OSC Note-On Reset

Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
SteveModana

OSC Note-On Reset

Post by SteveModana » Mon May 10, 2021 1:00 pm

Hello, does anyone notice any difference when NOTE-ON RESET in the Osc section is on or off? To me it doesn’t make any difference. Seems like it‘s not working (I know how it should sound eg in unison in reset mode or with FM)
Moog One, Moog Voyager RME, SEQ Prophet 10, DSI Poly Evolver PE, Behringer Neutron+Pro-1, Access Virus TI Polar, iMac i9, UAD Apollos, www.begemo.com

SteveModana

Re: OSC Note-On Reset

Post by SteveModana » Tue May 11, 2021 3:42 pm

Moog music has today come back to me and they said that indeed, this setting has no effect, even not on their Moog Ones over there. They will address that in a future update.
Moog One, Moog Voyager RME, SEQ Prophet 10, DSI Poly Evolver PE, Behringer Neutron+Pro-1, Access Virus TI Polar, iMac i9, UAD Apollos, www.begemo.com

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Tue May 11, 2021 9:26 pm

So there i am reading along and i'm like, that's nice ... "They will address that in a future update" and i start to move on to another post when it hit me, i'm like, WHAT? WAIT!, did you write "They will address that in a future update" They promised a Future Update?

OUTSTANDING!!!

For a while there we started thinking that we had become part of ... the forgotten ONES.
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Wed May 12, 2021 4:52 am

hope dies last :)
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

golden beers

Post by golden beers » Tue May 18, 2021 6:42 am

haha. believe it or not this feature was why I got this synth in the first place. Nice one moog, your OS is full of bugs and shortfalls. It all seems so good on paper and then instead of working on my project I'm chasing my tail trying to get non-existent features to work.

golden beers

Post by golden beers » Tue May 18, 2021 7:00 am

HookedOnSonics wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:26 pm "They will address that in a future update" They promised a Future Update?

This could just mean that they take that option away because it's broken.

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Wed May 19, 2021 12:21 pm

For all of us, who can't imagine what we miss:

My Prophet XL with
https://soundcloud.com/noisebit-2/proph ... wave-reset

and without Wave-Reset (that's equal to NOTE-ON Reset)
https://soundcloud.com/noisebit-2/2-osc ... wave-reset
Moog One 16/NL C15/Waldorf Iridium/Prophet XL/Prophet 10 D/Prophet rev2 16/OB-X8/OB 6 D/2600/VC 340/Kurzweil PC3K7/Kurzweil 2500R/Access Virus TI2/Reason/NI Ultimate/Logic X

noisebit

Post by noisebit » Sat May 22, 2021 8:03 am

I recorded a sequence with 2 OSC SAW. At bar 20 I switched
to HARD-SYNC OSC1->OSC2. I detuned the frequency of OSC2 to -7.
OSC compensation is set to OFF.

Both Oscillators start at the same level. I found my workaround (or solution).

https://soundcloud.com/noisebit-2/moog-sync-moog-one

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Sat May 22, 2021 2:07 pm

Niceeeeeeee, very cool riff!!!
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

inlandempire

Post by inlandempire » Sun May 23, 2021 3:06 pm

HookedOnSonics wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:26 pm So there i am reading along and i'm like, that's nice ... "They will address that in a future update" and i start to move on to another post when it hit me, i'm like, WHAT? WAIT!, did you write "They will address that in a future update" They promised a Future Update?

OUTSTANDING!!!

For a while there we started thinking that we had become part of ... the forgotten ONES.
Indeed they are. I know that the 1.5 firmware is in beta and have been int for quite som weeks. I think it is a matter of....patience!

SteveModana

Post by SteveModana » Wed May 26, 2021 1:56 am

noisebit wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:21 pm For all of us, who can't imagine what we miss:

My Prophet XL with
https://soundcloud.com/noisebit-2/proph ... wave-reset

and without Wave-Reset (that's equal to NOTE-ON Reset)
https://soundcloud.com/noisebit-2/2-osc ... wave-reset
Well, the ProphetXL uses digital oscillators, where this is easy. I actually don't know of an example of VCOs "note-resetting" properly. I guess Moog One is the first.

SteveModana

Post by SteveModana » Wed May 26, 2021 2:05 am

noisebit wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:03 am I recorded a sequence with 2 OSC SAW. At bar 20 I switched
to HARD-SYNC OSC1->OSC2. I detuned the frequency of OSC2 to -7.
OSC compensation is set to OFF.

Both Oscillators start at the same level. I found my workaround (or solution).

https://soundcloud.com/noisebit-2/moog-sync-moog-one
Moog One does (at the moment) almost always reset oscillators by default. What you are hearing in your example is (from sec 20) the single OSC2 playing. All you have done, by lowering the frequency of the synced osc, is to make the saw wave slightly quieter and unsymmetrical. Just imagine your saw, getting restarted before it has reached it's lowest point.

SteveModana

Post by SteveModana » Wed May 26, 2021 2:10 am

After some messaging with moogmusic back and forth, we have found the following problems:

- moog one does reset the oscs most of the time anyways
- the end of the release phase seems to cause the oscs to reset

As a work around (if you DON'T want the oscs to reset) you can use another env to replace the amp env via the mod matrix (screenshot attached). Here a video where I demonstrate what's going on. At 0:42 you can clearly hear the osc-reset spikes when release is shortened.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqgi81rrv9m7n ... e.mov?dl=0
Attachments
Mod Matrix Replace Env.png