What drives the extra value?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Billc123

What drives the extra value?

Post by Billc123 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:25 pm

Hey all! I have a few toys and have been thinking about a Moog. My price point is more in the Sub37 and Matriach range, and I’m leaning toward the new Sub. But the Moog One is always THE synth I hear about. Can you help me justify the extra $$s? #2, I was in the storeroom in Asheville recently, are there any periods where you do discounts or discount overstock. Maybe before a new line is introed ?? TY, I love them but they aren’t inexpensive. Thanks again!!

RbtBg

Re: What drives the extra value?

Post by RbtBg » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:10 pm

Without wanting to regurgitate spec sheets, I can say from my experience as a happy Moog One (16 voice) owner since March 2020 that the Moog One is a very powerful polyphonic instrument which has a massive sound palette.
My first synth was a Nord Stage 2 which is sample-based with weighted keys and some great features.
As a beginner, the sounds were amazing. I still love the Nord Stage 2.

The Moog One was my first analogue synth. The quality difference is astronomical.
For me, it's better to start with an init patch and build up from there as the raw oscillator sounds are very pleasing.
As you develop your sound design, you can save the parameters as preset (so you can recall it later).
These presets can also include sequences (3 independent sequences if you want).

I also own a Matriarch, a Grandmother, a Mother-32, 2 DFAMs, a Subharmonicon and a Werkstatt-01.
They are all great at what they do and have distinct benefits.

Matthias Adloff

Re: What drives the extra value?

Post by Matthias Adloff » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:03 pm

The extra $$$ are for the polyphony and the Eventide FX. That given, at least the Moog One 16 is not expensive at all, actually. The only thing you should be aware of that is far away from being error-free. I have my third unit, and all of them showed different issues.
Why do I stick with it? Because it *sounds* amazing for polyphonic stuff. For mono Moog stuff, it is not the first choice, though. I prefer my ATC-Xi 4 filter (which is my all-time favourite machine ever built), my Voyager and my MiniMoog, though the latter also has a lot of issues, and that's only for one voice... :) Most newer machines I didn't like much, like the Phatty, Subsequent 37, Matriarch and Mother32. Sold all of them - they can be replaced with VSTis. Hmm, no, the Phatty cannot be replaced. So admittedly, I still have it here, but in the cellar for no particular reason.