YES !

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Otto Dix

YES !

Post by Otto Dix » Thu May 26, 2022 10:48 am

1.5 installing now.
Memorymoog, Moog One 16, Voyager RME, Sub 37, DFAM, Minitaur, Moogerfoogers, Expressive E Osmose

rtcstudio

Re: YES !

Post by rtcstudio » Thu May 26, 2022 10:58 am

Why didn’t I get an email? 😁

1.5.0 Firmware dropped today:

• CV Input/Output implementation greatly expanded:
— 10 new CV/Pedal Input Functions (including Expression)

• · Master Volume

• · Expression

• · Filter Cutoff

• · Pitch V/Oct

• · Env Gate

• · Sustain Pedal

• · Sostenuto Pedal

• · Mod Wheel

• · Pad X

• · Pad Y— 14 new CV Output Sources

• · Pitch (U)

• · Pitch (B)

• · Gate

• · Velocity

• · CV 1 Input

• · CV 2 Input

• · Pedal 1 Input (Exp1)

• · Pedal 2 Input (Exp 2)

• · Sustain Pedal Input

• · Sequence Pitch (U)

• · Sequence Pitch (B)

• · Sequence Gate

• · Sequencer Return to Zero (RTZ)

• · Sustain and Sostenuto functionality is now fully implemented:

— Sends/Responds to MIDI CC 64 for Sustain Pedal
— Sends/Responds to MIDI CC 66 for Sostenuto Pedal
— Sustain or Sostenuto function available via any CV Input• New User-Facing Calibration Routines:
— Voice Card Calibrations ensure optimal tuning and response of all components of the analog voice circuits. — System Calibrations ensure proper functionality of the inputs, outputs, potentiometers, and the LHC.• New “Return to Zero All” Command:
— (SHIFT+RTZ) returns the sequencers for all three synths to zero, regardless of PANEL FOCUS settings.

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Thu May 26, 2022 11:25 am

Hm. Okay, it's 1.5 only, as expected.
Regarding the Tuning and Calibration section, this has been in 1.4.0 already. Are there any changes in the system calibrations area? That would be good news, and I could give it a try on my stereo main outputs which aren't well calibrated since day one. With the 1.4.0 system routines, it couldn't be fixed.

audiosampling

Post by audiosampling » Thu May 26, 2022 11:36 am

At last. I am happy the sustain pedal now works via MIDI. Some bugs are corrected, some not. Delay is still out of sync 🙁 Try a simple arpeggiator sequence running at 120BPM (internal clock) combined with a dotted eight delay. In theory, the delay value should be 375ms, but to get the sound right, one needs to exist the delay sync, and dial 362ms manually. (There is an offset between the delay values set, and what the actual delay does. Something like 10-20ms offset, and this ends in smearing the feedback taps).

Pencilcase

Post by Pencilcase » Thu May 26, 2022 11:45 am

Notes still hang on, on arpegiated notes send by midi from cubase :( hell... project at 175bpm's and while now is more stable, notes still hang on on time to time. SAD. The most expensive dust collector... please fix that!! I have enough with Virus Ti to have another one like that...

MWK

Post by MWK » Thu May 26, 2022 11:58 am

Reporting back with the little bit of time I just spent with 1.5.

I have to say that most of the issues I had with it are now GONE! The little clicks and pops from changing settings / preset / parameters are absolutely gone. It doesn't seem like much but not having these little digital noises was so distracting to me and now that they're gone, I feel like everything operates so smoothly and without interruption. Moog One feels polished from that point. I especially couldn't stand the effect glitches when you would switch presets, it sounds like a car crash every time. Now, you can actually switch from one preset to another during a musical performance and actually implement these changes naturally in your sound.

I haven't played around with any CV/Midi yet so I leave that for someone else.

They didn't fix a kind of small thing that I've been asking for since Moog One came out. I will send it to them again since I think it's actually a fundamental issue. Basically, when you use any LFO to modulate the WAVE angle and that LFO is unipolar, the Modulation direction is inverted, which is wrong. So if your Wave Angle is all the way to the left (let's call that -100), and you try to modulate it by +100 (for example), it actually behaves as though it is pushing the Wave Angle towards -200 (which doesn't make sense and isn't audible). If you leave that modulation (the +100) enabled and you turn the Wave Angle to 12 o-clock (0 position), then the LFO will act as thought it is modulating from 0 to -100 and the modulation becomes audible. This is just plain wrong (unless someone has an explanation) and it should be fixed because it is such a fundamental issue. I use the LFOs in unipolar a lot since I want to be very aware of how I'm modulating (sometimes bipolar can get a bit messy), so this is a constant break in logic for me.

You can't have -100 + 100 = -200 or 100 + 0 = -100. Most people probably don't notice it that much because they leave their LFOs in bipolar mode. It is still an issue in bipolar mode, but it's harder to notice it since it sounds like things are modulating correctly even when they're not. I'm not sure if it's how the wave is generated and if it can't be fixed, but no other modulation source affects the Wave Angle in this way, it's just the unipolar LFOs. They said they would fix it in 1.3, then 1.4 and then supposedly 1.5, but it's not fixed.

I'm OCD with fundamental details like this. Fix it and I'll go away for good! :)

But, let's be clear, 1.5 is a beautiful update! The Moog One sounds like a DREAM and it is the best synthesizer I've ever played, hands down. It just GOT WAY BETTER!

audiosampling

Post by audiosampling » Thu May 26, 2022 12:06 pm

MWK wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:58 am They didn't fix a kind of small thing that I've been asking for since Moog One came out. I will send it to them again since I think it's actually a fundamental issue. Basically, when you use any LFO to modulate the WAVE angle and that LFO is unipolar, the Modulation direction is inverted, which is wrong. So if your Wave Angle is all the way to the left (let's call that -100), and you try to modulate it by +100 (for example), it actually behaves as though it is pushing the Wave Angle towards -200 (which doesn't make sense and isn't audible).
I noticed something similar, but fixing it would probably change how patches programmed with that "inverted" setting sound. And people won't understand why suddenly patches sound different.

till

Post by till » Thu May 26, 2022 12:26 pm

Downloading right now!

I hope to run the improved tuning and calibration tomorrow (it is past 6 pm here).
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Thu May 26, 2022 12:46 pm

We kept the faith! I can’t do anything in the studio until Sunday, so I’ll be keeping an eye on what you’re all finding.
I hope to run the improved tuning and calibration tomorrow
Till love to hear what you find, I was planning that too.

Well done Moog, but why oh why the poor Comms I really don’t get that.

rtcstudio

Post by rtcstudio » Thu May 26, 2022 1:11 pm

What is the “Moog One USB Driver v4.42.0” for?
Notes don’t mention it that I can see.

rtcstudio

Post by rtcstudio » Thu May 26, 2022 2:17 pm

rtcstudio wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:11 pm What is the “Moog One USB Driver v4.42.0” for?
Notes don’t mention it that I can see.
Ah, it’s for DAWS on Windows PCs

pmtrub

Post by pmtrub » Thu May 26, 2022 3:11 pm

Just installed here. Immediately noticed all the artifacts when cycling presets are essentially gone. Looking forward to messing around with this and seeing what else has been fixed.

MWK

Post by MWK » Thu May 26, 2022 4:57 pm

audiosampling wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:06 pm
MWK wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:58 am They didn't fix a kind of small thing that I've been asking for since Moog One came out. I will send it to them again since I think it's actually a fundamental issue. Basically, when you use any LFO to modulate the WAVE angle and that LFO is unipolar, the Modulation direction is inverted, which is wrong. So if your Wave Angle is all the way to the left (let's call that -100), and you try to modulate it by +100 (for example), it actually behaves as though it is pushing the Wave Angle towards -200 (which doesn't make sense and isn't audible).
I noticed something similar, but fixing it would probably change how patches programmed with that "inverted" setting sound. And people won't understand why suddenly patches sound different.
It's a worthy sacrifice. I'd rather the synth work logically than someone not be hurt by the fact they might have to rewrite a few patches, no?

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Thu May 26, 2022 5:06 pm

Overall, that is a great update. If we were in a big companies world, I would call that v1.02, but however. The synth is much more stable, clicks and pops are away when scrolling, no more hanging notes here with all projects that reliably caused them before. And the new sounds from Lisa are very welcome, too!

Whoever was held back from buying the Moog One due to a few, but annoying bugs can buy it now without any worries. It's pretty mature.

Playing for about 5 hours it actually "feels" a lot snappier than ever before. And I'm yet to find any of my 3.000+ presets that would sound any different. Just for fun, I have put all presets into a single user space, and still browsing this huge database is smooth! Fantastic!

Regarding my Main Output issue, running through the "new" system calibration didn't change anything, unfortunately. Still Main L output is 1.4dB louder than Main R. My guess is that the symmetric transformers are not well calibrated, but I have no clue how to fix this. And the System Calibration freezes the Moog if you select "CV OUT" -> "CHECK" and turn the calibration knob.

However, this is complaining on the highest level. The Moog One 16 is the best (sounding and versatile) poly synth money can buy today, and I would already include the OB-X8 here. This is the only newer poly synth that I didn't have here in my studio yet, so I'm only judging from the demos. I'll report back once it arrives.

tokenrecluse

Post by tokenrecluse » Thu May 26, 2022 9:13 pm

AHHHHHHHHHH! The day has arrived! I can't believe it! Congrats everybody and thank you Moog! WOO!