I finally got One!

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
AvMjr

I finally got One!

Post by AvMjr » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:59 pm

After researching the instrument thoroughly and saving for years, I managed to get a great offer on a Moog One 16-Voice at a music store here in Norway last week and finally decided to get it, and I'm so thrilled!

I'm spending the whole of this week familiarizing myself with it - two days in, and I still feel that I'm barely scratching the surface. So many possibilities! It's such great fun and an even more intuitive synth than I had originally thought - although with the option of (quite delightful) menu diving for additional options. And so far it seems to be no problem at all getting the vintage sounds I was after + I'm feeling inspired to do things I hadn't thought of. I feel this is a synth that will push and develop both my skills and my visions and wishes. A lifetime synth, for sure, as long as it stays stable and healthy - which I'm hopeful it will with the recent release of firmware version 1.5.

I was wondering if the members of this great forum congregation had any pro tips and tricks for a guy who've just begun to explore this massive beast of a synth? What are your favourite ways to use it? Do you connect it with other gear?

Now for a more specific question: Do you think I could use an angled XLR adapter for the power supply cable coming out of the Moog One? The idea is that I'll save some space in the back of the synth, being able to push it closer to the wall without risking damage to the original power supply cable. Come to think of it, I'd like to use angled adapters for all of the inputs and outputs, such as the different jack connections. Do you think this would impact the signal/audio quality in any way?

I'm always eager to optimize the setup and workflow of my studio and hope to find the best spot for my Moog One, of course as close to my desk/DAW as possible. At the moment it's sitting on top of my Wurlitzer 200A, resting on the Vintage Vibe Wurlitzer stackers, and it's working great, but the further back against the wall I can get it, the better, as my studio space is only 10 square meters (around 100 square feet). And I'm sure you can understand it's already quite cramped, already accommodating (humblebrag alert :oops: ) a Moog Voyager, Fender Rhodes, Neupert Telemann harpsichord, Farfisa Compact Deluxe, Korg Polysix, Moog Opus 3, Casio SA-20 ( :D ), Korg MS-20, Nord Stage 3, Roland Rhythm 77, Fender Mustang bass, Danelectro 59X12, Roland Space Echo RE-201 and Fender Deluxe Reverb, in addition to the Wurlitzer and the One + my microphones, a large desk, 19" rack with different outboard and my DAW + speaker systems. I'll also be setting up my newly purchased Artnovion acoustic wall and ceiling panels throughout the studio space within a few weeks + there's a Hohner Clavinet D6 coming in August... :lol:

Anyway, it's always great communicating with y'all and learning from your experience and wisdom, and I thought I'd reach out again as a new (and proud) Moog One owner. :mrgreen: I hope you're all having a great and musical summer! :D

Matthias Adloff

Re: I finally got One!

Post by Matthias Adloff » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:12 am

Congratulations! A very smart decision which you will never regret - that's promised.
A few things regarding the setup. I would say other than a switching sustain pedal and a continuous pedal on EXP1 you will not need anything. I highly doubt the angled connectors will change anything regarding the sound. But having the ONE as close to the wall as possible (could be as little as about 2cms if you find a way for the connections) is probably not a good idea. The two fans are very busy pumping the very hot air out of the ONE, I would better leave them some space. If you have a good A/C, it might be better, but here in summer in a non-A/C room, it's just getting HOT!

I think there is no rule for a start. What helped me a very lot was to get/buy each and every library that I could find and examine them one after one. GEO libraries for very good and useful production stuff, LisaBellaDonna (included) for sophisticated modular stuff, Luke Neptune for vintage sound (but not such a good programming overall), Matt Johnson for both great and useful sounds and(!) extremely well-thought programming, or TheRudyRude for dark, strange cinematic and endlessly-evolving soundscapes with inspirational use of the mod matrix. Not to forget the stock library, which is not loved by many, but well... I like it. At least it's also well programmed, though sound wise it does not do the ONE justice in many cases.

One thing you should keep in mind: It's easy to get completely lost in sound with the Moog ONE. So do yourself a favor and actually start to USE it in your productions. Sometimes you may love a sound from the Moog a lot, which then does not work in a song at all... just be warned :)

dingebre

Post by dingebre » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:41 am

AvMjr wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:59 pm After researching the instrument thoroughly and saving for years, I managed to get a great offer on a Moog One 16-Voice at a music store here in Norway last week and finally decided to get it, and I'm so thrilled!

I'm spending the whole of this week familiarizing myself with it - two days in, and I still feel that I'm barely scratching the surface. So many possibilities! It's such great fun and an even more intuitive synth than I had originally thought - although with the option of (quite delightful) menu diving for additional options. And so far it seems to be no problem at all getting the vintage sounds I was after + I'm feeling inspired to do things I hadn't thought of. I feel this is a synth that will push and develop both my skills and my visions and wishes. A lifetime synth, for sure, as long as it stays stable and healthy - which I'm hopeful it will with the recent release of firmware version 1.5.

I was wondering if the members of this great forum congregation had any pro tips and tricks for a guy who've just begun to explore this massive beast of a synth? What are your favourite ways to use it? Do you connect it with other gear?

Now for a more specific question: Do you think I could use an angled XLR adapter for the power supply cable coming out of the Moog One? The idea is that I'll save some space in the back of the synth, being able to push it closer to the wall without risking damage to the original power supply cable. Come to think of it, I'd like to use angled adapters for all of the inputs and outputs, such as the different jack connections. Do you think this would impact the signal/audio quality in any way?

I'm always eager to optimize the setup and workflow of my studio and hope to find the best spot for my Moog One, of course as close to my desk/DAW as possible. At the moment it's sitting on top of my Wurlitzer 200A, resting on the Vintage Vibe Wurlitzer stackers, and it's working great, but the further back against the wall I can get it, the better, as my studio space is only 10 square meters (around 100 square feet). And I'm sure you can understand it's already quite cramped, already accommodating (humblebrag alert :oops: ) a Moog Voyager, Fender Rhodes, Neupert Telemann harpsichord, Farfisa Compact Deluxe, Korg Polysix, Moog Opus 3, Casio SA-20 ( :D ), Korg MS-20, Nord Stage 3, Roland Rhythm 77, Fender Mustang bass, Danelectro 59X12, Roland Space Echo RE-201 and Fender Deluxe Reverb, in addition to the Wurlitzer and the One + my microphones, a large desk, 19" rack with different outboard and my DAW + speaker systems. I'll also be setting up my newly purchased Artnovion acoustic wall and ceiling panels throughout the studio space within a few weeks + there's a Hohner Clavinet D6 coming in August... :lol:

Anyway, it's always great communicating with y'all and learning from your experience and wisdom, and I thought I'd reach out again as a new (and proud) Moog One owner. :mrgreen: I hope you're all having a great and musical summer! :D
Congratulations! Good time to buy with the new firmware just out.

With regard to the angled adapters, I thought of that as well and bought some connectors to make a short extension cable. The problem is the jack on the Moog is "upside down" for any right angle adapter I could find, even the connectors you can adjust. The cable would either point up, or to the side. One way to the side the cable would cover other jacks, the other way runs into the wood. I could never find one that I could point down.

David
David

http://analoguerealities.com
http://analoguerealities.blogspot.com

Ronfairchild

Post by Ronfairchild » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:01 pm

I totally agree with the statement about having an incredible sound going on the ONE and it just doesn't work on the song you're doing for a client......Sometimes the instrument is TOO good.....I love mine and can't understand why anyone can find bad things to say about it.......

AvMjr

Post by AvMjr » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:31 am

Matthias Adloff wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:12 am The two fans are very busy pumping the very hot air out of the ONE, I would better leave them some space.
Thanks a lot for this great advice, Matthias! I now have the One 2.5" from the wall which gives the power cable a little room there in the back - hopefully that's enough for the fans to work properly as well, without the risk of overheating the synth. I actually had quite a long chat with Moog last week regarding angled adapters and a few other things, and they said that it shouldn't be a problem to use jack adapters with regards to my concern of potential audio degradation - as long as they're balanced/stereo. So these ones from Thomann that I already had work very well: https://www.thomannmusic.no/the_sssnake ... 7BEALw_wcB

However, Moog didn't recommend using extension cables, only adapters, as the length and quality of the extension cables could potentially degrade sound quality, but I guess this is a well-known fact. Regarding XLR adapters for the power cable, I think it's hard to find ready-made ones with that 4-pin XLR connector, but I can definitely live with the way it is now, without an adapter.

Thanks, also, to David and Ronfairchild for the valuable input! I did indeed start recording with the One already, and it's sounding fantastic! Spent the whole of last week familiarizing myself with the instrument and the manual, and it's so much fun getting to know this synth! Also, thanks, Matthias, for recommending the different preset libraries - that's definitely next on my list of Moog One chores! :D

till

Post by till » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:29 pm

The plain hard surface of a wall is reflecting the fan noise to the front (and player). If you put some absorber foam/panel behind the Moog One, you won't hear the fans as loud as without.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:04 pm

Admittedly, TheSSnake brand from Thomann is not directly known for producing high quality stuff, but unless you touch those more than a few times, there will be no difference at all. Neither measurable nor hearable.

You should not be concerned about audio degradation too much. It can become an obsession, trust me. Take care, you'll otherwise end up in a state where you cannot do top-professional music because you do not own a mint-conditioned Jupiter8. With your Moog One, you already set the bar very high. A good decision in my opinion, but again - take care.

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:43 pm

Regarding my words about Luke Neptune presets... well, I must say that some of those presets have much more under the hood than is obvious from first sight. So, I stand corrected, these are awesome, too.