Output issues

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Matthias Adloff

Output issues

Post by Matthias Adloff » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:44 pm

Using the MainOuts, my left channel measures -1.9dB compared to the right channel.
I tried to switch to the SubOuts, which are perfectly levelled, but they have a worse SNR (about 8dB), so I'm not really willing to use them as my main outs.

Is there any way to adjust the MainOuts?

JnGd

Re: Output issues

Post by JnGd » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:13 pm

in the manual p.53, paragrah "OUTPUT MORE PAGE" perhaps ?

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:00 pm

There is a calibration for the main out levels in the hidden calibration routine (if you dare).

https://youtu.be/tj5PIea1urg

Select system calibration, and scroll down to Main Outs and follow the directions.
The results must be saved under the save calibration at the bottom of the menu after the calibration is completed, and the machine rebooted for the changes to take effect.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:57 pm

Thanks synthguy,

yes, I dared. Your info helped me a very lot. I was able to reduce the difference on my MainOuts from almost 2dB down to 0.3dB. Fantastic! I guess the rest is due to the CV inputs not being completely identical, or my cables or whatever. But 0.3dB... yeah, I can live with that.

Credits also go to GeminiMusic.

JnGd

Post by JnGd » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:51 pm

Happiness for you ! :wink:

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:21 am

Awesome!
The built in calibrations are not perfect, but they work pretty well, at least for me. I found that running the desired calibrations several times, especially after the machine is well warmed up, can often create even better results. You might try running the entire system calibration routine to get everything setup correctly for the best results.
For me, the different filter voices were not tracking all that well, and after running the filter cal 3 or 4 times, I had a pretty solid calibration, and all voices tracked really well. The calibrations also eliminated voice tuning differences in the lower octaves, and it sounds great with the oscillator compensation off. My strobe tuner shows that all voices are within a few cents of the target pitch at all octaves, which is about as good as it's going to get with such a large analog system.

Be aware that caibrating the oscillators takes a LONG time, because it tries to get readings with the oscillators hot and cold, by using the internal fans. I recommend setting the fans to LOW and letting the unit really warm up for several hours before running calibrations.
My machine is really working well now, certainly as good as my P5.
I suspect there will be improvements to this routine in the future, as well as more cool stuff coming.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

Matthias Adloff

Post by Matthias Adloff » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:41 am

I couldn't resist and performed ALL calibrations from top to bottom.
Everything went smoothly. And then - I tried the voice card calibrations. I was surprised that only the subs and the line ins must be connected for that, but anyways. After some hours, they failed with the message "EXTERNAL INPUT VCA" for all voices. Now this result is somehow stuck in the calibration menu. Anyone out there who knows what exactly the functions "RESTORE LEGACY DATA" and "RESET DATABASE" mean? Is there a backup of the first calibration that Moog performed before shipping?

However, I exported the DATABASE and inspected all tables (it simply SQLite), but hey, no idea where to start.

What bothers me the most: After the stuck voice calibration, the MainOuts are back at a difference of almost 2dB. If I only had some knowledge with electronics!

PS: Great how we all spend our time waiting for 1.5 :D

EDIT: Today another voice calibration was completed successfully. And yes, the One is perfectly in tune now! Now I will spend the night with calibrations once more, it's like a kid with his new christmas toy.