Moog One 8 Voice Owners here?

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
MarnelKelis

Moog One 8 Voice Owners here?

Post by MarnelKelis » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:47 am

Heya!

I’ve been really considering a Moog One but I can’t really find many reviews for the 8 voice.

I was wondering if anyone here had an 8 and regretted not spending up for the 16? Do you feel limited with it?

Just some general thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks!

SteveModana

Re: Moog One 8 Voice Owners here?

Post by SteveModana » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:21 am

Well it depends on your usage. If you use a lot UNISON or say if you want to sequence or layer the three synths, you should consider the 16voice. I use both a lot, it's not rare that my sounds use up to 20-30 oscs (because of unison).

Imagine you make a lead sound with a mono, rather simple center, and you add a second synth layer with unison and a wide stereofield. This is what I do a lot for leads.

For me actually an 8 voice would be to few, the way I use the one.
Moog One, Moog Voyager RME, SEQ Prophet 10, DSI Poly Evolver PE, Behringer Neutron+Pro-1, Access Virus TI Polar, iMac i9, UAD Apollos, www.begemo.com

4dubs

Post by 4dubs » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:09 pm

I have an 8 voice. It was the best I could afford without selling off my Prophet 6.

And I love it, but just as SteveModana puts it, it depends on how you're trying to use it. Unison and layering of the engines is going to eat up voices FAST!

So is it limiting? Based on the overall design concept of the One and it's three layers, yes, absolutely. You're simply not going to be capable of utilizing all the options 16 voices affords you.

Do I regret not selling my Prophet 6 to bump up to the 16v? Not at all. The P6 has a tone and immediacy of operation that I don't think the One can quite match. And an 8 voice One is still super powerful, sounds awesome and is far deeper than any other analog poly on the market. I've gotten great results with it.

So I stand by my decision to go with a combo of P6 and somewhat hobbled Moog One, but there's no question I would've gone with 16 voices if money was no object.

I'm still holding out hope that Moog eventually releases an 8 voice expansion, even though they said at the time of release that it wasn't possible. I'm not sure I believe that. :D
Moog: Model D, Voyager, Sub 37, ONE 8V, Minifooger Delay (x2)/DSI: Prophet 6, Pro 2, Prophet REV2 16V/Nord Stage 2 SW73/Studiologic Sledge 2.0 Black/Waldorf Iridium desktop/Arturia Matrixbrute/Behringer Mono/Poly, 2600/Mellotron Micro/Modal Cobalt 8x

Iaamusic

Post by Iaamusic » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:57 pm

I went 8 voice deliberately because I knew I’d not be doing lots of layering of the three synth layers. I often use one layer for lead and one for chords and never ran out of notes yet. I’ve always managed easily with 8 note polyphony, having had a Jupiter 6 for years and more recently a P6, the One 8v is more than enough. Some say it runs slightly cooler too, although I’ve not seen any real tests to prove it, so I wouldn’t let that sway you necessarily.

Nicholas Varley

Post by Nicholas Varley » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:20 am

I use my ONE as 3 independent monosynths so an 8 voice was enough for me :)

MWK

Post by MWK » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:56 am

I originally had the 8V and was quite satisfied with it. But then I ended up getting a 16V. (It's a long story...)

I would have been quite happy with the 8V but when you have the 16V you no longer worry about not having enough voices (too obvious?). Honestly, I rarely use all 16 voices unless I'm trying to make the most sonically-intense patch I can without having any voices cut out! But really, I believe limitation is key to creativity. A 8V covers most of what you'll need, except when it comes to layering polyphonic patches. If you're more into monophonic sounds with some polyphonic flavours, an 8V will be perfect.

I also noticed that the 8V was quieter, ran cooler and overall just felt faster (even if I can't prove that). The 16V sometimes feels like it's too much. Like having a Prophet 10 instead of a Prophet 5. ;)

Just my two cents.

ljglmail

Post by ljglmail » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:41 am

The sounds are fantastic! I love this synth. I use it in conjunction with a Juno 106, a Korg Poly 800, and an AKAI AX60. The only drawback is the limited polyphony. I have to turn down the polyphony on one of the synths in order for them to all play together nicely. This is a problem because I like having all 3 synths available for different parts of my music... Overall, however, this is a great synth! It's incredible for techno music, ambient sounds (especially as an additional synth for my Roland Fantom X6), and even some heavy metal-type stuff (try using the sawtooth waveform in an arpeggiator). I'm really enjoying it!!

Avantmidi

Post by Avantmidi » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:05 am

I have an 8 Voice too here. Very happy. She is a beauty.
Wanted an 8 Voice. Less heat. Fans on LOW Mode all the time.
Polyfonie is nice enough. I just record in my DAW.
If I want to play super long released sounds I pick a quality plugin.
Love it!
IMG_6338.jpg

LtN-Jones

Post by LtN-Jones » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:19 am

Hi,
I'm a Moog One 8 voices user. Very happy with it. For me the main question is about layering the 3 synths.
16v is more confortable, with my 8 voices, sometimes I need to find solution. But the main issue is more in a Live perspective than in studio. In live you can't record in three time the 3 synths of the Moog... But for my usage when I'm live I'm usually using one bass and one pad or keys, then eight voice is enough most of the time.
Best

kelseyradley

Post by kelseyradley » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:41 pm

The noises are wonderful! This synth is amazing. In addition to a Juno 106, a Korg Poly 800, and an AKAI AX60, I also utilize it. The restricted polyphony is the only negative. In order for them to all harmoniously play together, I have to reduce the polyphony on one of the synths. I dislike not having access to all three synths for various sections of my music, thus this is a problem. However, as a whole, this is a fantastic synth! It's fantastic for ambient sounds, techno music, adding another synth to my Roland Fantom X6, and even some heavy metal-influenced music (try using the sawtooth waveform in an arpeggiator). It's incredibly fun for me! 
tunnel rush