Aftertouch and Pitchbend Sensitivity

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
eltobosolo

Aftertouch and Pitchbend Sensitivity

Post by eltobosolo » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:25 pm

I'm having a bit of fun using the Linnstrument to control the Moog One. I know the One doesn't have MPE support (although a boy can dream) but in the meanwhile there's still lots that can be done with the Linnstrument as a conventional MIDI controller. I'm having a bit of trouble with a couple of things though:

- The One doesn't seem to respond to AT from the Linnstrument. I assign the AT destination using the AT button on the panel, it works using the One keybed, but AT from the Linnstrument seems to be ignored. Am I missing something about how to configure AT response?
- The Linnstrument sends very small PB changes when doing vibrato, so small they are not really audible. Is there a way to assign a multiplier or something to increase the sensitivity?

I expected to see AT and PB in the mod matrix, but don't see anything there, so I feel like I'm missing something basic.

till

Re: Aftertouch and Pitchbend Sensitivity

Post by till » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:12 am

Does the Linnstrument sends polyphonic aftertouch or channel aftertouch? These are total different MIDI messages.

You can set the pitch bend modulation depth in the receiving MIDI unit. Every MIDI instrument is sending out its pitchbend without the scaling of the pitchbend range.
And the Moog One is the receiver here. It is set per patch.
So open the MORE menu on the Moog One's left hand controller functions MORE menu and adjust the pitch bend offset for the top and low end ("PITCH BEND UP"; "PITCH BEND DOWN"). You may have to do this in each of the up to 3 instruments individually.
And you might have to check the oscillators MORE menu for an offset of pitch bend set in one of the three VCOs ("BEND UP OFFSET";"BEND DOWN OFFSET").

My guess is, that using the PITCH BEND UP and PITCH BEND DOWN parameter of the left hand controller functions MORE menu set to +12 and-12 will give a good starting point. The typical set few semitones range does not match the Linninstrument usage.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16