Fan Noise + Other quirks?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
aqua2374

Fan Noise + Other quirks?

Post by aqua2374 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:19 am

Hi guys,

I'm extremely interested in a Moog One, however, I've heard rumors that the 16 voice version produces a lot more "fan noise" than the 8-voice counterpart.

I understand you can change the settings of the fan thru the settings (with the risk of the unit overheating), however, I'm interested in it's "native" fan setting.

Can any of you confirm/deny if the 16 voice fan is louder than the 8 voice?

Also, any other practicaly quirks of the unit that you've discovered will be extremely helpful in my decisions (things I've heard is noise floor, CPU crashing, etc)

Thanks!

MWK

Re: Fan Noise + Other quirks?

Post by MWK » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:42 am

I had the 8-voice originally, then switched to the 16-voice. I don't hear any difference in the fan noise honestly. They operate very quietly on both. If your space is not overly hot, the fans usually stay at the lower speeds.

And trust me, if you get the 16-voice, you'll be glad you didn't get the 8-voice. It's a no brainer. I thought I was happy with the 8-voice, but when I switched, I knew I would never go back. It's a completely different experience. Very little instances of voice stealing and the sound is way more epic.

aqua2374

Post by aqua2374 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:09 pm

Sounds good, any other issues I should be aware of? Is the 16 voice version any different than the 8 voice in terms of behavior or glitches/things like that?

rtcstudio

Post by rtcstudio » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:31 am

I’ve had my 16v since March. I put the fan on low. Very quiet, It never bothers me, the fan in my Avid interface is louder.
Also I’ve never had a crash.

till

Post by till » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:38 am

I own a Moog One 16 for since March 2019.
The noise of the fan is no problem here. It is only heard, if I get behind my keyboard stand.
I just got one single crash, but this was an older firmware version.
And since the latest firmware, the tuning is fixed in the bass range (I only had tuning problems in the bass range).
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

sentionaut

Post by sentionaut » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:08 pm

I have an 8 and the fan noise is not terrible, although I have not been through a summer with it yet.

Only other main quirk is a creaky keybed. Seems to be fairly random as to when it happens, but its noticeable. Everything else is perfect so I don't want to change it and honestly the keybed feels so great to play its not really an issue.

TheDigitalMan

Post by TheDigitalMan » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:12 am

I've had a 16 for a couple years now and I don't notice the fan noise (the back of the 16 is about 8" from a wall). I can sure hear it on start up, and during warm up it creaks and pops but I don't really notice that anymore. I have several older analog synths and tend to fire up all of the gear, go make / have dinner and play in the evening (after everyone is nice and stable). I used to have the odd hang, but since the recent update I havn't had any of that either. All in all an amazing synth in a league of its own.