How to get noise to filter/pitch in the style of P5/10

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
benabbiana

How to get noise to filter/pitch in the style of P5/10

Post by benabbiana » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:09 pm

Hi,

I've been kind of stuck on something today and it struck me that maybe the geniuses here can figure out. Basically I want to route random noise into the filter cutoff and/or the pitch for the Moog One...I'm not sure if you're familiar, but I've been working on a Prophet 5 and a new P10 and they both have this delicious tone when routing the noise to the filter or pitch. Wonderfully dirty instability.

Basically I've been into the mod matrix and it seems that I'm at a bit of a loss trying to replicate this. Any ideas? Sorry if this is noob tier, but I'm still learning this synth - it's a beast.

benabbiana

Re: How to get noise to filter/pitch in the style of P5/10

Post by benabbiana » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:59 am

What I specifically mean is using noise as a control voltage on the One to get instability in the filter.

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:48 pm

You can do this a number of ways. The Random modulation source is noise, and can be assigned to the Filter destination. You can also use the VARS to filter or mutate this noise as desired.

Each of the 4 LFOs can also become a noise source and be used for modulation.
Use the Sample and Hold setting, and turn the Variation completely to the right, and it’s now a noise source. Ditto on the use of the VARs functions here as well.

There’s lots of groovy LFO controls (fade in, Fade out, smoothing, etc) that can make this a very flexible noise source. I do this a lot to create modulation “chiffs” on note attacks by modulating the filter, or the waveshaping or PWM.

Hope this helps!
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Tue May 17, 2022 7:52 am

How exactly can you use the noise generator to modulate the filtercutoff ?
I find the lfo’s as source indeed ( and they can be set to s/h <->noise ) , however don’t find the knob to connect noisegenerator as modulationsource . I miss something, help appreciated .

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Tue May 17, 2022 10:28 pm

Let’s say that we’re using LFO 4 in this example as our noise modulation source.

Set LFO 4 to S/H, and set the Variation all the way to the right.
Now, LFO 4 is no longer an LFO; it is a white noise source.

Assign LFO 4 to the filter cutoff, either through the Destination button assignment, or by going into the Modulation Matrix and assigning LFO 4 to the filter cutoff. Now, that noise is being applied to the filter cutoff (or anywhere else you would like to use it).

You can filter the noise source by using the smoothing for LFO 4, or by using VARs and running the noise through filters there.

Happy Creating!
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com