System Calibration - Multimeter suggestions?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
HookedOnSonics

System Calibration - Multimeter suggestions?

Post by HookedOnSonics » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:18 pm

Soooooo I ran a Voice Calibration on a 16 voice took almost 8 hours. Then I did an Oscillator calibration, which took an hour or so. I would like to finish it out with a system calibration but I don't have a multimeter.

Can someone that uses a multimeter suggests one I should purchase?

Thanks in advance for your advice!!!
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

rtcstudio

Re: System Calibration - Multimeter suggestions?

Post by rtcstudio » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:19 am

I got this one. It works great. Readings out to 3 decimal places (x.000)

Limited-time deal: AstroAI Digital Multimeter, TRMS 4000 Counts Auto-Ranging Ohmmeter Voltmeter 1.5v/9v/12v Battery Voltage Tester Measure Voltage Current Resistance Diodes Continuity Capacitance with NCV Function https://a.co/7nXWNne

Sugar

Post by Sugar » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:23 pm

for reliability, I would get Fluke 117. It's expensive though.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:27 pm

Sugar wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:23 pm for reliability, I would get Fluke 117. It's expensive though.
Not compared to the cost of my 16 voice :D

Ok, so then the next mutimeter rookie question is what am i supposed to due with my y cable?
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

Sugar

Post by Sugar » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:18 pm

The calibration guide will tell you how and when to connect it.
From what I remember the TRS end goes to the headphones out and the two TS ends to the CV ins.

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:24 am

Yes, it's needed for the headphone calibration only. If no problems with the headphone jacks are present, you won't need it. For all other tasks, 4 patch cables are sufficient. They may be TS or TRS, that doesn't matter.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:21 pm

ok, so, i'll read the fluke manual, promise :-)

I have never done this before. Before the fluke arrives, gonna guess at this, please let me know how close I get.

I'm guessing you plug a ts or trs into a cv in or out and then attach the other end to a fluke clamp which is plugged into the sockets at the bottom of the fluke?

I realize or I think I realize that with Moogs, unlike ARPs, ya want to see a reading around .5+-?

I've been YouTubing all morning but have not found a vid where someone is actually demoing this process. Would have been REALLY cool if Moog would have done one, but after the latest news on the net, guess that got more pressing matters to attenuate to.

Again, thanks in advance for any and all advice.

rtcstudio

Post by rtcstudio » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:36 pm

It’s really simple once you get into it. The Moog screen tells you exactly what to do, what to connect etc at each step.

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:30 am

There was a small and incomplete demo here on YT.
Yes, the function has already been available in FW 1.0.4 at least. But don't hesitate to just give it a try if you NEED it. You cannot do any harm to the One (afaik).

GetsemaniMusic

Post by GetsemaniMusic » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:29 pm

The video you referenced was for the Oscillator Compensation not System Calibration and is obsolete. The updated version is at https://youtu.be/ioBZdMUbxRI. A video on System Calibration was just posted at https://youtu.be/jRHJgwrc7dI.

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:50 pm

Thanks for the update!
Is there any way to "cheat" my Moog One to balance the Main Outs? My right channel always had a lower voltage than the left one. Not too bad (measures about -1.5dB in RME TotalMix), but annoying.
The problem is not present at the Sub Outs, and all has been calibrated completely. So it seems to me that calibration works fine on the subs, but not for the main outs.