB-X8, SE Omega-8, Moog Voyager, Pro-3, Prophet-10, Subsequent-37, Matrix Brute etc.

Can you hear real hardware in the final recording? I think so. Can you feel it during recording? Definitely! It's simply no fun and inspiration in VSTi VAs. Beating dead horses.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:41 am

Yes
Every synth has its strenghts and its limitations

golden beers

Post by golden beers » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:53 pm

I'd like to see Serum try to make anything like these patches https://youtu.be/Z3TLCb6hlw0?si=0l4Lu7VJq7HaATl1

thomasfrank

Post by thomasfrank » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:38 am

It is completely possible to create sounds with the Moog One that you wouldn't be able to achieve with Xfer Serum or kiloHearts PhasePlant because of its unique combination of powerful analog circuitry,Buckshot Roulette semi-modular architecture, and distinct sonic character.

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:46 pm

VSTi's that emulate analog gear are simply boring. The Moog One is the opposite of being boring :)
Do you need it? Nobody can tell. Will you love it? Most probably yes.