do you have any experience with the SUB l/R outputs?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
maddyman1000

do you have any experience with the SUB l/R outputs?

Post by maddyman1000 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:38 pm

Hi erverybody
in case that I could not devide the 3 Synthe to different midi channels (3rd mail to moog just left yesterday while they did not answered yet), I try to check out the feature to use the Sub l/R outputs.
As written in the manual these outputs can be forgivven for Synth 1,2 or 3.
Have you experience in using it?
My try is to use each Synth for a single midi channel (like it is pre set in the Settings / Midi i/O- but even if I choose there PER SYNTH 1/2/3 and for the output 1/2/3 midi data leaves the moog every time on 3 diiferent midi channels simmoultaniosly !) so perhaps it could works better when using SUB L/R - lets have a try.
Has anybody experience with that or know how I could get this issue within ABLETON LIVE?
Other users (like James Mordan from GeoSynth.com)told me that they use Logic and with the created midi stacks it seems to work) but in case of Ableton it doesn't !
Any idea?
Thank you !
regards
martin
moog one 16, 4x Novation Supernova 48v, Arturia Origin, BeststepPro, Analog Factory,Waldorf XT,3x Midibox Seq4+,Roland S760,Roland SPD20, 2xMotu 24AI,Access Virus TI & A,Fatar Studio2001,3x Akai APC40mk2, Novation Slmk3, LauchpadPRo,Hackintosh i5

noisebit

Re: do you have any experience with the SUB l/R outputs?

Post by noisebit » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:21 am

The Moog One can receive on a different midi channel for each synth via Logic in my setup.
I think, Ableton should be able, too, :wink:
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

maddyman1000

Post by maddyman1000 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:54 pm

Hi Tom, thank you for the helpfull advises.
I don't know if you know the MIDI MONITOR Prg. (https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/)
It is a great little feature, which lets you see which data is coming in and leaves a mac.
Perhaps you have it already and perhaps you can have a look if you press a key when using synth 1 on (e.g.) Midi channel 1, if the other synths receive or sends midi data too, even if the are set to different midi channels.
I think it is not the case of Ableton, when using it there I can see the same issue (one synths is triggered and the other gets the data as well), independently of the MIDI Monitor, which is standig outside and protocols all the data.
I can only setup the right things in the settings for midi I/O but when doing this, as described below, every synth send on all used midi channels.
Perhaps you have the ability to look for me.
thanks a lot
regards
martin
moog one 16, 4x Novation Supernova 48v, Arturia Origin, BeststepPro, Analog Factory,Waldorf XT,3x Midibox Seq4+,Roland S760,Roland SPD20, 2xMotu 24AI,Access Virus TI & A,Fatar Studio2001,3x Akai APC40mk2, Novation Slmk3, LauchpadPRo,Hackintosh i5

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:07 am

Moog One can only send on one midi channel you can define. Standard is midi channel 1.
Your DAW maps this basic to your actually selected midi track.

e.g.

Create a midi track in your DAW an set it to channel 3.
Play something an your moog. The moog sends on midi channel 1 and the DAW will record this.
If you play it back, you should hear only synth 3, if you set synth 3 to midi channel 3.

What tells the view in your midi monitor, when you play back the track?
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

maddyman1000

Post by maddyman1000 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:31 pm

The midi monitor is loaded first, without opening my DAW.
If I press a key on the Moog, the is an Note on and off shown data for all the 3 channels.
So even if I open Abelton after words and create 3 Midi tracks with independent channels, it looks the same.
Tomorrow I get an extra HDD and will install my old Logic X on it to look whats going on there.
I can't explain it but thats what the moog does.
I could send you a sreeshot but here I think we can't post images.
So I will try...
thanks

maddyman1000

Post by maddyman1000 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:51 pm

Oh no,- I forgot, if I install Logic I think the setup will change something in my system,- I have a hackintosh and even if I choose an update (have Sierra so far) or istall an apple software I suspect the system will be different after it.
So I go a different way to find out why Logic users are able to work with 3 different midi channels when unsing only the main out of the Moog one.