Matt Johnsons Sound Pack

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Spb

Matt Johnsons Sound Pack

Post by Spb » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:31 pm

Evening All,

Matt Johnson has a new video out on YouTube and is flogging some of his custom patches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-RwyxTWIRU&t=550s

I bought them yesterday, but as always when i buy third party patches i have some issues with the presets themselves. Not all sounds come with glitches but for example the arpeggio or sequencer settings never seem to transfer to my 8 voice, Some timbres are not on. Problems like these. Is there an answer for this or has it something to do with they were made mainly on 16 voice models ? Or is this another glitch ?Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Matthias Adloff

Re: Matt Johnsons Sound Pack

Post by Matthias Adloff » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:50 pm

After about 4 hours of having an amazing time with Matt's library, I only arrived at the letter "E" today. I didn't see any issues so far.

If you could give an example (preset name & issue), it would be easier to see what you're talking about and if the issue also exists on a 16v.

EDIT: Judging from the first 30 presets, I see that Matt makes use of Unison mode quite often. It could well be that this leads to issues on a 8v, but there's of course no workaround but turning off Unison mode, which has a negative impact on the well-thought overall sound.

Otto Dix

Post by Otto Dix » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:20 pm

The aforementioned video gives some very interesting tips as well.

This bank is great and presets are very useable. Which is refreshing compared to most Factory presets (my first couple of hours with M1 was to delete most of them).

In the same vein, I would recommend Luke Neptune Bank which aims to reproduce classic analog synths. The LN Bank is also interesting to reverse engineer, especially in its use of MOD vars to introduce classic "flaws" in the spirit of Prophet 5 rev4 vintage knob.
Memorymoog, Moog One 16, Voyager RME, Sub 37, DFAM, Minitaur, Moogerfoogers, Expressive E Osmose

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:30 am

What I learned from Matts library was how to control wet/dry with a controller! Something that is not directly possible, but he has found a way/workaround. At the expense of having only half the voices, admittedly, but it works as a charm and gives us a "modern" effect.

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:30 am

Spb wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:31 pm Evening All,

Matt Johnson has a new video out on YouTube and is flogging some of his custom patches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-RwyxTWIRU&t=550s

I bought them yesterday, but as always when i buy third party patches i have some issues with the presets themselves. Not all sounds come with glitches but for example the arpeggio or sequencer settings never seem to transfer to my 8 voice, Some timbres are not on. Problems like these. Is there an answer for this or has it something to do with they were made mainly on 16 voice models ? Or is this another glitch ?Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Bought the preset pack yesterday. In a quick run I checked all the patches and cannot find out any problem you wrote about. I have the 16 voices. My first impression is, that Matt‘s excellent work is now in my Moog One. Impressive sounds for long evenings🤗 and really good stuff for new ideas. Can you give a hint which sound makes problems in your 8 voice?

Cheers
Tom
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

Spb

Post by Spb » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:01 pm

Apologies for the ultra late reply to those who kindly posted a response. Not been near my M1 recently but all this will change with the oncoming winter months. Bought a soundest last week after seeing 3 YouTube videos by Orano.

First patch was a 808 State Pacific number. Fantastic on his video but for me only the sequenced part worked. This is because the polyphony is set to available voices and mine has only 8 and not the 16 the patch was created on. Reducing it down got the lead and the following sequence to play (albeit only with perfect timing) This seems to be the crux of the matter. I did go through all the MJ sounds 3 months ago and wrote the differences down only to lose my notes !

Obviously before i purchased the M1 i had no idea of the complete sonic capabilities that were waiting for me. Should i have bought a 16 voice ? Probably yes but maybe i would not have stuck my neck out so far cost wise without knowing what i now know. Thanks guys.